The Student Room Group

How to revise for history gcse?

I am currently revising for my history gcse mocks and am not sure the most efficient way to revise? Any help would be appreciated!
Revision cards with key dates on and mind maps or spider diagrams that you can put key events on in chronological order to help your whole topic understanding.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
I think the best thing now is to learn how to write the essay and focuse on that more than the content bc with history you have to do that the night before. exam anyway but try to learn the basics of each topic already I self thought history GCSE and got a 7 , and thats how I did it
good luck btw
Reply 3
Original post by 15k.mcgowan
Revision cards with key dates on and mind maps or spider diagrams that you can put key events on in chronological order to help your whole topic understanding.
Hope this helps :smile:

thanks, that's really useful x
Reply 4
thanks very much, I'll try that x
Reply 5
i'm doing history a level at the moment and this is the approach i'm taking to revision:
- making notes from the text book on each chapter, and adding detail from my class notes to create a finalised set of notes (because my class notes are a mess)
- condensing these notes into revision cards (mostly key dates)
- i'm also making these revision cards on quizlet and learning them on there, which i've found really useful
- i then intend on making some mind maps and stuff like that
- PRACTICE ESSAYS
the main thing i regret from gcse level is not doing enough practice essays outside of class.
if your mocks are coming up soon then don't stress too much about learning everything in a ton of detail, but just try and learn the basics and key dates and definitely try and make time for a practice essay or two!
Original post by mayaalauren
I am currently revising for my history gcse mocks and am not sure the most efficient way to revise? Any help would be appreciated!

Revision flash cards will help, if you are able to note condense
which is essentially the ability to pick out info you will need rather than getting everything down from the text book.
you could use websites like Seneca which is what I used for GCSE history which just offers a more relaxed way of revising, maybe you want to take notes from there to make them into flash cards
watching YouTube videos on the topics could possibly help too.
tutor2u should have your history specification if you want to read notes that are I guess condensed.
But the main thing you want to do is break it down to more manageable information such examples could be with in Germany course for example TOV (treaty of Versailles) small things like this just not writing the whole thing because when you do active recall (which has proven to be highly effective) your brain will just make sense of it, so you can write it in a way by just looking air it might not make sense, but when your retrieving the info your brain will make sense of the information during your mocks or final exams .
And also I’d say spaced repetition is also highly effective, doing it in a systematic fashion (which you’ll need to plan your life and organise it if you haven’t done so already) Todoist is very good at this also Notion which is the best note taking app I’ve came across, which you can get for free if you sign up with your school email, or it’s around £4 a month, good luck I hope this was helpful and it’s encouraging to see someone take their mocks seriously good luck mate

Quick Reply