The Student Room Group

RAF Halton - Buzz cut after arrival?

Is it true that we get a grade 2 all over when starting basic training?

The joining instructions state that upon our arrival, male hair should "well cut and trimmed" also "The Officer Commanding shall be the arbiter upon what is or not an acceptable hairstyle or length of cut" which seems to contradict my theory.

It seems silly to spend money on a haircut then get buzzed to a grade 2.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ironic Penguin
Is it true that we get a grade 2 all over when starting basic training?

The joining instructions state that upon our arrival, male hair should "well cut and trimmed" also "The Officer Commanding shall be the arbiter upon what is or not an acceptable hairstyle or length of cut" which seems to contradict my theory.

It seems silly to spend money on a haircut then get buzzed to a grade 2.

You might as well just let them cut it when you arrive. Save your money and get a cheap trim at Halton
Yeah, that's what I thought. If everyone has a mandatory shave then why waste the money on a haircut.
Original post by 0902
You might as well just let them cut it when you arrive. Save your money and get a cheap trim at Halton
Original post by Ironic Penguin
Yeah, that's what I thought. If everyone has a mandatory shave then why waste the money on a haircut.

Save that money for a well deserved drink at the bar mate!
Reply 4
Hi guys I’ve got my BRTC in a few months, I’ve heard that you DON’T have to get a buzz cut on arrival anymore? Just wondering if anyone knows if it’s true or not as I’m curious.
It’s not a movie boot camp. You don’t have to get a buzz cut. You do have to follow the rules as written in your joining instructions. Most people probably get a low-maintenance haircut at basic training because it’s one fewer things to think about and they just go with the flow because everyone else is doing it and they don’t want to stand out.
Original post by Schleigg
It’s not a movie boot camp. You don’t have to get a buzz cut. You do have to follow the rules as written in your joining instructions. Most people probably get a low-maintenance haircut at basic training because it’s one fewer things to think about and they just go with the flow because everyone else is doing it and they don’t want to stand out.

Incorrect Schleigg for years it’s been a mandatory buzz cut during the first week for airman starting basic training. Think you went the master race path so wouldn’t have been subjected to it!
Original post by AlphaTango
Incorrect Schleigg for years it’s been a mandatory buzz cut during the first week for airman starting basic training. Think you went the master race path so wouldn’t have been subjected to it!

I stand corrected! Though I would have thought we were past all that!
Reply 8
Cheers guys for the help👍🏼 Looking forward to the buzz cut!!!
You don’t get a buzz cut at Halton anymore. The shortest on the sides is a 2 you are allowed and on top you can have a reasonable length. Times are changing. You will clean shave every day at phase 1 unless of religious reasons.
Original post by NotCatchingMe
You don’t get a buzz cut at Halton anymore. The shortest on the sides is a 2 you are allowed and on top you can have a reasonable length. Times are changing. You will clean shave every day at phase 1 unless of religious reasons.

I’d would won’t if this is true👍🏼 Thankyou
Can I confirm this is (still) correct? I know this was only a month ago but really don't want a buzz cut... (My BRTC has been moved forward to March)
Original post by SmutsReport
Can I confirm this is (still) correct? I know this was only a month ago but really don't want a buzz cut... (My BRTC has been moved forward to March)

Hi

If you're male then yes, it's likely you'll get a No2 all over unless your hair is pretty short already anyway. If you're female you won't.

You can see on the video diaries what to expect, you will be able to grow it our during the course, it just needs keeping neat.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL094FE915BF943C59

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Okay thanks Adam.

I've watched all the diary entries but was hoping that aspect was outdated. Scared my hair on top won't fully grow back as I have a slight receding hairline... I have my hair relatively short so I'll just see if they want to shave it all off.
I can confirm you 100% dont need a buzz cut. Your hair just needs to be short enough to fit under your beret and the sides cant be shorter than a 2.
Original post by SmutsReport
Okay thanks Adam.

I've watched all the diary entries but was hoping that aspect was outdated. Scared my hair on top won't fully grow back as I have a slight receding hairline... I have my hair relatively short so I'll just see if they want to shave it all off.

Known lads who've recently come through and as far as I'm aware, it's still grade 2 all over.

I'd would say though mate, everyone will look the same and the gopping lid will be a pretty insignificant worry a few days in

Enjoy. All the best with basic
If anything - I’d rather a grade 2 all over! Time saver when it comes to a quick shower..
Sorry to bump this post, but what happens if your sides are shorter than a grade 2? I tend to have a Grade zero fade going up the sides and slightly longer on top ? Will I be sent home if I show up with this?
Original post by compostable
Sorry to bump this post, but what happens if your sides are shorter than a grade 2? I tend to have a Grade zero fade going up the sides and slightly longer on top ? Will I be sent home if I show up with this?

Unless you've got wording or something similar etched into your fade, I don't think you need to worry.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by RedImp98
Hi guys I’ve got my BRTC in a few months, I’ve heard that you DON’T have to get a buzz cut on arrival anymore? Just wondering if anyone knows if it’s true or not as I’m curious.

I did my basic in April. Due to COVID, we didnt get our hair cuts as there was no hair dresser. I think it may go back to the number 2 all over for the newbies. Just go down with your hair neat and no less than a number 2 on the sides as your hair is covered most of the time with your beret.

Quick Reply

Latest