The Student Room Group

Very specific query- Independent Status

Hello,

I am due to start on a Graduate Entry Medicine course in 2020.

I have been working and supporting myself since October 2017, though prior to that (ie August 2017) I wasn't living at home, but supporting myself using savings.

I would like to ensure that I am classified as independent when I apply for student finance as there is a significant different between my parents incomes and mine, as i won't be eligible for university bursaries, should their income be considered.

I know I have to fund the first ~£4000 of tuition fees myself which is fine as I have saved this.
My questions are

- If I apply by the normal early summer deadline would I be classed as independent

- If not, if I apply in October time, I understand that I wouldn't have any tuition fee/maintenance loan by the start of term but would this be fine and what are approximate timescales for then receiving the loans

- Could my independence be considered August 2017- August 2020 as independent due to living off savings (not previous student loan) though i wouldn't have a paycheck to evidence this

- If I take some time off work prior to starting my degree, ie don't work October 2017- October 2020, and live off savings, could I still be classed as independent? (I can prove that I have saved my own savings)

Thank you!
Original post by Nisd23
Hello,

I am due to start on a Graduate Entry Medicine course in 2020.

I have been working and supporting myself since October 2017, though prior to that (ie August 2017) I wasn't living at home, but supporting myself using savings.

I would like to ensure that I am classified as independent when I apply for student finance as there is a significant different between my parents incomes and mine, as i won't be eligible for university bursaries, should their income be considered.

I know I have to fund the first ~£4000 of tuition fees myself which is fine as I have saved this.
My questions are

- If I apply by the normal early summer deadline would I be classed as independent

- If not, if I apply in October time, I understand that I wouldn't have any tuition fee/maintenance loan by the start of term but would this be fine and what are approximate timescales for then receiving the loans

- Could my independence be considered August 2017- August 2020 as independent due to living off savings (not previous student loan) though i wouldn't have a paycheck to evidence this

- If I take some time off work prior to starting my degree, ie don't work October 2017- October 2020, and live off savings, could I still be classed as independent? (I can prove that I have saved my own savings)

Thank you!

Hi, you can apply to be classed as n independent student and in order to be classed as an independent student we would need to see the savings you used were earned through previous income, such as bank statement. Also is you have already been classed as an independent student based on self-support you don’t have to continue employment during your studies. Thanks, Aaron.
Reply 2
Thank you.

Does the income have to be my earned income?

So say I stopped working in August (having worked 34 months) but could prove I have savings to live off
For 2 months, would that work?

Thanks,
Original post by Nisd23
Thank you.

Does the income have to be my earned income?

So say I stopped working in August (having worked 34 months) but could prove I have savings to live off
For 2 months, would that work?

Thanks,

Hi, as long as we can see those savings came from earned income from employment then that is fine. Thanks, Aaron.
Reply 4
Hi Aaron. One more question. If I can show I have enough earned savings that I would be able to sustain myself for 2months (so leave work in August at 34months independence, use savings to bring me up to 36months) would that be OK?
Original post by Nisd23
Hi Aaron. One more question. If I can show I have enough earned savings that I would be able to sustain myself for 2months (so leave work in August at 34months independence, use savings to bring me up to 36months) would that be OK?

Hi there,

Yes, this can be considered as long as the savings are from previous income and this can be seen through your bank statements.

Thanks,
Nihad
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi there,

Yes, this can be considered as long as the savings are from previous income and this can be seen through your bank statements.

Thanks,
Nihad

Thanks so much!
Original post by Nisd23
Thanks so much!

You're very welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending