The Student Room Group

Is it too late to repeat year 12?

I'm in year 13 right now and really struggling with A levels. For my year 12 mocks I got UUE (maths, chemistry,biology) and I haven't made major improvements yet. I've only improved a bit (getting D,D,B in end of topic tests but still getting U/E in "mini" mock tests where y12 knowledge is needed. I see myself going in a downward spiral. I try to keep up and 'relearn' Y12 stuff as well as revising the stuff we are doing now bit the pressure is too much for me.

I have been getting ill frequently (although I don't miss days for it) but i suspect it's psychosomatic as it goes away during longish breaks from school. It's gotten to the point where I stopped eating regularly and I have insomnia so sometime I get I struggle to stay awake in school. I've tried to keep up and I regret being so lazy in year 12. Sure I I have medical reasons causing me to miss some days last year but most of it was my own laziness.

My teachers, apart from chemistry, seem to think I'll magically turn it around and keep encouraging me to continue and "hit my A targets" but I know that's unrealistic. I tend to freeze under pressure rather than work with it.

I've heard of students redoing english and maths GCSE and then going on to do btech for their second and third year but I've never heard of anyone redoing y12 at my school.

Is it too late too talk to my head of year and ask if I can repeat?
Original post by mmmmmmh
I'm in year 13 right now and really struggling with A levels. For my year 12 mocks I got UUE (maths, chemistry,biology) and I haven't made major improvements yet. I've only improved a bit (getting D,D,B in end of topic tests but still getting U/E in "mini" mock tests where y12 knowledge is needed. I see myself going in a downward spiral. I try to keep up and 'relearn' Y12 stuff as well as revising the stuff we are doing now bit the pressure is too much for me.

I have been getting ill frequently (although I don't miss days for it) but i suspect it's psychosomatic as it goes away during longish breaks from school. It's gotten to the point where I stopped eating regularly and I have insomnia so sometime I get I struggle to stay awake in school. I've tried to keep up and I regret being so lazy in year 12. Sure I I have medical reasons causing me to miss some days last year but most of it was my own laziness.

My teachers, apart from chemistry, seem to think I'll magically turn it around and keep encouraging me to continue and "hit my A targets" but I know that's unrealistic. I tend to freeze under pressure rather than work with it.

I've heard of students redoing english and maths GCSE and then going on to do btech for their second and third year but I've never heard of anyone redoing y12 at my school.

Bump
There's still time. My friend got about BCDU at end of year 12, now on track for AAA. May be worth speaking to your teachers about how you can work on it. If you really think you cant, it's an option to restart. No shame in retaking and being behind a year.
Original post by Meowgi256
There's still time. My friend got about BCDU at end of year 12, now on track for AAA. May be worth speaking to your teachers about how you can work on it. If you really think you cant, it's an option to restart. No shame in retaking and being behind a year.

Thanks! I was thinking that since it's already December I wouldn't be allowed to. Hmmm can schools prevent you from redoing year 12?
Original post by mmmmmmh
Thanks! I was thinking that since it's already December I wouldn't be allowed to. Hmmm can schools prevent you from redoing year 12?

I dont think so, but I wouldn't leave it any later. Best thing is to talk to your head of year
I dont think so, but I wouldn't leave it any later. Best thing is to talk to your head of year

Will do first thing Monday, thanks! Also, is it worth asking other colleges just in case my school doesn't allow?
Original post by mmmmmmh
Will do first thing Monday, thanks! Also, is it worth asking other colleges just in case my school doesn't allow?

If on Monday you dont get the answer you want then yes, if you're serious about this. You won't get a reply over the weekend anyway so best do it Monday if your college says no. Best of luck!!
It is an option. Perhaps getting a tutor for those subjects could really help. I hope you do better
Original post by Himynameisdaisy
It is an option. Perhaps getting a tutor for those subjects could really help. I hope you do better

I'm working at a U/E grade on my lower sixth content which is the foundation for my upper sixth content. I don't think getting a tutor at this point could help since I'm having trouble managing everything. Also I don't think I can afford one.
If on Monday you dont get the answer you want then yes, if you're serious about this. You won't get a reply over the weekend anyway so best do it Monday if your college says no. Best of luck!!

Thanks so much, although I'm anxious due to it being almost december...
Original post by mmmmmmh

If you want to do the same subjects I doubt there’d be any reason they wouldn’t let u restart as even tho it’s December you’ve gotten the content already so its not like your behind. I would actually suggest starting again if you’re really struggling (and ur mock performance shows u need a bit more help and there’s nothing wrong with that)
I actually started my A-Levels again as i had extenuating circumstances and i missed large periods of school and during AS exams i was honestly just lost as i didn’t know so much content and i did the same subjects as you. I simply started again (albeit with different subjects to suit me better) and it was the best decision I ever made, now I’m predicted A*A*A equivalent and have offers from Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds for Law so it all worked out🤷🏽*♂️ a lot of schools let ppl redo year 12, it’s quite common in my school actually
Original post by nathan_nacu
If you want to do the same subjects I doubt there’d be any reason they wouldn’t let u restart as even tho it’s December you’ve gotten the content already so its not like your behind. I would actually suggest starting again if you’re really struggling (and ur mock performance shows u need a bit more help and there’s nothing wrong with that)
I actually started my A-Levels again as i had extenuating circumstances and i missed large periods of school and during AS exams i was honestly just lost as i didn’t know so much content and i did the same subjects as you. I simply started again (albeit with different subjects to suit me better) and it was the best decision I ever made, now I’m predicted A*A*A equivalent and have offers from Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds for Law so it all worked out🤷🏽*♂️ a lot of schools let ppl redo year 12, it’s quite common in my school actually

Thank-you, this has made me feel better about asking on Monday. *fingers crossed they'll let me* 😊
Original post by mmmmmmh
Thank-you, this has made me feel better about asking on Monday. *fingers crossed they'll let me* 😊

I hope they do! I remember when this was me and i was thinking of all the drawbacks, u might think of being a year behind of ur friends or whatever but you’ll eventually see really it doesn’t matter, everyone moves at their own pace, so good luck!
My advice tbf, i dont know what course ur studying at Uni but if possible I would suggest picking up a ‘soft’ subject in place of one u are doing. The 3 subjects your doing are reaaallllyyyy time tasking, i would suggest trying Sociology or Politics etc. But if you’re not into the arts then ignore.
Original post by mmmmmmh

Hi - not sure what your name is,

Anyway, fk me have you got the wrong end of the stick.

Step one: work as hard as you can and do the best you can with the A-levels.

Step two: if you work hard no one thinks you're lazy (unless they are daft)

Step three: retake any exams you need to retake in order to do what you what to do.

Step three is important because that's the part where you start asking yourself what's important to you. What are you going to work for and what are you going to make sure happens in your life. Too late? Gosh - you don't even know where your going and how fun it'll be. You are worth so much and don't put yourself down. There is nothing wrong with you and you don't have to repeat if you don't want to or think it's not going to help you. Life is about more than grades, and if you don't believe me get out there and ask some of the people who are taking part.

LK
Original post by mmmmmmh

Your story seems a lot familiar, because I have gone through almost the same thing! I was a straight A student in gcse’s but in Alevels, due to my own laziness and distractions, ended up ruining my year 12 grades (AS level) I took physics, chemistry and Biology. Then I decided to give composites in may june 2019, but by january, I had zero preparation. So, I left school, became a private student, gave Alevel Biology composite in May june 2019, ended up with an A*!! Then gave physics Alevel composite in November 2019, didn’t get the result yet (wish me luck) but I am really hoping for atleast an A, could be an A* too. I will be giving Alevel chemistry in june 2020. So yess, anything is possible, just don’t think about others and make the best decision for yourself at the right time!! I ended up with A* without any teachers help, did it on my own, for both bio and physics, and now for chem too, just read the books then do past papers and you are good to go!! Ask a senior about your problems, don’t depend on teachers, depend on yourself, set your priorities straight and I am sure you will ace your exams, for now, My advice is to retake year 12 in june, and If you cannot, then just focus on one subject and give it in june. If your school isn’t letting you retake year 12 now, become a private candidate,Best of luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending