The Student Room Group

Grow Your Grade #1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mildredofthetaco
hey guys!
feeling really motivated to post after finishing a revision session today! So, what have I been up to? well, there's quite a bit. I got my mock timetable which is very stressful as I just have basically a week straight of exams and then another week which has way less but I still hate looking at it. I made a revision timetable on the TSR study planner and I'm breaking down my sessions into sub-topics on adapt app. My first exam is geography on the 22nd Nov but they did spring these mocks on us very suddenly so I haven't got enough time to full make flash cards on everything, I'm just making them on my case studies and then using seneca for everything else.
I wanted to do revision yesterday but I was at my friend's 16th birthday party, I didn't get much done because I got back at like 10pm lol. Today I went out into town to get a few bits for my shoebox which I'm giving to the samaritan's purse to give to a child at christmas. I bought an unruled note book from sostrene greene (they have really cute stationery in there btw!), a pack of pens, a set with pencils, a pencil sharpener and a ruler, a pack of 3 scrunchies and a hairbrush. I'm really hoping the girl it gets sent to likes it! Today I also went into quiz and picked my prom dress, I went into quiz because my sister works there and I get 50% off lmao.

Anyway, enough of that! Revision wise today I've done quite a bit! My friend taught me about the Pomodoro method and I've really been liking it!
Basically:
25mins revision
5 min break
25mins revision
5minn break
25mins revision
15min break
and then repeat!
Anyhow, this week I've made 5 English lit posters which I've stuck up on the wall opposite my bed, I've made a history poster and I've made 2 bilogy posters. I also made some more flashcards for geography-these ones were about hurricane Katrina (more like hurricane tortilla) because she's my tropical storm case study. I'm also gonna attach a picture of my current room situation-there is mess EVERYWHERE and it's all school stuff, I have no where to put it! I bought a chest of drawers specifically for school stuff but since the I have accumulate so much school stuff that the drawers can no longer contain it!
I've also attached a picture of the drawers because I just feel like they're my only support mechanism right now lol. In the top drawer I have revision guides and flashcards, in the second drawer I have three folders (one of which barely closes because if the amount of stuff which is piled in it) the third drawer has notebooks and plastic wallets and the last drawer has all my year 11 books in it.

Just for clarification I feel like I should also say what I'm actually studying for GCSE lol, I realised I never actually stated it!
What do you think I took?

Spoiler

Your posters look great :yep:
But the real thing I noticed was the bottle at the side of your bed. I have the same one :lol:
By the way, do you use A3 paper or A4 paper for your posters?
Also, are you doing tags?
Original post by QueenAelin
Geography is a great subject at A-level! Do you think you’ll go on to study it at uni, too?

I don’t think I’m going on to study it at uni, but it’s a really good facilitating subject at alevel to get into uni lol
Original post by _Mia101
Your posters look great :yep:
But the real thing I noticed was the bottle at the side of your bed. I have the same one :lol:
By the way, do you use A3 paper or A4 paper for your posters?
Also, are you doing tags?

Gotta love the wilko off brand hydroflask sksksk and I oop lol. For my posters I use A4 paper as I feel like it forces me to summarise more than an A3 sheet would. Also, what are tags?
Original post by mildredofthetaco
Gotta love the wilko off brand hydroflask sksksk and I oop lol. For my posters I use A4 paper as I feel like it forces me to summarise more than an A3 sheet would. Also, what are tags?

prsom :lol: ... 5 quid well spent

I think I should try that :yep:. I use A3 paper and I write waaaay too much.

Tags are these:

@mildredofthetaco

[ user=4448204]mildredofthetaco

Just @ someone and a box will pop up for you to click their username.
Hello!
So, decided to take a mini break from here but I’m back :biggrin:
So, why have I been up to?? Been very busy revising, I’ve got my geography and English language exam tomorrow so been revising loadssss for geography. I’ve mainly been using Seneca as my revision resource as I find when we’re last minute told about mocks I don’t have enough time to go through all the content and write it down, so Seneca means i read it and then it quizzes me about it.

On Saturday I cried about English literature poetry for a solid hour I’d say. I just don’t know any of the quotes, I’m trying so hard but it’s just not going in and I don’t know what to do, I’m getting so panicky over it. I’m currently trying to learn quotes from a song I found on YouTube and it’s helping me more than crying about it I guess lol.

I also got my NEA2 task for home ec. I’m going with british cuisine. I’m going to make trifle, Chelsea buns and Cornish pasties. I had a practice run of trifle on Saturday and let’s just say it did NOT go well. I tried to make jelly as a complex skill and it just didn’t set so yeh. I guess that’s what practices are for though. I’m going to try a different recipe and my mums going shopping tomorrow so I’m just going to try and make jelly by itself rather than in a trifle until I get the hang of it. Chelsea buns and Cornish pasties will be fine as I’m confident with bread making and I’m really good at making pastry.

So yeh, that’s what ive been up to over the last week or so!
Hello!
So it’s been busy busy busy in my life. I’ve had loads of exams. My geography and English lit went well. I had maths and biology on Monday. Holy frick it was stressful. So I should probably clear up that I’m in set 4 maths and these mocks decide if I do foundation or higher tier, so it’s quite stressful. So basically I open my exam, it’s going great until about question four when I have NO IDEA what’s going on in the paper. I’d never even been taught half of it before. There were just so many things I’d never even seen! I actually cried in the exam which was super embarrassing because the invigilator came over and gave me a tissue and it was just horrifically embarrassing basically. I just got so overwhelmed and stressed that I didn’t know anything. I also have a crippling fear of failure so that didn’t help my situation anymore. It soothes me that about 7 other people were crying when they came out of the exam hall though, so I was alone. All people did was be nice to me and reassure me, so I guess we’re all in the same boat. My bio paper in the afternoon went miles better. I felt like I knew most of the answers, I only left one six marker because I literally had no idea what it was asking me. It was the exam from June 2019 and the one about beta blockers for anyone who took that last GCSEs. I think I might have picked up one or two marks on the 6 marker though. But other than that it was relatively easy.

I got over myself and stopped crying about English lit (in case you haven’t noticed, I’m a crier). I developed a new strategy of obsessively writing the same three quotes from each poem over and over again for hours on end. It’s dull but effective. I had the lit test today, it was pretty easy actually. The question was something about individual experiences and the names poem was remains and I compared it with bayonet charge.

I have my maths 2 and chemistry exam tomorrow. Gonna be honest, I’m screwed for chemistry. I know some stuff but I don’t think it’ll be enough to get me a high grade. Kinda relying on bio to drag my grade up a bit. Maths 2 I’m feeling more confident going into. I did a practice paper tonight and I was 5 marks off a six! Looking at the mark scheme I probably could have picked up 1 or 2 extra marks, but the last question was horrific! It was something about satisfying numbers lol. I’m feeling miles better going into this maths exam than the other one as I always do better in the calculator paper than in the non calc!

On Thursday I’ve got physics and history (rubbish day! Absolutely scandalous that they thought that day was okay for my mental health!:lol:) I’ve been revising quite slowly for history, just gradually making my way through the content. I’ve completed Germany and I’ve kinda left Norman’s till the last minute but I’ll be fine, I’m pretty confident with the normans anyway! Germany’s just difficult because the way you answer the questions is completely different to any of the other modules.

I have Friday and Monday off because of inset days so they’re gonna be quite jam packed. I only have two exams next week though- maths on Tuesday and food and nutrition on Thursday. On Friday me and my mum are gonna our the Christmas tree up ready for my niece coming round on Saturday and on Sunday I’m doing a charity run and on Monday I’m going into Liverpool to do some Christmas shopping! Somehow I’ve gotta for revision into that lmao.

Anyway, that’s all I have to say for now <3 <3
It’s okay to be a crier, I am too! I’m sorry you struggled so much on your maths paper, though! :console: How did you exams go today?
It’s okay to be a crier, I am too! I’m sorry you struggled so much on your maths paper, though! :console: How did you exams go today?

My exams went much better today! Feeling quite happy with my 2nd maths paper :smile:
Hello! So I’ve had a bit of time off because I just felt like I needed some, I’ve been watching some Christmas movies and getting all my gifts wrapped and just wanted some time off :smile:

I’ve got three of my results back:
Geography- 8
Home Ec- 7
Maths- 5

I’m super happy with my maths result, I’m taking higher for gcse! Honestly I’m really happy with myself because I really struggle with maths and I feel like I’ve finally done something right with it.

Geography I’m obviously ecstatic with my geography result- if I get that at gcse I’ll be over the moon!

In home Ec I’ve been doing my technicals. I’ve done 3/4 so far. I’ve made garlic bread, sausage rolls and jelly. All Of them have gone really smoothly and I’m looking forward to my actual exam in February.

School has been pretty quiet recently, I’ve just been getting on with all my new content and that’s all really lol
Hello!
You’ll be pleased to know I have more results back!
English lang-8
English lit-7
Science-6-5
History-6
I’m over the moon with my english lit result, if you remember there were quite a few tears over that exam haha. Amazingly happy with a 7! History I’m a little disappointed with though, but apparently it was one of the highest grades in my class and loads of other people got 4s so I guess there’s that. I just feel like the number grading system makes anything less than a seven seem bad, when its really not. Like, thats a B when you think about it, the grading system just made it seem so low I guess. Language I’m really pleased with, my first 8 in an english exam. Not gonna lie I thought I’d bombed out on that exam lol. So in science I got a 6-5, which is really good compared to my normal science grade! I’ve only got my physics and chemistry papers back so far and I’m getting bio after Christmas. I got a 4 in chemistry (I was kind of expecting that) but you’ll never believe what I got in physics! I got a 6!!!!! Little miss I didn't revise for physics and had no expectations for myself in that exam got a 6!

Today was my last day in school and it was a really fun day! Every lesson was a Christmas quiz. Except maths, that was a maths quiz but with holly in the corners of the PowerPoint lol, I ended up coming second in home ec and first in the one I did in RS so there’s that lmao. I only had a half day today as well so that was a really nice way to finish the decade.

That’s all for today, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Spoiler

Hello! (Ignore that stuff up there. It was a mistake and idk how to get rid of it lol)

I hope you all had a really good Christmas! I did, I got a kanken I.m so happy!

Anyway, school...
So i started a studygram on instagram, its called millystudiessometimes if you wanna give it a follow :wink: Im basically posting pictures of my notes on therfe, it's much more filtered out than what i post on here and focusses more on content rather than actually learning said content. I find it's actually motivating me to revise though because it mean i can post on there.

GCSE revision is going fine I guess, I'm not on a super set schedule at the minute I'm more just doing things as and when I feel like it. This will all have to change though! in the new year I'm going to give myself lists and lists of things to do. I like making lists on paper because then I get the pure satisfaction of ticking things off when they're done and that gives me so much joy. Number one thing on that list will be to clean my damn room. It's so messy and unorganised, my desk is covered in pens, makeup, computery stuff etc. It's had to focus! I jjust keep moving things from my desk to my bed and then back to my desk again when I need to do things, It's really not good. I need to go to IKEA and get some on desk storage for places to put things.

Also, I've changed my in-between revision snack! It's no longer special k
It is now:

Spoiler

Okay so that's all I really know what to write today.

happy New Year!
Happy New Year! I just looked up kankens, and omg, I now really, really want one! :laugh:
Happy New Year! I just looked up kankens, and omg, I now really, really want one! :laugh:

They’re super cute!
Hey!
I had my first day back at school yesterday. It was a relatively chill day, teachers are laying back on homework at the minute... I think that’s because they’re expecting us to revise but I don’t really know though.

I have been getting on that revision GRIND recently! I’ve been revising loads over the last few days and I can really see the benefit. I try to make my notes as short as possible and I think it’s paying off because I’m remembering more than normal.

Before I properly started revision I actually had my birthday though! I turned 16 and I went out for a meal with my family and it was super fun :smile:.

The adapt app has really been helping my revision as it focuses it more and makes everything more specific. So I’m not just revising history, I’m revising the effects of war on medicine etc. I believe it is officially launching this weekend if you’re interested! I would highly recommend.

The science department at my school is making us do this thing called tassomai... I hate it. You basically just have to answer a bunch of questions EVERY SINGLE DAY. Because it’s everyday I find it gets burning and repetitive so I just click in the same spot until I randomly get enough answers right to have hit my daily goal (which is 40 btw, how big is that??) and it’s just really not helping ,e but if I don’t do it I get a detention. It’s also really annoying because we’re still getting science hw on top of it, so there’s really a lot to do.

Sorry for the rant, but that’s all for today!
Hey!

Schools been fine aside from the fact that I’ve been getting tons of homework! I do think that it’s unreasonable to set homework whilst also expecting us to revise. Because all my evenings are taken up with the excessive amounts of homework ive been getting :frown:. I started working out and eating a lil healthier lately, I really think that it’s had a positive impact on me and overall I’m feeling more energised. Through this I have rediscovered my love for kiwis!

This week I went to a sixth firm open day, I really liked the school so now I’m torn between two. I still think I wanna go to the first one I visited despite the long commute bc it’s one of the best sixth forms in the uk and i prefer the campus, but the other school I went to was really nice as well!

I had my parents evening on Thursday. I had positive feedback on everything really, nothing for the teachers to complain about lol. Although, it did hit me that in a few months time it will probably be the last time I ever see my teachers. It’s lowkey making me wanna cry just thinking about it. i feel like the bond between students and teachers is severely overlooked. I don’t know what I would do without my teachers, they’ve helped me every step of the way and have made sure that I understand everything and are always open to helping me. Teachers are amazing and deserve a pay rise!! They’re literally carving out the future leaders of our country and, frankly, I think that’s just amazing.

But not to dwell, I’ll have to leave them at some point. Still sad though.

Yesterday I did a full 3 hour practice of my home Ec practical. The real one is on the 27th of February! Wish me luck! I managed to complete everything in 2 hours and 45 minutes so I have time to spare as well (:. The only thing that went wrong was the fact that I curdled my custard, but I know how to fix that haha, I just wasn’t stirring it enough! I’m actually quite excited about me exam lol.

Today I’ve been doing some revision. I did:
-stem cells for bio
-Jenner and vaccination for history
-water based cooking methods for home ec

I found out I’ve got mocks coming up in March, so I’ve gotta get my ish together and revise more! I’m just gonna leave a picture of some of my revision on here lol.

That’s all I have to say, byeeeee
Hello!
So. I’ve been to a maths revision session today-we did Pythagoras and transformations. I really struggle with 3D pythagoras but I’m not even being taught it because I’m in too low a set lol. I tried not to let it get me down though because I’ve been doing really well in what we’ve been doing recently in maths (algebraic fractions).

In English we’ve been doing work on language 2 question 5 and the types of things we could be asked. I feel fairly confident in that too. I had double history today which I always hate! It just feels like too much all at once. We’ve moved in from the Korean War and into the Vietnam war, it’s actually quite interesting.

I’ve been trying out more revision techniques- I definitely know that I wayyyy prefer flashcards over everything else. They’re just so easy to create and I can use them more than once to revise from.

In geography weve moved in to urbanisation & stuff. It’s alright, but no where near as fun as volcanoes and stuff!

Its weird to think that I’m most of my subjects I’m now on the last module. It’s really making it feel more real and like my exams aren’t some place in the distant future. Kinda stressing me out. Oh well!

Happy Monday xxx
ABF7544C-3834-4042-89AC-E716DCD0F5BC.jpegAB60A163-812D-48FD-A9E5-B8EB20A6F4CD.jpegFA239781-3764-4688-9A79-BBF4A5511771.jpegHello!
So, I’m a little annoyed. This is the second time I’ve written this post because the last one I tried to insert a picture and when I clicked use this photo the website decided to time me out so I’m super happy about that!

So, I went to maths revision tonight. We did areas of sectors and triangles. It was with a teacher I really don’t like though, she’s really shouty and clearly just doesn’t like children, so that just didn’t help with the revision session.

In English we’ve been doing paper two! I’m not really sure how to revise for the English language papers because there’s not really a lot of content so i don’t know what to do. If you have any tips please let me know!

My history teacher made us all hand in our revision, so I now have no revision resources for history for the next week so that’s super fun and fresh. Just straight up not really having a good time right now. We have started the Vietnam war though, that’s pretty interesting. The only downside is (and I know I sound so ignorant and white by saying this) I’m finding the names and spellings difficult to remember because they’re obviously all Asian! Other than that it’s good though.

I’ve bought some science flashcards. I thought I’d save myself the time of writing them all myself and just buy pre written ones. They’re by cgp and cover the entirety of the combined science course and all I have to do is go through the questions. They’re by cgp, they look pretty good (I’ll insert a picture :smile:)

I now know that I wat prefer making flashcards than making a load of revision notes. They take less time and are easier to reuse as you can just keep testing yourself over and over again, instead of just rewriting the same stuff, so I find them way more engaging.

I’ve changed my revision snack again (I’m decisive, okay?) it’s now the Jacobs crackers. My gosh they’re amazing! Just put some butter on them and they’re amazing to eat in between revision!

Anyway, that’s all!
Happy Monday xx
Hello!
So I figured I’d post today so I could lay out my day for me to refer back to!

So today I’m going to make a RAG sheet for all the topics for my science exams so I can target my revision and study productively because I tend to just revise what I’m good at which isn’t very good for helping me learn. It just makes me feel more confident because I’m like ‘wow, I know all this, I’m definitely gonna pass!’ But then I realise that I already knew that stuff anyway so it was a bit of a waste of time.

I’m also gonna do some geography revision and some history revision and do my maths homework.

So this is kinda a short post, but just figured I’d share (:
Hello! I hope you had another happy Monday! I’ve been really tired all day and I’ve caught some type of illness (let’s hope it’s not coronavirus lol) so school was a lot today.

I’ve got mocks coming up in March and if I’m perfectly honest, I just haven’t the motivation to revise. It seems the closer my actual gcses creep up on me, the less motivated I am. I tell myself I’m going to revise and then I just...don’t. Someone please tell me how to get into a better mindset!!

I did find motivation to revise tonight though.

First I went through some biology flashcards. Then I made some flashcards on anaesthetics and antiseptics during surgery with Joseph lister and james Simpson and stuff. After that I made character profiles on Shylock and Portia for the merchant of Venice. Finally, I made some flashcards on the liberal social reforms. That’s what I did tonight. It’s the most revision I’ve done in a while- I did about 4 hours which is soooo much for me, considering I usually do nothing!

I haven’t really done much else really, just been making my way through school, a lot of my courses are nearly finished which is scary but I’ll deal.

Have a nice evening, byeee xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending