The Student Room Group

Not doing well with grades at start of year 12 :(

(Posted this in another area too)
Hey everyone who sees this,
So I’ve just received my grade for the last chemistry test I had and I was horrified as I got an E. I never ever in my life have received an E. I’m just lost. I’ve not had the most consistent grades too from starting in September. It’s either A*, A or B or C, D and now E. I’m just so upset because I need and want to be predicted an A at least for next year. I’m just defeated but I really need to do better. If anyone has any actual useful tips they can pass on if they did really well at A-Level Chemistry, please let me know. Please only constructive and useful tips and advice. Also, my exam board for Chemistry is OCR. Also I take Biology and Maths (for Maths I do AQA and Biology I do EDUQAS) so any tips for those would be much appreciated too :smile: thank you very much
Reply 1
Which OCR specification, A or B?
Heyyy,

I didn’t take chemistry but did biology but I understand about feeling dejected since I found it the same with bio.
- For me what I used to do was take a sheet of paper and repeat writing down a sentence for things I have to remember for a subject e.g the process of digestion in key detail
- I’d also listen to songs for topics in biology which i found really useful. But be careful and check that it stands align with your exam board.

- I would explain topics to my friend and vice versa as if reciting it. ( we didn’t do the same subjects but helped us both listening and asking questions to each other since we were basically teaching each other :smile: )

- I asked my teacher to do after school revision/help once a week after the school day finished

- You will hear past papers all the time to b your best friend. And it should be. Print out past papers with the Mark scheme. Answer the questions and then correct them. I used to the Mark scheme to revise from too. Helped me remember quite a few things

- You could also ask for a private tutor to help you. I had a biochem uni student tutor me for my first year and honestly they really boosted my confidence with the subject cos I just didn’t even like going to lessons ( I still liked the subject tho)

- you need to figure out what questions you struggling on and what content? Is it application type questions or recall questions? Firstly, revise over things you MUST know:

Print out the teachers guide for chemistry ( or your other two subjects too) Here it tells the teachers what the students must know and I used that to tick off things that I had to know as a minimum.
You gotta also practice application question that make use your head.

Ummmm I know you said you wanted useful tips and advice for Chem but even if this is me talking about biology mainly I thought you could use this for chemistry too.

Crossing fingers this helps you.
loads of people are getting these grades beginning of Y12, dont let it bother you. and is that really how your prediction grades work? it sounds silly to base it off of mocks youve done 2 months after the summer holidays
Reply 4
Original post by Tolgarda
Which OCR specification, A or B?

OCR A , sorry forgot to mention that
Reply 5
Original post by lilTrain
loads of people are getting these grades beginning of Y12, dont let it bother you. and is that really how your prediction grades work? it sounds silly to base it off of mocks youve done 2 months after the summer holidays

Yeah it is, it’s just really defeating knowing I can do much better
Reply 6
Original post by August00
Heyyy,

I didn’t take chemistry but did biology but I understand about feeling dejected since I found it the same with bio.
- For me what I used to do was take a sheet of paper and repeat writing down a sentence for things I have to remember for a subject e.g the process of digestion in key detail
- I’d also listen to songs for topics in biology which i found really useful. But be careful and check that it stands align with your exam board.

- I would explain topics to my friend and vice versa as if reciting it. ( we didn’t do the same subjects but helped us both listening and asking questions to each other since we were basically teaching each other :smile: )

- I asked my teacher to do after school revision/help once a week after the school day finished

- You will hear past papers all the time to b your best friend. And it should be. Print out past papers with the Mark scheme. Answer the questions and then correct them. I used to the Mark scheme to revise from too. Helped me remember quite a few things

- You could also ask for a private tutor to help you. I had a biochem uni student tutor me for my first year and honestly they really boosted my confidence with the subject cos I just didn’t even like going to lessons ( I still liked the subject tho)

- you need to figure out what questions you struggling on and what content? Is it application type questions or recall questions? Firstly, revise over things you MUST know:

Print out the teachers guide for chemistry ( or your other two subjects too) Here it tells the teachers what the students must know and I used that to tick off things that I had to know as a minimum.
You gotta also practice application question that make use your head.

Ummmm I know you said you wanted useful tips and advice for Chem but even if this is me talking about biology mainly I thought you could use this for chemistry too.

Crossing fingers this helps you.

Thank you so so much!! Will definitely try these now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending