The Student Room Group

The Jeremy Corbyn interview

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
I am 100% behind Corbyn and, if there is another leadership challenge, I will vote for Corbyn again. If Corbyn selects a replacement then I will vote for that person. I know many others, who share my view.

The Labour Party needs to be in Government to implement the policies needed to bring the country out of this rot.

You seem to be a Marxist yourself.
Original post by Reality Check
But without effective opposition, this terrible Tory government will be even more autocratic, resistant to scrutiny and high-handed than they have been.

Yup. We need a slightly left of centre party in opposition to the Conservatives. The far left Labour party is unelectable and cannot be effective as a threat. Any sensible person is far more terrified of a Marxist government, which is what Labour represents now, than they are of Brexit.
Original post by Good bloke

I still can't believe that in 2019 we can still validly use the word 'Marxist' to describe someone who subscribes to a 'mainstream' political party. It's like a bad dream.
Yup. We need a slightly left of centre party in opposition to the Conservatives. The far left Labour party is unelectable and cannot be effective as a threat. Any sensible person is far more terrified of a Marxist government, which is what Labour represents now, than they are of Brexit.

You see, I really think, deep down, that no-one is foolish enough to vote for them apart from the precariat, who've got nothing to lose. Literally. But I thought that about Brexit...

I still feel that after having done such self-harm as to vote for Brexit, this country wouldn't then go on to vote for its economic and social collapse. To use a TSR-ism, amirite?
I still can't believe that in 2019 we can still validly use the word 'Marxist' to describe someone who subscribes to a 'mainstream' political party. It's like a bad dream.

More of a nightmare really. I find it difficult to believe that a few supposedly sane mainstream politicians - candidates for government office and ex-ministers - could have so taken leave of their senses as to nominate Corbyn 'to broaden the debate' when they had drawn up the party's leadership election rules expressly to make sure such a thing could not happen. I despair at how stupid these people have been. I am thinking in particular of Margaret Beckett (who admitted she was a moron to do so) and Sadiq Khan.
I still feel that after having done such self-harm as to vote for Brexit, this country wouldn't then go on to vote for its economic and social collapse.

Nobody has ever seriously over-estimated the intelligence of the public; it is impossible. I find the prospect of these people coming to power deeply depressing and am thankful that most people agree with me. The rest are either devoid of analytical skills or Marxists themselves.
The rest are either devoid of analytical skills or Marxists themselves.

Yes, like the poor, fools you will always have with you. I find the prospect of Corbyn as worrying as I found these popping through the door:

91jJjFB0x7L.jpg

How am I Marxist? Because I want better conditions for the people? Or because I want the rich and powerful to make their fair contribution to the State?

The Labour Party is not Marxist but supports better conditions for the people.
We can do it. If people like you, me and others can come together and support the Labour Party, we can unleash the potential of this great nation and retake our place at the helm of global affairs whilst rebuilding our nation as after almost a decade of Tory and Lib Dem disaster. We are doing this for the many and not the few.

If you want to see an accurate predictor of what Corbyn might achieve in Britain if he comes to power you would do well to see what his fellow-travellers in Venezuela have achieved in charge of the country with the world's largest oil reserves. Corbyn lauds them to the skies whenever he has time to spare from his manhole catalogue and allotment.

But I'm "the people'. I'm as much 'the people' as someone on benefits is. The Labour Party doesn't support better conditions for me, though.

This idea of 'the people' is like 'points based immigration system' from the Tories. It doesn't mean anything.
Original post by Drewski
Labour will not win a UK general election without Scotland. Simple as that.

While the SNP are strong, the Conservatives will always be in power.

I understand. That is why the people of Scotland have to support the Labour Party.
How am I Marxist?

Because a Marxist state is exactly what you are going to achieve if you successfully follow the path you have outlined. If you do it in ignorance you have time to learn and change. If you do it wilfully you are a Marxist. You are voting for a party led by a cabal of self-avowed Marxists who intend to bring down capitalism, and who cannot believe their eyes that they have got so far towards their goal after a lifetime of trying.
(edited 4 years ago)
But I'm "the people'. I'm as much 'the people' as someone on benefits is. The Labour Party doesn't support better conditions for me, though.

This idea of 'the people' is like 'points based immigration system' from the Tories. It doesn't mean anything.

You are right that you are part of the people. The Party support better conditions for everyone. Better healthcare, better infrastructure, good education, excellent welfare and services. You benefit when the Labour Party is in power.

It has not been Marxist until this period after 2015. It spent the thirty year period until then in trying to rid itself of the Marxists, but the idiocy of Beckett and Khan let them back in. It will be a miracle if control can be wrested back by the sensibly moderate members.
You are right that you are part of the people. The Party support better conditions for everyone. Better healthcare, better infrastructure, good education, excellent welfare and services. You benefit when the Labour Party is in power.

No, I won't. If by some miracle they did get into power, then I'd leave the country, and I know plenty of likeminded people. You can kiss your taxbase goodbye then.

I have private medical insurance *yes I know the NHS integration. I was educated privately, and will educate my own children privately. I don't use 'welfare'. I make these choices as a free citizen. However, I pay a ****load of tax - tax which I am content to pay because I live in a country where the stronger support the weaker and I consent to this.

Labour doesn't subscribe to this - they want to take my money and assets away from me and make decisions about ownership of property and resources on my behalf. I wouldn't want to live in a country where this was the norm. But it's not going to happen, so that's the main thing.
It has not been Marxist until this period after 2015. It spent the thirty year period until then in trying to rid itself of the Marxists, but the idiocy of Beckett and Khan let them back in. It will be a miracle if control can be wrested back by the sensibly moderate members.

The Labour Party is a broad church with one fundamental desire which is to support the welfare and progress of everyone. Some policies may be too far but it does not mean that the Party is suddenly a threat to this country.
I understand. That is why the people of Scotland have to support the Labour Party.

And they don't.

So now what?

You do realise that just because you said it, it doesn't make it so?
Because a Marxist state is exactly what you are going to achieve if you successfully follow the path you have outlined. If you do it in ignorance you have time to learn and change. If you do it wilfully you are a Marxist. You are voting for a party led by a cabal of self-avowed Marxists who intend to bring down capitalism, and who cannot believe their eyes that they have got so far towards their goal after a lifetime of trying.

I am voting for a Party that puts the people at the centre of its policies, not the rich and powerful. I support a Party that focuses on the NHS, welfare, education and many more abandoned facets of the country.

I support a Party that believes this country is much more than London and the bankers in the City. That everyone matters whether you live in Hartlepool or Exeter or whether you come from a small town in Aberdeen or dilapidated neighbourhoods in Swansea.

I support a Party that wants policies for the many and not the few. That wants progress for all and not for some. That Party is the Labour Party.
I am voting for a Party that puts the people at the centre of its policies, not the rich and powerful. I support a Party that focuses on the NHS, welfare, education and many more abandoned facets of the country.

I support a Party that believes this country is much more than London and the bankers in the City. That everyone matters whether you live in Hartlepool or Exeter or whether you come from a small town in Aberdeen or dilapidated neighbourhoods in Swansea.

I support a Party that wants policies for the many and not the few. That wants progress for all and not for some. That Party is the Labour Party.

All of which is meaningless buzzword bingo and the voters see through it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending