The Student Room Group

Barts and the London (QMUL) A101 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davidthomasjnr
I didn't ask but I would assume they only consider what they have already agreed to assess in their new 2020 entry critera. However, I think it would be useful to talk about in the interview.

Thanks, that makes sense :smile:
Reply 61
I believe that they have slightly updated their Medicine Graduate Entry page:

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/full-entry-requirements/medicine-graduate-entry-mbbs/
Anyone received confirmation emails for the A101 course? I've received a confirmation email for the A100, but not the A101 for some reason?
Original post by swiftab97
Anyone received confirmation emails for the A101 course? I've received a confirmation email for the A100, but not the A101 for some reason?

I have from A101 but I submitted mine ages ago

I haven't received one for A101 yet either x
Anyone received confirmation emails for the A101 course? I've received a confirmation I received a confirmation email for A101, but it didn't go into my main inbox for some reason. email for the A100, but not the A101 for some reason?

I received a confirmation email for A101, but it didn't go into my main inbox for some reason.
Reply 66
Original post by biopa
Hey, I have just applied with 2240 (I know it’s the lowest possible score but I wasn’t sure whether to actually apply and only had a week to prepare for it), but I have a 2:1 in biomed and current studying PGDip physician associate...what do u guys think 😬 having just read the discussion, I feel like I’m pretty screwed!

No chance here, sorry. They changed their system last year to not consider anything higher than your undergraduate. The lowest last year was 2750 UCAT for entry with a first.
Again, sorry.
Reply 67
Original post by 548
No chance here, sorry. They changed their system last year to not consider anything higher than your undergraduate. The lowest last year was 2750 UCAT for entry with a first.
Again, sorry.

That’s what I thought! Never mind!
Reply 68
Hello again Barts thread,

As I've mentioned on every other GEM thread, there is also a spreadsheet out there for you:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1raOdIae0T-QGzOIjGocTqyJpevYz-CSj4SKFn8Dj2kw/edit#gid=901503487

Let me know if I've missed something out. Add in your details as interviews come through.

Thank you and good luck!
Reply 69
Has anyone received any communication from Barts? I received a request to explain a gap in education between my sixth form and undergraduate. I took a gap year, not sure if that will disadvantage me somehow :s
Reply 70
Hi, I also received this. Haven't got a response yet though :/

I can’t see it being a disadvantage since its quite common for people to take gap years. They probably just wanted to know so they can fill in the gaps.

Just wondering, did you attach anything to your response as evidence for what you did?
(edited 4 years ago)
I also received an email about explaining a gap year, but didn't receive a response. I didn't attach anything as I wasn't instructed to do so (I believe the attachment section said something along the lines of, 'if you've been instructed to attach').

I think it should be fine. Lots of people take a gap year/year out.
Original post by IndigoBloom
I also received an email about explaining a gap year, but didn't receive a response. I didn't attach anything as I wasn't instructed to do so (I believe the attachment section said something along the lines of, 'if you've been instructed to attach').

I think it should be fine. Lots of people take a gap year/year out.

Part of my biomedical science degree was a placement year (totaling 4 years), but as I was still asked, I provided my transcript as evidence. I think evidence is only important if you "must" prove it. If they had read my personal statement, however, they would have known I had a placement :/
Original post by davidthomasjnr
Part of my biomedical science degree was a placement year (totaling 4 years), but as I was still asked, I provided my transcript as evidence. I think evidence is only important if you "must" prove it. If they had read my personal statement, however, they would have known I had a placement :/

I wouldn't worry too much. They gets thousands of applicants, so I imagine at this stage they're just still in the process of filtering. They probably won't look at personal statements until possibly January time. Good luck with everything :smile:
Hiya! Not an applicant quite yet (got another year of my degree to go), but I would like to know your opinion on my chances to even get to the interview stage with Barts - nothing more valuable than the opinion from a current applicant in stress!

I scored 5 in Biology and Chemistry HL during May 2017 examinations (IB), their entrance requirement (around ABB, for QM this would point at overall 32 points IB) meets my graduation scores from 2017.
I did a year in a different university where I dropped out because I had difficulties at home which forced me to relocate back home. Cannot say that is a year retake, since I dropped out from the uni mid year (after first semester) and begun my undergraduate studies in the UK.
Currently, I am a student at QMUL myself - I do a degree in a social science, which is not very related to medicine and it is a Bachelor of Arts. I am predicted a first in my degree, my average fluctuates between 74 and 76.

I have not taken any tests, but I would like to see your opinion on whether I stand any chance applying with a first in a social science degree, after completing my bachelors. I see that most applicants have some type of natural science or something related to medicine, so... I might be a complete odd outlier.

I wanted to study medicine for most of my life, but during my very teenage years, I felt demotivated and people around me managed to convince me against this idea. Ended up going down the social science path and I am regretting it, but I am too far in my degree. To compensate, I have been thinking of doing a MSc in Public Health, in the case that my undergrad doesn't work for them. Although I am a student at QM right now, Barts is a different thing from the Mile End situation.

Would I stand any chance applying with a BA social science with a 1st only, in connection with a good testing score? :frown:

Thanks!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by kmequeen
Hiya! Not an applicant quite yet (got another year of my degree to go), but I would like to know your opinion on my chances to even get to the interview stage with Barts - nothing more valuable than the opinion from a current applicant in stress!

I scored 5 in Biology and Chemistry HL during May 2017 examinations (IB), their entrance requirement (around ABB, for QM this would point at overall 32 points IB) meets my graduation scores from 2017.
I did a year in a different university where I dropped out because I had difficulties at home which forced me to relocate back home. Cannot say that is a year retake, since I dropped out from the uni mid year (after first semester) and begun my undergraduate studies in the UK.
Currently, I am a student at QMUL myself - I do a degree in a social science, which is not very related to medicine and it is a Bachelor of Arts. I am predicted a first in my degree, my average fluctuates between 74 and 76.

I have not taken any tests, but I would like to see your opinion on whether I stand any chance applying with a first in a social science degree, after completing my bachelors. I see that most applicants have some type of natural science or something related to medicine, so... I might be a complete odd outlier.

I wanted to study medicine for most of my life, but during my very teenage years, I felt demotivated and people around me managed to convince me against this idea. Ended up going down the social science path and I am regretting it, but I am too far in my degree. To compensate, I have been thinking of doing a MSc in Public Health, in the case that my undergrad doesn't work for them. Although I am a student at QM right now, Barts is a different thing from the Mile End situation.

Would I stand any chance applying with a BA social science with a 1st only, in connection with a good testing score? :frown:

Thanks!!

Hey there,

I think if you're very keen on QMUL and get a good UCAT score, you might as well try? I do feel like people tend to give quite varied responses on the medical forums on here, though, so I'd recommend going to one of the QMUL open days and asking members of the admissions team they're the ones who truly have an understanding of who's likely to get in. But if you are very keen on a university and meet all of the requirements on their website, I'd say go for it you can always put another university down as a 'safer' choice.

I reckon your best bet is to start working on UCAT asap in the new year (i.e. get Medify or use the free materials), so you can try and get the best score you possibly can. Make sure you have varied work experience in healthcare and check that you meet all the requirements on the QMUL page: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/full-entry-requirements/medicine-graduate-entry-mbbs/

I really liked QMUL when I went to the open day, but I would also say it's important to go to as many open days as possible for unis you could get into there might be somewhere else you haven't even thought of yet.

Best of luck with everything :smile:
Hi when are the interviews released?
Original post by gradmed98

I'm not expecting to hear back until at least early-mid January. They get loads of applications, and I think the interviews last year were in Jan or Feb?
Original post by gradmed98

I got an email saying they will start telling us if we have been shortlisted from 2-13th Dec. Then formal interview invites go out a bit later.
Original post by KBen25
I got an email saying they will start telling us if we have been shortlisted from 2-13th Dec. Then formal interview invites go out a bit later.

I panicked a bit when I read this, then realised that I actually did get this email too (when I first sent my UCAS application).

Seems like we'll hear more in December, then. Last year, the interviews were January 15th–18th.

Fingers crossed for everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending