The Student Room Group

I am a vacuum cleaner expert. Ask me anything

I am a vacuum cleaner expert. Ask me absoutely anything about them!

Scroll to see replies

best vaccumm to invest in ?
When you clean the vacuum cleaner, do you become the vacuum cleaner?
do they suck ?

:holmes:
Reply 4
Original post by shum1614
best vaccumm to invest in ?

Usually dyson is the most consumer friendly and they are like Apple, they strive to be the best and genuinely I think they are the best as an overall vacuum (convenience, performance, style, technology, etc).

A Henry with airobrush is awesome though if you're on a budget
Reply 5
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
When you clean the vacuum cleaner, do you become the vacuum cleaner?

Haha yes I've become a vacuum cleaner many times!
You really become a vacuum cleaner cleaner still
Original post by Parwaz786
I am a vacuum cleaner expert. Ask me absoutely anything about them!

Do you name your hoover?
(Henry/henrietta etc)
If Henry and Henrietta touch tubes, does this result in a baby vacuum? :blushing:
Reply 8
Original post by Chronoscope
Do you name your hoover?
(Henry/henrietta etc)

I go by makes and model numbers strictly haha. a Henry is a HVR200 and Hetty is HET200
Reply 9
Original post by MidgetFever
If Henry and Henrietta touch tubes, does this result in a baby vacuum? :blushing:

Sadly not :frown:
Are Hoover a pretty crap brand now?

Thought on cordless rather than corded?

Cylinder or upright?
Reply 11
Original post by the bear
do they suck ?

:holmes:

For carpets they protecc
Dust bunnies they attacc

but most importantly...

They have the succc
is it illegal to use the word Hoover™ without mentioning the trademark ?
Reply 13
Original post by Reality Check
Are Hoover a pretty crap brand now?

Thought on cordless rather than corded?

Cylinder or upright?

Yes, Hoover used to be the ultimate vacuum brand till James Dyson discovered that vacuum bags killed suction, so he went to Hoover with his bagless vacuum cleaner he developed and they laughed at him. They said bags were and always will be best. They they copied him after seeing his success by 1995. Dyson took them to court and won for copying. By the mid 2000s Hoover got sold to company called TTI which also owns Vax and dirt devil along with Oreck. Dyson has basically killed the Hoover company! The hoover name just gets slapped on chinese vacuums now that aren't British at all.

Cordless is the future which is why Dyson has stopped developing corded vacuums (they still make them though) and due to convenience and lightweightness, a large sum of the vacuum market is about customers wanting cordless. I feel liek battery technology isn't there yet for most vacuums to replace a corded unless it's a Dyson V10 or V11 which has decent runtime. Yes they have less runtime on boost mode but you don't need strong suction. Good design compensates for lower suction.

For example a Dyson cordless stick vac cleans better than a 1100W Henry.
Proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VumIXJvbatk&t=184s

I prefer upright vacums as they deep clean carpets way better. It's down to personal preference really but cylinders are extra bulk in storage, extra dragging around of the hose, they get stuck against furniture, fall over when you pull the hose too hard, etc

They have the succc

You are like a child. Watch this.
Reply 15

Nope because infact most people in the UK called vacuum cleaners "Hoovers" because in the 19th century they were so popular that most people had them and as a result it would be like "Bring the Hoover upstairs". People don't realise it's a noun, then even see "Hoover" washing machines and be like WTF
Nope because infact most people in the UK called vacuum cleaners "Hoovers" because in the 19th century they were so popular that most people had them and as a result it would be like "Bring the Hoover upstairs". People don't realise it's a noun, then even see "Hoover" washing machines and be like WTF

one cannot be too careful. i always try to say Loudspeaker instead of Tannoy™ just in case.
Usually dyson is the most consumer friendly and they are like Apple, they strive to be the best and genuinely I think they are the best as an overall vacuum (convenience, performance, style, technology, etc).

A Henry with airobrush is awesome though if you're on a budget

Except Dyson steals your IP and makes it his.

No, Hoovering is allowed (it's in most dictionaries and you can play it in Scrabble), but you can't say Dysoned, or Dysoning, or "let's Dyson our apartment", not even in casual conversation.
Original post by CoolCavy
Except Dyson steals your IP and makes it his.

Dyson also promises humongous quantities of British jobs if people vote for Brexit, then packs off to Singapore when they do because the taxes are lower. He's really one of the leading ethical businessman of our times.

Quick Reply

Latest