The Student Room Group

dr jekyll and mr hyde

How might uttersons inability to acknowledge the truth contribute how Stevenson presents reputation in dr jekyll and mr hyde
The idea of revolutionary science is so abhorrent and taboo that Mr Utterson cannot grasp such ideas, he represents the majority of Victorian ideals about being respectful and religious.
Reply 2
Original post by hypez
How might uttersons inability to acknowledge the truth contribute how Stevenson presents reputation in dr jekyll and mr hyde

Quite a convoluted question... GCSE questions are usually a bit clearer than this.

I would just focus on the idea of reputation:

- the professional nature of the principle characters
- how Hyde is the opposite (base, animalistic, uncaring of reputation)
- how Jekyll creates Hyde in order to fulfil his dark fantasies and maintain his reputation
Reply 3
Original post by SweetLeilani
The idea of revolutionary science is so abhorrent and taboo that Mr Utterson cannot grasp such ideas, he represents the majority of Victorian ideals about being respectful and religious.

ty
Reply 4
Good points so far and I agree with Gilwern; it does seem like a complex question for GCSE. However, we must be prepared for every eventuality. I'd develop an analysis of Utterson as the archetype of the Victorian gentleman: it would be rude to challenge Jekyll.

“My good Utterson,” said the doctor, “this is very good of you, this is downright good of you, and I cannot find words to thank you in. I believe you fully; I would trust you before any man alive, ay, before myself, if I could make the choice; but indeed it isn’t what you fancy; it is not so bad as that; and just to put your good heart at rest, I will tell you one thing: the moment I choose, I can be rid of Mr. Hyde. I give you my hand upon that; and I thank you again and again; and I will just add one little word, Utterson, that I’m sure you’ll take in good part: this is a private matter, and I beg of you to let it sleep.”

Utterson reflected a little, looking in the fire.

“I have no doubt you are perfectly right,” he said at last, getting to his feet.

From Chapter 3.
Reply 5
Original post by Davy611
Good points so far and I agree with Gilwern; it does seem like a complex question for GCSE. However, we must be prepared for every eventuality. I'd develop an analysis of Utterson as the archetype of the Victorian gentleman: it would be rude to challenge Jekyll.

“My good Utterson,” said the doctor, “this is very good of you, this is downright good of you, and I cannot find words to thank you in. I believe you fully; I would trust you before any man alive, ay, before myself, if I could make the choice; but indeed it isn’t what you fancy; it is not so bad as that; and just to put your good heart at rest, I will tell you one thing: the moment I choose, I can be rid of Mr. Hyde. I give you my hand upon that; and I thank you again and again; and I will just add one little word, Utterson, that I’m sure you’ll take in good part: this is a private matter, and I beg of you to let it sleep.”

Utterson reflected a little, looking in the fire.

“I have no doubt you are perfectly right,” he said at last, getting to his feet.

From Chapter 3.

thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending