The Student Room Group

LGBT Protests Banned Outside of Birmingham School..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RJ7781
Britain used to hang people who engaged in buggery until the 1900's.Less than 30 years ago Britain banned the promotion of homosexuality. It was very similar to Russia today tbh. The defining feature of homophobia is not colour but religion. Particularly the abrahamic religions.

In Britain we hang people for stealing a loaf of bread and sent them aboard. Russia is not Britain which we are talking about hear so they are also a different community with homophobic views in Britain but they happen mainly white or Asian.
Reply 61
Original post by looloo2134
In Britain we hang people for stealing a loaf of bread and sent them aboard.

Seems a bit wasteful to kill someone then ship their corpse off as well...

Russia is not Britain which we are talking about hear so they are also a different community with homophobic views in Britain but they happen mainly white or Asian.

They're not that different..
Reply 62
I'm gay, I hate these people with a passion, but I still think they should be able to protest
Original post by RogerOxon
I suspect that many of the protesters don't actually know what was said to the kids. There have been threats made to teachers. Religious indoctrination at its worst.

When you watch coverage of the protests, it's totally obvious that this is a particular Imam and his group in B'ham using this to make Islamist rhetorical points and to make a power grab amongst their community. They lie through their teeth about what the school is actually doing and make many false claims on placards, leaflets, etc.

That said, there's a wider issue here about the increasing sense of incompatibility between the widely accepted values and norms of a secular liberal state and a particular group of UK Muslims who simply (they state this) do not accept them and will not accept them. We are going to have more tensions like this and they will seek to intensify them and recruit supporters. I'm not sure what we are going to do about this, but it is looking like we will need to defend society against their intolerance and medieval religious bigotry and hypocrisy.
Original post by Shimo
I'm gay, I hate these people with a passion, but I still think they should be able to protest

They can, just not near the school.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
When you watch coverage of the protests, it's totally obvious that this is a particular Imam and his group in B'ham using this to make Islamist rhetorical points and to make a power grab amongst their community. They lie through their teeth about what the school is actually doing and make many false claims on placards, leaflets, etc.

It's also notable that the three people named in the court order, the three most vociferous protestors, didn't have children at the school.
Original post by Drewski
It's also notable that the three people named in the court order, the three most vociferous protestors, didn't have children at the school.

Not surprising, but an indication of their cynicism. They are totally using this for political point scoring and extremist-recruiting.
Good to hear.
Original post by RJ7781
They've been protesting about this for months. They've more than had their say. In fact I've seen several videos where the protesters are outright inciting hate. We've been far too tolerant of this crap for far too long. Especially considering the school has no power to do anything about it. They have to teach it because to do otherwise would be illegal. They are bound by law.

If they're inciting hate then that's one thing, but to say "they've more than had their say" imo is a slippery slope.
Original post by QE2
The protests haven't been banned. They are just not allowed to have them directly outside the school. Which is only reasonable.

Ok fair enough
Reply 70
Original post by stress-eating
yes because white conservatives have been sooooooo supportive of the LGBT community. We already had homophobia before we let 'aliens' into 'our land'

Totally irrelevant whataboutery. Show me where all the white conservatives protesting outside of schools are then? I live in a very white and conservative area, still haven't seen a single protest. How strange..... Yes we had homophobia in this country, and it took a long time to stamp it out of polite society. Why on Earth would you want to allow people who threaten to undermine that achievement into this country?

If you're so against immigration and other cultures, why is your username a God of norse mythology. And before you say he was a Saxon God, Saxons invaded Britain and killed the people who were there before them...the celts...who were also from Europe. There is no such thing as an 'indigenous Briton' or not a group that can be easily defined anyway.

Oh here we go. This old chesnut....

Alright, I'll bite. First of all, it's a myth that the Saxons wiped out the Celts, at most they interbred with some of them, and this has been conclusively proven by modern genetic science. Almost all English people today still have at least 60% Celtic (R1b) DNA, and that percentage is considerably higher among populations in the Western regions of England. The highest percentages of Germanic DNA tend to be confined to East Anglia and the South East, and it ranges anywhere between 10 - 40%, but there is debate about where and when this admixture arrived, it's likely there was movement and mixing between the South East of Britain and the Low Countries and Northern Germania long before the Saxon "invasion". And I use those inverted commas because there is actually little evidence to suggest there was ever a large scale Saxon invasion, it appears to have been a relatively gradual takeover of the native aristocratic/ruling classes, rather than outright conquest. It's also difficult to say where native British/Celtic cultural practices ended and Germanic begins, because the two shared a lot of characteristics as did almost all North Western European peoples. There probably wasn't much difference between the religious practices either, both the Celtic and Germanic religions shared the same roots in proto Indo-European polytheism, it also seems to have been a fairly common practice throughout pre-Christian Europe for people to adopt and incorporate Gods of other cultures into their own religions. Perhaps the biggest change of all was the language (and later the adoption of Christianity, even there we find syncretism with the traditional pagan practices, further evidence of their flexible approach to religion)

This is of course all inconsequential to the situation we are in today and you know damn well it is, you're just trying to kick the issue into the long grass. You're talking about ancient movements and conflicts between peoples who were not at all dissimilar, all within North Western European, a tiny fraction of the Earth in the grand scheme of things. It's not comparable to the issue of mass-migration from all four corners of the globe we face today.

And one more thing, if we are going by the reasoning that "there's no such thing as native British because 10,000 years ago your ancestors came from somewhere else", then nobody on Earth besides the handfull of people who reside in the Horn of Africa can claim to be indigenous to anywhere. Because centuries, if not millennia of occupation coupled with the toil, struggle and sacrifice that goes into building a cohesive nation, community and culture means absolutely nothing, apparently.
Muslim children need this education not least because without it, a great many of them will only get their information via their homophobic parents.
Two points.
A while ago a survey in
universities found that a quarter of British Muslims wanted homosexuality to be made illegal now. And that was only the ones that openly admitted it as homophobic bigotry is rather frowned on at uni.
Secondly when some time ago a map of homophobic attitudes was drawn up the survey producers fully expected rural Wales, Scotland and Yorkshire and the likes, where there are fewer open gays, to be top of the list and inner cities to be more tolerant.
Guess what? Inner cities were the most homophobic due to immigrants communities . Turns out when large numbers come from other countries with a non western attitude to the LGBT the community and don't assimilate, they bring their bigoted views with them.
Without breaking this cycle by educating their kids, this will never change.
Original post by QE2
Which is probably the intention.

I like your new Avatar, QE2. I predict he will be the future Labour leader, after they lose in the GE and Corbyn resigns. ( That's if he does of course. Most party leaders resign after they lose an election). But I think your man Starmer is Prime Ministerial in a way that Corbyn and McDonnell could never be. And IF he becomes Labour leader, then he really will be a credible threat to the Conservatives.
Original post by richards4775
If they're inciting hate then that's one thing, but to say "they've more than had their say" imo is a slippery slope.

We don't allow complete free speech though. You can't invite hatred or abuse people both of which these protesters have done. If a bunch of white people were standing outside a school full of black kids and protesting interracial couples it would have been shut down immediately. Yet apparently gay couples are fair game. They've been allowed to spread hated for months. Enough is enough.
Reply 74
Yes, it's about time this happened. Few points for the uninformed

1) The 'pro-LGBT material' consists of books with a penguin with two dads not malicious or sexual content as made out by the protester's

2) This has started to take a serious mental toll on the staff of the school who have had to deal with this for about 6 months as well as local people (some of which are LGBT)

3) The protester's had so far not complied to any law's put in place regulating the protest's, for example the protest being limited to certain area's or stop using megaphones (because it's a busy primary school) they completely ignored it and carried on.

They should really stop because they are becoming the laughing stock of Birmingham. When you come to a western country it really shouldn't be a surprise your child is being taught modern western values.

I think the reason this situation caused such a reaction was because Sparkhill (where the school is) is a Muslim majority area in Birmingham and I do think because of that the parent's thought they children wouldn't have to discuss LGBT.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RJ7781
Britain used to hang people who engaged in buggery until the 1900's.

You are wrong. The last executions were in 1835.

Recently an author Naomi Wolf had her book pulped when she misunderstood court records and said that executions continued. The English legal system was so wedded to legal fictions that there were even fictitious death sentences.
I think the issue is, is that if you want LGBT community members to properly be a part of society then you need to stop acting as though there’s a difference. Literally the only difference is that they are attracted to the same sex. It’s probably one of the least most interesting things about a person. Sexuality is predominantly about sexual feelings, so yes I think promoting it too young is a bad idea, however I see nothing grievously wrong with the works that were put out, but there needs to be a respect for parents’ views as well. And I’m probably more qualified to speak about this than most being both gay and Muslim. I know what a fun butt end of a joke sigh. But there you go.
Original post by nulli tertius
You are wrong. The last executions were in 1835.

Recently an author Naomi Wolf had her book pulped when she misunderstood court records and said that executions continued. The English legal system was so wedded to legal fictions that there were even fictitious death sentences.

Ok fine I got the dates slightly wrong. It detracts nothing from my point. This country has a long history of homophobia.Its nothing to do with your colour. Indeed a lot of laws in certain African countries banning homosexuality are in fact colonial ones imposed originally by the British.
Original post by RJ7781
Ok fine I got the dates slightly wrong. It detracts nothing from my point. This country has a long history of homophobia.Its nothing to do with your colour. Indeed a lot of laws in certain African countries banning homosexuality are in fact colonial ones imposed originally by the British.

It's more accurate to think of anti-gay oppression as a global phenomenon. The legal position in the UK was similar (and sometimes less harsh) than in many other countries at the time. Even in places like India, where in parts of the country there had been what looked like tolerance towards gay people historically, there were oppressive attitudes and cultures.
Original post by RJ7781

I only picked you up on it because the Naomi Wolf business had made that particular piece of false history prominent.

Britain has a long but very patchy history of homophobia. Alan Turing was convicted in Spring 1952 and killed himself in 1954. At the same time Benjamin Britten was being commissed to write the opera for the Coronation of the Queen in 1953 which starred his partner Peter Pears. What is more everyone in the audience, from the Queen downwards, knew they were lovers and didn't give a damn. No Suffolk policeman raided their home. No-one interfered with their lives together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending