The Student Room Group

What are the most annoying platitudes?

A platitude is: a remark or statement, especially one with a moral content, that has been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful.

Which ones do you find the most annoying :tongue:
I'll start:
"everything happens for a reason" - I agree that most things have causes but I disagree that all bad things are part of some divine plan and it always just "works itself out" sometimes bad things happen.

"enjoy your GCSE's as a-levels are much harder"(not sure if this count) - what a patronising person you are! I'm meant to enjoy suffering as it eventually gets worse. No, GCSE's are not pure suffering and I do think I'll look back at this time and find much enjoyment in it but exams are definitely not a pleasant experience for most people, and that kind of rhetoric is so unhelpful!

Scroll to see replies

"Forgive and forget", "blood is thicker than water" and "love means never having to say sorry".
Also "this will hurt me more than it hurts you", "no good deed goes unpunished", "life doesn’t give you things you can’t handle" and "you are what you eat".
Original post by londonmyst
"Forgive and forget", "blood is thicker than water" and "love means never having to say sorry".
Also "this will hurt me more than it hurts you", "no good deed goes unpunished", "life doesn’t give you things you can’t handle" and "you are what you eat".

agree!
I've never heard that one!
Original post by Obolinda
agree!
I've never heard that one!

It's from stalker ex. :eek:
Him with the penthouse apartment and stds caught from sex workers.

omg
Reply 5
A platitude is: a remark or statement, especially one with a moral content, that has been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful.

Which ones do you find the most annoying :tongue:
I'll start:
"everything happens for a reason" - I agree that most things have causes but I disagree that all bad things are part of some divine plan and it always just "works itself out" sometimes bad things happen.

"enjoy your GCSE's as a-levels are much harder"(not sure if this count) - what a patronising person you are! I'm meant to enjoy suffering as it eventually gets worse. No, GCSE's are not pure suffering and I do think I'll look back at this time and find much enjoyment in it but exams are definitely not a pleasant experience for most people, and that kind of rhetoric is so unhelpful!

Tbh I find every platitude annoying, but some of the most annoying one I keep hearing are:

"Get a degree and you'll get a good job" - mostly by the older generation who genuinely believe a good job will be handed to you in a silver platter once you get a degree, and fail to understand how hard it is these days.

"Good things happen to those who wait" - **** NO! You'll be missing a lot more opportunities by waiting and wasting time in majority of circumstances.

"God has a plan for you and your interests at heart" - Ehh he's too busy playing favourites and giving you unnecessary hassle.

"Everyone is equal" - No matter how much we strive for equality this will never be the case.

“Money can’t buy happiness.” - You can buy anyone a car, a house or give them a hefty amount of cash and I can assure you they'll be the happiest person

"There's plenty of fish in the sea" - Yeah... no comment.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6

Oh dear, I hope you smacked him black and blue.
Reply 7
just think about how much worse other people have it :rolleyes:

"everything happens for a reason"

PRSOM!
Original post by kkboyk
Tbh I find every platitude annoying, but some of the most annoying one I keep hearing are:

"Get a degree and you'll get a good job" - mostly by the older generation who genuinely believe a good job will be handed to you in a silver platter once you get a degree, and fail to understand how hard it is these days.

"Good things happen to those who wait" - **** NO! You'll be missing a lot more opportunities by waiting and wasting time in majority of circumstances.

"God has a plan for you and your interests at heart" - Ehh he's too busy playing favourites and giving you unnecessary hassle.

"Everyone is equal" - No matter how much we strive for equality this will never be the case.

“Money can’t buy happiness.” - You can buy anyone a car, a house or give them a hefty amount of cash and I can assure you they'll be the happiest person

"There's plenty of fish in the sea" - Yeah... no comment.

interesting :tongue:
I know a lot of people like this one, but it's just kind of meaningless drivel to me and is often the opposite in reality - "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
“It is what it is” “Go with the flow” “Such is life” aghhhhh! 😂
"I'm sure you did better than you think"

"Life is the longest thing you'll ever do"

"Everything happens for a reason"
(edited 4 years ago)
"Que sera, sera"

I mean, it's just so meaningless
Original post by aciana
I know a lot of people like this one, but it's just kind of meaningless drivel to me and is often the opposite in reality - "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

yeah, I agree, ngl :tongue:

Original post by Anonymous-being
“It is what it is” “Go with the flow” “Such is life” aghhhhh! 😂

:lol:

Original post by Palmyra
"I'm sure you did better than you think"

"Life is the longest thing you'll ever do"

"Everything happens for a reason"

!!1!!
Original post by Reality Check
"Que sera, sera"

I mean, it's just so meaningless

we used to sing the song by Doris Day at primary school :lol:

I like "no good deed goes unpunished" - I wouldn't really say it as it's too hackneyed, but I appreciate the sentiment - you help someone and it comes back in your face.
Good things come to those who wait.
Original post by aciana
I like "no good deed goes unpunished" - I wouldn't really say it as it's too hackneyed, but I appreciate the sentiment - you help someone and it comes back in your face.

Oh God that is a depressing one.

Helping people doesn't ever come back in your face unless you help with the expectation of something in return.
Original post by HumblyBumbly
Helping people doesn't ever come back in your face unless you help with the expectation of something in return.

:curious:
Original post by HumblyBumbly
Oh God that is a depressing one.

Unless the recipient of the help is the sort of person that is a devious habitual troublemaker and really enjoys biting helping hands.
I've met a few.

Quick Reply

Latest