The Student Room Group

Dropping Out of College Advice

so I'm 17 (18 on January) in my second year of studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computer Science.

Last year we did basic coding but for the exams there was no coding involved. only basic coding for the assignments. this year is so much harder and coding isn't something I want to do in the future. I want to do cyber security but more project management and client based. even last year I've had a lot of help from friends and this year as well. but for the last few weeks it's been harder as I don't want to ask for help ( them telling me what to write) as there is no point then if of me doing it.

I am also shift manager and work about 35 hours a week at Domino's which is something i enjoy but not career wise. I want to carry on working here to make money and want to do a part time business course as I want to move to Pakistan and start a business.

I currently have a Merit qualification from last year. What can I do now that's business related and would I have to pay as I'll be 18 in January.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by u.muj
so I'm 17 (18 on January) in my second year of studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computer Science.

Last year we did basic coding but for the exams there was no coding involved. only basic coding for the assignments. this year is so much harder and coding isn't something I want to do in the future. I want to do cyber security but more project management and client based. even last year I've had a lot of help from friends and this year as well. but for the last few weeks it's been harder as I don't want to ask for help ( them telling me what to write) as there is no point then if of me doing it.

I am also shift manager and work about 35 hours a week at Domino's which is something i enjoy but not career wise. I want to carry on working here to make money and want to do a part time business course as I want to move to Pakistan and start a business.

I currently have a Merit qualification from last year. What can I do now that's business related and would I have to pay as I'll be 18 in January.

Listen, I know things can get tough from 17 to 18. I've suffered a lot in that time frame myself, and I was afraid to ask for support.
In my case, I had the desire to get past school, get to uni and start to improve my life from there. So I made it past college with average grades (BCC A levels, C AS level) and currently I'm averaging 92% in my final year at university. In hindsight, I'm so glad I pushed myself for a year or two in school, as now I'm much better, doing something I like, and I have my immediate future sorted out.

Thus, from experience, I really want to encourage you to think about whether dropping out is something you'll regret or not a few years down the line. Looking at the job market now (I'm in engineering), the majority of technology related jobs demand coding knowledge, and / or a computer science degree. What you're currently studying is a valuable qualification to have. I strongly advise you to prioritise your career and future over making immediate money at Domino's.

If project management is what you're into, look into university courses in that area. From your experience as a shift manager you'll be at a slight advantage in comparison to your peers should you go down this path. However, a degree in computer science, should you be good at your job, will more than likely be sufficient for you to lead projects in cyber security.

Starting a business requires a lot of business experience, understanding, knowledge and money. Don't be rash in your decision to start one up, it is not a coincidence that the majority of new businesses dissolve within 2 years. If you are really passionate in being an entrepreneur, I recommend you to gain a degree in business or economics at university level, get an MBA, etc.

So it seems you have 2 paths - computer science or business, both of which are good. You have time to decide which path you want to take, but your life will be so much harder if you don't complete your college. Push on buddy!

Sanghyuk
Reply 2
Original post by Tredoltle
Listen, I know things can get tough from 17 to 18. I've suffered a lot in that time frame myself, and I was afraid to ask for support.
In my case, I had the desire to get past school, get to uni and start to improve my life from there. So I made it past college with average grades (BCC A levels, C AS level) and currently I'm averaging 92% in my final year at university. In hindsight, I'm so glad I pushed myself for a year or two in school, as now I'm much better, doing something I like, and I have my immediate future sorted out.

Thus, from experience, I really want to encourage you to think about whether dropping out is something you'll regret or not a few years down the line. Looking at the job market now (I'm in engineering), the majority of technology related jobs demand coding knowledge, and / or a computer science degree. What you're currently studying is a valuable qualification to have. I strongly advise you to prioritise your career and future over making immediate money at Domino's.

If project management is what you're into, look into university courses in that area. From your experience as a shift manager you'll be at a slight advantage in comparison to your peers should you go down this path. However, a degree in computer science, should you be good at your job, will more than likely be sufficient for you to lead projects in cyber security.

Starting a business requires a lot of business experience, understanding, knowledge and money. Don't be rash in your decision to start one up, it is not a coincidence that the majority of new businesses dissolve within 2 years. If you are really passionate in being an entrepreneur, I recommend you to gain a degree in business or economics at university level, get an MBA, etc.

So it seems you have 2 paths - computer science or business, both of which are good. You have time to decide which path you want to take, but your life will be so much harder if you don't complete your college. Push on buddy!

Sanghyuk

Thanks for the reply. I have quit and will be doing a distance learning course online. Pakistan is much different to here and starting a business is also easier compared to here. It's all about having the money to do it there. I will probably do a business and computing course while working at full time at Domino's to get the money to do what I want to do.

College isn't really everything to be honest. Theres loads of options nowadays. I'll still be getting a lot of experience in dominos in finance and accounting and management which I can add to my CV plus the course I will be doing.

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest