The Student Room Group

What kind of novels have hidden/deep meanings e.g: motifs, symbols?

I'm looking for anything at all which I can analyse thoroughly and link to some contextual info perhaps - e.g: use of locations in mice and men
Original post by hehe_x
I'm looking for anything at all which I can analyse thoroughly and link to some contextual info perhaps - e.g: use of locations in mice and men

There's a book called Demian with a lot of symbolism.
You’ll find motifs in most fiction novels (possibly excluding modern YA novels). I’d suggest something short like A Room With A View by Forster. There’s a lot in there.
To kill a mocking bird has lots
Jane Eyre has plenty to look at, or Wuthering Heights. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier uses settings effectively.

Original post by Kiss-My-axe
To kill a mocking bird has lots
L’Étranger by Albert Camus (The Stranger in English). There’s a LOT of philosophical topics integrated within the novel (absurdism is a big one), and you can do a lot of character analysis too. There is also a a major theme of nature and its role in how the story progresses and the relationship the protagonist has with it and how it influences him in his crime. You could also do something with it’s historical significance as well (Algeria under French colonial rule, 1940s).
Reply 6
'Animal Farm' by George Orwell would be a good choice. 'Mice and Men' is good too; each of the characters are representative of bigger sections of society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending