Shan_lewinton
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Does anyone know why statistics on religious beliefs may be inaccurate?
21ForEva
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Shan_lewinton)
Does anyone know why statistics on religious beliefs may be inaccurate?
We went by an acronym: PERVERT (you may have heard of it)
P - practical
E - Ethical
R - Representation
V - Validity
E - Example
R - Reliability
T - Theories

So statistics on religious beliefs may be inaccurate as people could be lying in their surveys (validity), it might be outdated, the info may have been collected during a time where people were scared into being religious or having religious beliefs or during a time where there were economical issues so people turned away from religion, the researches may probe people who answer the survey questions, influencing the interviewee's answers, the researcher may add to the results and make it biased just to fulfil their own hypothesis and 'make it true'.

Hope this helped - this is just what I can remember from 5 years ago of doing Religion in Sociology haha so hope I did it justice.
Shan_lewinton
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by 21ForEva)
We went by an acronym: PERVERT (you may have heard of it)
P - practical
E - Ethical
R - Representation
V - Validity
E - Example
R - Reliability
T - Theories

So statistics on religious beliefs may be inaccurate as people could be lying in their surveys (validity), it might be outdated, the info may have been collected during a time where people were scared into being religious or having religious beliefs or during a time where there were economical issues so people turned away from religion, the researches may probe people who answer the survey questions, influencing the interviewee's answers, the researcher may add to the results and make it biased just to fulfil their own hypothesis and 'make it true'.

Hope this helped - this is just what I can remember from 5 years ago of doing Religion in Sociology haha so hope I did it justice.
Thank you so much, this was extremely helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (144)
60.25%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.6%
No- I want it (67)
28.03%
No- I don't want it (17)
7.11%

Watched Threads