The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Foundation Course at Queen Mary - SEFP

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about doing the foundation course at Queen Mary. If i were to pass, I want to get onto the mathematics with finance and accounting. How hard is it to do the foundation year? What would topics be? How many people pass? What's the pass rate? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there,
I don't know much about the SEFP but just wondering whether you got accepted through Clearing and what grades you were accepted with, as I'm also considering it.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by RGJ
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about doing the foundation course at Queen Mary. If i were to pass, I want to get onto the mathematics with finance and accounting. How hard is it to do the foundation year? What would topics be? How many people pass? What's the pass rate? Thanks!

Its basically a repeat of A-level standard of work, the topics you do will be based on what modules are needed to progress on to your chosen course. The course it a stepping stone to the main degree course.
Original post by Iqbal007
Its basically a repeat of A-level standard of work, the topics you do will be based on what modules are needed to progress on to your chosen course. The course it a stepping stone to the main degree course.

Hi,
Im considering on doing a foundation year at Queen mary and go on to their accounting and management degree
but when i checked their website, uk students foundation courses are mainly for science based subjects

Would i be able to do this foundation year and pick modules that will suit my degree.
Reply 4
I have studied at QM for 1 year (Science and Engineering Foundation Programme) and then changed the Uni. What I can honestly say it was the worst decision ever. Do not think you cant do it because its too hard, it isnt. Hovewer, the programme itself is useless for your real degree and it is waste of money and time. I do not hate qm just because it was too hard. I had 78,3% overall. Half of the students must resit one or more modules to pass the foundation. The staff is just horrible, I couldnt find any information at the information desk. The noise during the lectures is just outrageous. I emailed staff about it and all they said was "it is not high school", and I was wasting my time on lectures while I was not able to hear anything. The foundation is like a machine to make money for the University. There were more than 400 students on SEFP, 75% of them from Bangladesh India etc. Lecturer of Introduction to Engineering and "personal tutor" just should not be there. I asked him to write a reference letter because I wanted to change Uni and he just was saying that he will do it and he didnt. I was living in halls of residence. Slumming doors, kitchen nightmares and horrible smell of weed everyday. Cleaning staff was sitting in our kitchen talking on the phone, more than 4 months without a hoover!!! I really discourage form taking SEFP at Queen Mary, there are many better univs, I understand that queen changes offers because wants you to take sefp and wants you to pay additional £9k, just dont agree on that. However, it is my opinion. Some students enjoyed qm but half of them decided to change the uni. If you have more questions feel free to ask me
Original post by drosiekk
I have studied at QM for 1 year (Science and Engineering Foundation Programme) and then changed the Uni. What I can honestly say it was the worst decision ever. Do not think you cant do it because its too hard, it isnt. Hovewer, the programme itself is useless for your real degree and it is waste of money and time. I do not hate qm just because it was too hard. I had 78,3% overall. Half of the students must resit one or more modules to pass the foundation. The staff is just horrible, I couldnt find any information at the information desk. The noise during the lectures is just outrageous. I emailed staff about it and all they said was "it is not high school", and I was wasting my time on lectures while I was not able to hear anything. The foundation is like a machine to make money for the University. There were more than 400 students on SEFP, 75% of them from Bangladesh India etc. Lecturer of Introduction to Engineering and "personal tutor" just should not be there. I asked him to write a reference letter because I wanted to change Uni and he just was saying that he will do it and he didnt. I was living in halls of residence. Slumming doors, kitchen nightmares and horrible smell of weed everyday. Cleaning staff was sitting in our kitchen talking on the phone, more than 4 months without a hoover!!! I really discourage form taking SEFP at Queen Mary, there are many better univs, I understand that queen changes offers because wants you to take sefp and wants you to pay additional £9k, just dont agree on that. However, it is my opinion. Some students enjoyed qm but half of them decided to change the uni. If you have more questions feel free to ask me

Hi,
I feel like i have done really badly in my exams so think im going to have to do this foundation year. is it more like a levels or uni standard? Do they give you support if you are struggling? Also what uni did you transfer too and was it is to change uni? thanks!!
just wondering, so what uni did you end up going to?
Original post by serena.123
just wondering, so what uni did you end up going to?

You thinking of doing maths with finance and accounting at QMUL?
Reply 8
Swansea University - for engineering it is a really good place!
I am thinking of taking that course in QMUL
I did the QMUL SEFP programme a couple of years ago after completely screwing up my A-levels. This course acc saved my life. I worked incredibly hard during the year and averaged 83 % - the highest in the school of biological and chemical sciences. Having done so well, I transferred to King's College London. I cannot speak for the Physics and Engineering modules but the Chemistry, Biology and Maths modules definitely pushed me. Regardless of this being a foundation prorgramme, I struggled a lot but it was worth it because all the skills it taught me have helped me do incredibly well in my degree at King's. Some modules will feel like a repetition of A-levels: the first chemistry and the Principle of mathematics (POM) module (generally given to those who scored a D or lower in the A-level maths). These two are very easy but the biology modules are incredibly difficult. Also, you have multiple coursework weekly. The amount of cw I had was nowhere near the amount I got in my degree. Personally, I found this course v. challenging.

On a side note, if you do decide to do this course, I advise not taking POM as this will make switching universities difficult. The last mathematics module (Mathematics II) contains elements of further maths, and is defo worth doing.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm planning on going Queen Mary, doing Business Management with an integrated foundation year as that is the course I want to do in the uni I want to go to, and because at the rate I'm going at I don't expect to get that good results in my exams. I don't mind paying the extra terms worth of payment, but would I even be eligible for the foundation year? because I did my GCSEs and am doing my Alevels in the UK and I've heard that only international students are allowed to take a foundation year. Someone, please let me know.
Original post by mcxtreme
I'm planning on going Queen Mary, doing Business Management with an integrated foundation year as that is the course I want to do in the uni I want to go to, and because at the rate I'm going at I don't expect to get that good results in my exams. I don't mind paying the extra terms worth of payment, but would I even be eligible for the foundation year? because I did my GCSEs and am doing my Alevels in the UK and I've heard that only international students are allowed to take a foundation year. Someone, please let me know.

Most foundation courses are only for international student. However, there are foundation courses for home students for example the SEFP done by QM. You will need to look at the university website’s foundation page and see for yourself if they can accept home students. It will vary by institution. I am a home student and I was allowed to do the SEFP QM foundation course.
Original post by Medhopeful2020
Most foundation courses are only for international student. However, there are foundation courses for home students for example the SEFP done by QM. You will need to look at the university website’s foundation page and see for yourself if they can accept home students. It will vary by institution. I am a home student and I was allowed to do the SEFP QM foundation course.

Thanks but I need to find out whether a foundation course for business management or marketing would accept me.
I did the QMUL SEFP programme a couple of years ago after completely screwing up my A-levels. This course acc saved my life. I worked incredibly hard during the year and averaged 83 % - the highest in the school of biological and chemical sciences. Having done so well, I transferred to King's College London. I cannot speak for the Physics and Engineering modules but the Chemistry, Biology and Maths modules definitely pushed me. Regardless of this being a foundation prorgramme, I struggled a lot but it was worth it because all the skills it taught me have helped me do incredibly well in my degree at King's. Some modules will feel like a repetition of A-levels: the first chemistry and the Principle of mathematics (POM) module (generally given to those who scored a D or lower in the A-level maths). These two are very easy but the biology modules are incredibly difficult. Also, you have multiple coursework weekly. The amount of cw I had was nowhere near the amount I got in my degree. Personally, I found this course v. challenging.

On a side note, if you do decide to do this course, I advise not taking POM as this will make switching universities difficult. The last mathematics module (Mathematics II) contains elements of further maths, and is defo worth doing.

I am going to start the foundation programme for biological sciences at queens marry this year next year I want to start neuroscience will I still need to do a maths module in the foundation year . I have not done alevel maths and got a C in GCSEs . Haven’t done maths in a long time 😂 also do you get to pick which modules you do or do they automatically get chosen for you based on the degree that you would like to do.
Thanks
Original post by Litzcrep
I am going to start the foundation programme for biological sciences at queens marry this year next year I want to start neuroscience will I still need to do a maths module in the foundation year . I have not done alevel maths and got a C in GCSEs . Haven’t done maths in a long time 😂 also do you get to pick which modules you do or do they automatically get chosen for you based on the degree that you would like to do.
Thanks

For maths they pick for you depending on your most recent maths grade. They also make you do an exam within the first two weeks - you’ll have a maths test which won’t count towards your degree but If you do well you’ll get the higher level maths module
Original post by Litzcrep
Thanks

Hi there. I was just wondering if you applied through clearing for the foundation year. I'm in a similar situation. I got C in GCSE Maths and i didn't do A level maths either.

Just wondering, what did you get for a levels. I'm planning to take this same course this year.
Original post by dawud.48
Just wondering, what did you get for a levels. I'm planning to take this same course this year.

BCCDD
Original post by GreatBrattonIA
Hi there. I was just wondering if you applied through clearing for the foundation year. I'm in a similar situation. I got C in GCSE Maths and i didn't do A level maths either.

I was thinking the same. I got a C in gcse maths as well and haven't done too well in my a level exams so far. I might miss my conditional offer for biomed so need to consider the biological sciences foundation year. Just wondering did you manage to get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending