The Student Room Group

No friends at uni

Is anyone else in their 1st year struggling to make friends at uni? I think I messed up by not joining any clubs etc and I also live off campus maybe that’s why. I’m an introvert and every time I try to make conversation I **** it up usually. I attend most lectures and seminars but idk do u think there’s any hope for me to meet people and become friends, it’s kinda lonely

Scroll to see replies

hello there
are you male or female , what part of the country u in
Reply 2
Original post by jetblackmazda
hello there
are you male or female , what part of the country u in

lol idk why that matters but in London
Original post by Anonymous
lol idk why that matters but in London

Im in my first year in London! do you mind me asking which uni you’re at?
Reply 4
Im in my first year in London! do you mind me asking which uni you’re at?

Sure I’m at Brunel. How about yourself
Sure I’m at Brunel. How about yourself

Queen Mary!
Reply 6
Original post by TheUltracheese
Queen Mary!

Nice. How are you finding it
I’m at lse!
Also, it isn’t ever really too late to join clubs and especially because everyone is always busy people don’t end up turning up to every single event. At your lectures/ seminars start convos with the people sitting next to you before it starts or after it finishes and find what stuff they’ve joined. And if it seems suitable and like you’ve kind of clicked, exchange contact details and if the club they mentioned interests you, at least you’ll know one person there. :smile:
Hey!
I'm studying at a Uni in London too, I know exactly how you feel. Do you struggle with Social Anxiety by any chance?
Reply 9
Original post by TheRealAshy
Hey!
I'm studying at a Uni in London too, I know exactly how you feel. Do you struggle with Social Anxiety by any chance?

Yes! I think that’s one huge issue and a lack of confidence makes things worse lmao. How are you getting on?
I think the course is interesting, and I enjoy that a lot so that part is good. The social aspect..could be a bit better haha. I'm lucky though that I have two good flatmates who I talk to daily, but it's never really like how I'd speak to my best friends back home. But yeah, social anxiety does pull me down sometimes a lot. There have been days where I've barely left my room. Sometimes you have to really force yourself, because sticking in your room can make it worse. Do you find that the people in London are different from back home?
I study in London as a first year too living off campus too! It is lonely sometimes but I have managed to make some friends fortunately. It might not be too late to join some clubs, going to extra curriculum activities or just making convo with those around you could help too. Also meeting people outside of uni at social events, bars, concerts, clubs could work too. I’m really shy when in social situations where you don’t know anyone so I know how it feels :frown:( If you’re down you could meet up with someone on here or other social media for a drink.
I spent 4 years at uni and I made no friends
Original post by TheRealAshy
I think the course is interesting, and I enjoy that a lot so that part is good. The social aspect..could be a bit better haha. I'm lucky though that I have two good flatmates who I talk to daily, but it's never really like how I'd speak to my best friends back home. But yeah, social anxiety does pull me down sometimes a lot. There have been days where I've barely left my room. Sometimes you have to really force yourself, because sticking in your room can make it worse. Do you find that the people in London are different from back home?

damn. Well I’m from London so I can’t really say if they’re different etc
Original post by study beats

well congrats for making it through uni

Really? I don't want to end up in this situation. I'm currently in second year and have 3 acquaintances who are strangers to me. But nothing to the extent of a friendship
Really? I don't want to end up in this situation. I'm currently in second year and have 3 acquaintances who are strangers to me. But nothing to the extent of a friendship

Your going to end up in this situation sorry to say that
Your going to end up in this situation sorry to say that

What a bundle of joy you are!
I've made many acquaintances in my course, societies, language classes and college but no actual "friends". Those who I thought were my friends stopped texting me back so I'm back to having no friends again sighs
I've made many acquaintances in my course, societies, language classes and college but no actual "friends". Those who I thought were my friends stopped texting me back so I'm back to having no friends again sighs

feels bad. but hey, at least you know youre not the only one

Quick Reply

Latest