meeehhhhhh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have applied to both Sheffield and Leeds for Philosophy, for Religion and Ethics BA. And undecided on which one I like more...

When I went round the open days I liked both universities greatly. Originally I preferred Leeds because I enjoyed the whole big city life (which is very important to me as I time in London and I'm trying to find a similar pace of life for uni) and really thought the lectures where interesting.

But, I also think Sheffield has a good course and ranks higher than Leeds in it. And they seem really organised with a lot of added stuff you can do at the Uni, which has made me think differently about my first choice. However when walking around the city I was just concerned it might be too small for me, as it didn't seem very busy on open days. And I was concerned as well that when bands go touring they normally travel to Leeds over Sheffield (weird criteria i know, but I love rock and indie bands so not being able to go to lots of gigs would be a major concern).

Was just wondering if anyone is doing this course or know anyone who is, just to help with how the courses are run? And what student life is like at Sheffield or Leeds.

Thank you very much!!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by meeehhhhhh)
I have applied to both Sheffield and Leeds for Philosophy, for Religion and Ethics BA. And undecided on which one I like more...

When I went round the open days I liked both universities greatly. Originally I preferred Leeds because I enjoyed the whole big city life (which is very important to me as I time in London and I'm trying to find a similar pace of life for uni) and really thought the lectures where interesting.

But, I also think Sheffield has a good course and ranks higher than Leeds in it. And they seem really organised with a lot of added stuff you can do at the Uni, which has made me think differently about my first choice. However when walking around the city I was just concerned it might be too small for me, as it didn't seem very busy on open days. And I was concerned as well that when bands go touring they normally travel to Leeds over Sheffield (weird criteria i know, but I love rock and indie bands so not being able to go to lots of gigs would be a major concern).

Was just wondering if anyone is doing this course or know anyone who is, just to help with how the courses are run? And what student life is like at Sheffield or Leeds.

Thank you very much!!!
Leeds is bigger than Sheffield, has more money and will be more expensive.
Sheffield can be quite deceiving but people find plenty to do as it is spread out, don't just think about city centre.. They also have one of the best SU's in the country. For big acts then I think most of them go to Sheffield Arena and in any event whichever you pick then they are only 1h to 40mns apart.

I would try via student societies to see if you can find anyone ding the course that interests you.

If you wnat bigger city then maybe Manchester or Birmingham would be bigger for you?
holsporter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm in the same position, I've received offers from both for Politics and love going to gigs as well!Obviously I don't know what Bands you're into but as someone that also often goes to indie/rock gigs I always see lots of bands go to the Leadmill in Sheffield when they're touring or the Arena there.It's true that Leeds is a bit bigger than Sheffield as a city but overall I think you should go with your gut as to which one you go to. Weigh up the pros and cons of each and just remember that no matter which one you go to, the other city is only an hour away by train (if you wanted to go to gigs etc.)
Hope this helped!
meeehhhhhh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by holsporter)
I'm in the same position, I've received offers from both for Politics and love going to gigs as well!Obviously I don't know what Bands you're into but as someone that also often goes to indie/rock gigs I always see lots of bands go to the Leadmill in Sheffield when they're touring or the Arena there.It's true that Leeds is a bit bigger than Sheffield as a city but overall I think you should go with your gut as to which one you go to. Weigh up the pros and cons of each and just remember that no matter which one you go to, the other city is only an hour away by train (if you wanted to go to gigs etc.)
Hope this helped!
Thank you very much, and congratulation on your offers!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads