The Student Room Group

If you walked into an Indian restaurant that claimed to be authentic..

But was owned and ran by British white people would this put you off? Same question if you walked into a fish and chip shop that said it is traditional fish and chips but everyone in there was from pakistan would you be put off?

Note this question is nothing to do with race more to do with expectations. Interested in what you think. Also this isn’t based on a real situation its just me and my creative mind going HAM.

Scroll to see replies

i would find it odd
Original post by ThuggerThugger
But was owned and ran by British white people would this put you off? Same question if you walked into a fish and chip shop that said it is traditional fish and chips but everyone in there was from pakistan would you be put off?

Note this question is nothing to do with race more to do with expectations. Interested in what you think. Also this isn’t based on a real situation its just me and my creative mind going HAM.

No
As long as the food is ok I couldn’t give a **** tbh.
My (white, English) wife cooks some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten.
No, because I’m an an awkward bean so I spend as little time as I can speaking to waiting staff. So I don’t recognise their skin colour. 😂
Original post by ageshallnot
My (white, English) wife cooks some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten.

Your wife Indian?
No authenticity of food is not based on the ethnicity of the chef, it is the recipe that matters.
Your wife Indian?

What did I write?
Reply 9
Best chippy by me Nan's used to be ran by Greek Cypriots
Reply 10
The chef's ethnicity won't play a part in their cuisine being authentic. There really isn't any criteria as to what determines a dish to be authentic. Whenever people claim a certain food isn't authentic, what they mean is that it isn't a true copy of their expectations (based on a dish they've tried elsewhere within its country of origin, which also varies greatly within its own country... so there really is no true authenticity to it). One of the big constraints for majority of exotic cuisine is that, if it is expensive, it cannot be authentic, as in their place of origin food is much more cheaper and its harder to procure the ingredients found in their countries of origin.
What did I write?

Sorry read it wrong, tbh you probably consider salt on chicken to be a curry anyway.
Original post by kkboyk
The chef's ethnicity won't play a part in their cuisine being authentic. There really isn't any criteria as to what determines a dish to be authentic. Whenever people claim a certain food isn't authentic, what they mean is that it isn't a true copy of their expectations (based on a dish they've tried elsewhere within its country of origin, which also varies greatly within its own country... so there really is no true authenticity to it). One of the big constraints for majority of exotic cuisine is that, if it is expensive, it cannot be authentic, as in their place of origin food is much more cheaper and its harder to procure the ingredients found in their countries of origin.

So your saying it would not cast any doubt on your mind in the scenario above?

NAh, there are many Pakistani and British people where i live that run shops like that and they're just fine. In fact you could say they taste quite the same to any original.
Sorry read it wrong, tbh you probably consider salt on chicken to be a curry anyway.

Oh, you can read!

One sideline I have is mystery dining, i.e. going to restaurants to check the food and service. So I think I have a reasonable palate.
Original post by -SilentTorture-
NAh, there are many Pakistani and British people where i live that run shops like that and they're just fine. In fact you could say they taste quite the same to any original.

When you say “British” are you saying white? There are Indian restaurants that are owned by British whites? Never heard of this tbh it was a make believe scenario but interested in knowing of any.
What did I write?

:laugh:
Oh, you can read!

One sideline I have is mystery dining, i.e. going to restaurants to check the food and service. So I think I have a reasonable palate.

:gasp: I'd love to do this. It's my idea of heaven.
No.
My favourite fish&chip shop is run by a family that emigrated to england from sri lanka.
My favourite italian restaurant has persian owners.

It is the recipes, ingredients, menu and style of service that determines cuisine authenticity.
Not the nationality of the chef or staff.
I doubt we’d find any Indian restaurant anywhere in England serving authentic Indian food.
What they serve is specifically catered to a British palate

Quick Reply

Latest