The Student Room Group

Official History and Politics applicants thread 2020

OFFICIAL HISTORY AND POLITICS THREAD 2020

I don't think I've seen a thread for this yet, but I've seen lots of people applying for this course so I thought I'd make a thread for us all :smile:

To get it started just fill out the details below :smile:))

Specific Course:

Universities you're applying to:

A level / IB / Higher grades:

GCSE grades:

I'm currently a year 13 applying for History and Politics at Uni with predicted A*A*A
Applied: 11.10.19
GCSEs: 999866A*A*A*AB
FSMQ: A
EPQ: A
Predicted A-Levels: A*A*A (History, French, and English Literature respectively)
Home Student

University of Oxford (St Edmund's Hall) / History and Politics
Date: (23.10.2019) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (date) | Reply: Interview invite / etc.
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection (offer conditions, if any)

University of Edinburgh / History and Politics
Date: (11.10.19) | Reply: Acknowledgement

University of Manchester / Politics and Modern History
Date: (14.10.19) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (14.10.2019) | Reply: Offer (ABB)

London School of Economics and Political Science / Politics and History
Date: (16.10.2019) | Reply: Acknowledgement

Queen Mary University of London / History and Politics
Date: (11.10.19) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (14.10.2019) | Reply: Offer (BBB)

Good luck everyone!!
Good luck! I'm a current HistPol student at LSE, so if anyone applying to LSE has any questions about the course/general university life, let me know :smile:
Original post by LeapingLucy
Good luck! I'm a current HistPol student at LSE, so if anyone applying to LSE has any questions about the course/general university life, let me know :smile:

Awesome, thank you!

Do you remember when they gave out your offer? The wait is making me anxious
Also what's the atmosphere like at LSE? Do students at LSE tend to mix with students from other London unis?
Original post by LeapingLucy

Oh yeah and did you do maths? I dropped it at A level but I heard they rank it highly (even for History and Politics) when considering applications.
Original post by notapieceoffruit
Awesome, thank you!

Do you remember when they gave out your offer? The wait is making me anxious
Also what's the atmosphere like at LSE? Do students at LSE tend to mix with students from other London unis?

I got my offer on the 23rd March - 6 months to the day after I applied. An LSE application definitely requires a large amount of patience!

The LSE campus can feel a little corporate/impersonal, but the four main halls all have a really great community feel that makes up for it - the best halls are by far Passfield, Rosebery, Carr-Saunders and Bankside.

Regarding mixing with students from other London unis, I have friends from secondary school who are at Kings, UCL and Imperial, and I meet up with them quite regularly, but I wouldn't say I've made new friends who go to other unis. Some societies run joint events with equivalent societies at UCL/Kings, but there's not a huge amount of formalised mixing - it's up to each individual really.
Original post by notapieceoffruit
Oh yeah and did you do maths? I dropped it at A level but I heard they rank it highly (even for History and Politics) when considering applications.

I did, but most of my friends on the HistPol course didn't, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The entirety of the compulsory maths content on the course is one week in the first term of GV101 (Intro to Political Science) in which you learn how to read regression tables. There's no other maths that you really need, especially if you choose more qualitative modules for politics in Years 2 and 3.
Applied: 8 January 2020
Predicted AP Scores: 555555 (English Language, English Literature, Psychology, French Language, Human Geography, Capstone Research)
Overall Percentage Average: 95% (or 96% including Capstone)
International Student (I'm from Canada, so my stats are kind of weird and probably unfamiliar for most people on here, but I thought I would include them in case they might help someone)

University of Edinburgh / History and Politics
Date: (9.1.2020) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (10.1.2020) | Reply: Offer (five courses above 80%)

London School of Economics / Politics and History

London School of Economics / International Relations and History

King's College London / History and International Relations

University College London / Politics and International Relations
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest