The Student Room Group

A level sciences required practicals

Hey guys, I have to pick my a levels soon and I am strongly considering Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The exam boards are OCR A for Biology, OCR B for Chemistry and Edexcel for Physics. I have briefly spoke to my teachers about them at my sixth form open evening and they said that I will have to complete some practicals for a practical endorsement or something, but I was wondering if there will also be questions on the practicals in the exam papers or not.
Thanks guys
There are a set number of required practicals in your course and you will perform them, taking notes and writing your methods, results and conclusions in a lab book (though it's not necessary to have a lab book, most schools do it). These practicals can then be assessed during your written papers, there will be a few questions in your paper based on practicals which will either be the same as, or very similar to your required practicals - asking questions about equipment, drawing graphs, hazards ect. - hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mamasaywhatnow
There are a set number of required practicals in your course and you will perform them, taking notes and writing your methods, results and conclusions in a lab book (though it's not necessary to have a lab book, most schools do it). These practicals can then be assessed during your written papers, there will be a few questions in your paper based on practicals which will either be the same as, or very similar to your required practicals - asking questions about equipment, drawing graphs, hazards ect. - hope this helps :smile:

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. Do you know if many of the questions are based on the practicals because I always struggle to remember the practicals and there seems to be a lot at A-Level. Thanks again!
No worries! It's not so much about the exact practicals you do, but more about the skills from them and learning certain things (e.g. what a source of error would be when using a burette). I'd say maybe 2/3 questions per paper are on practical skills, usually have a calculation as a main part of them.
Reply 4
Original post by mamasaywhatnow
No worries! It's not so much about the exact practicals you do, but more about the skills from them and learning certain things (e.g. what a source of error would be when using a burette). I'd say maybe 2/3 questions per paper are on practical skills, usually have a calculation as a main part of them.

Awesome, thanks again! Not sure if you do A-level Physics or not, but if you do, do you do a lot on electricity? I am really stuck on whether to do physics because sometimes I enjoy it and sometimes I really don't and I think it is mostly the electricity topic that I don't like.

Quick Reply

Latest