The Student Room Group

Would you vote conservative?

My parents usually vote labour, but I'm interested to know other people's political views which make them vote conservative.

Scroll to see replies

My mother votes conservative because of the fact they are better at handling money than labour.

She would say that every time labour get in they create a mess which the conservatives have to clean up.
For me, the most likely reason I'd vote conservative is fiscal responsibility. I like Corbyn but the extent of his spending plans are... concerning. I avoid debt in my personal life unless 100% necessary (mortgage) - why would I be different in terms of my government. We're already at £1.78 trillion of debt.. that number is worrying!

Having said that, Bojo has gone on a spending spree of his own including tax cuts - actually barely better.

For a lot of people its going to be Brexit and immigration more broadly.

In reality I will vote Green though as that is by far the most important issue to me. I wouldn't necessarily want them to win overall, but I do want to increase their representation and I do want the other parties to look at their vote share and realise what an important that issue is to me.
Original post by SteveyStack
My mother votes conservative because of the fact they are better at handling money than labour.

She would say that every time labour get in they create a mess which the conservatives have to clean up.

You say that but what does that actually mean?

Ask yourself, how has government policy made your life better in the last 8 years?

I take it your mum is in the top 5% of earners standing to take advantage of Brexit and the forthcoming US trade deal?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
You say that but what does that actually mean?

Ask yourself, how has government policy made your life better in the last 8 years?

I take it your mum is in the top 5% of earners standing to take advantage of Brexit and the forthcoming US trade deal?

In fairness they have stabilised an economy. Compare us to Greece Spain ect.

And no she earns min wage but we are quite rural and thus obviously a Tory stronghold unlike the cities which are traditionally labour
Original post by ByEeek

If that were the profile for every Tory supporter they wouldn't be in power would they?

Lots of 'normal' people vote Tory. If you tried to understand why rather than immediately profiling you might have more success in persuading people!
In fairness they have stabilised an economy. Compare us to Greece Spain ect.

Again, how are you measuring that? In the last 5 years or so unemployment in Spain and Greece have fallen around 10%. Both ecinomies have always had higher unemployment than the UK.

By contrast we have high employment but wage growth has been flatlining. The big question in my view is, have the conservatives stablised the economy through careful policy decisions or did it stablise itself after the 2008 correction?

I would say the later but I still put it to you, have the Tories through policies made you life better? Are you paying less tax? Are the services you access better?
Original post by nexttime
If that were the profile for every Tory supporter they wouldn't be in power would they?

Lots of 'normal' people vote Tory. If you tried to understand why rather than immediately profiling you might have more success in persuading people!

Agreed. And therein lies the million dollar question. Why do people vote as they do? I rather imagine it boils down to brand and a perception that the other lot will make a mess of things. I am dreading the next Tory government. Leaving the EU is just the start of Brexit, not the end and it is clear the US are kicking their lips in anticipation of raping us for our highly prized NHS contracts. Dark days are ahead.
Reply 8
If it was between conservative and labour I would conservatives. However If I was old enough I would vote green.(2 months to young).
Reply 9
Original post by _ap12
If it was between conservative and labour I would conservatives. However If I was old enough I would vote green.(2 months to young).

Why? Green is just like a mini Labour and is a waste of a vote because it only has one seat
Reply 10
Original post by Elbram
Why? Green is just like a mini Labour and is a waste of a vote because it only has one seat

While not perfect the green party has similar views to me on a few issues. Most notably brexit. Also my everyday life isn't likely to be directly affected by which party comes to power. I might as well vote for a party that do will do some good for the climate which is a pressing issue in my opinion.
Heavens no, the national debt has increased dramatically under the Tories whilst all our important services have been cut so they’re worse than Labour
I'm not sure if the Tories can really claim to be the fiscally responsible party anymore, given their pro-Brexit stance, which will almost certainly hit the economy, and subsequent move more towards the populist right.
Original post by ByEeek
Again, how are you measuring that? In the last 5 years or so unemployment in Spain and Greece have fallen around 10%. Both ecinomies have always had higher unemployment than the UK.

By contrast we have high employment but wage growth has been flatlining. The big question in my view is, have the conservatives stablised the economy through careful policy decisions or did it stablise itself after the 2008 correction?

I would say the later but I still put it to you, have the Tories through policies made you life better? Are you paying less tax? Are the services you access better?

Record employment, they’ve increased the personal allowance considerably. I think people don’t realise that your life isn’t going to magically get better.

In short I don’t think I’ve got worse off as a result of the Tories. Just because there hasn’t been a major uplift isn’t a reason to vote them out imo. They are far from perfect but better the devil you know than the one you don’t.

I measure it because of record low unemployment, rising wages (over 12 months of considerable rises despite what you say) and the general incentives to work.
because any other vote for the other main partys is a vote for a terrorist sympathiser and anti-semite.
Record employment, they’ve increased the personal allowance considerably. I think people don’t realise that your life isn’t going to magically get better.

In short I don’t think I’ve got worse off as a result of the Tories. Just because there hasn’t been a major uplift isn’t a reason to vote them out imo. They are far from perfect but better the devil you know than the one you don’t.

I measure it because of record low unemployment, rising wages (over 12 months of considerable rises despite what you say) and the general incentives to work.

Fair dos. However I work in a school and my kids are in school. Things are really tight there and last week when it took 5 hours to see a doctor in A+E (no appointments at local GP and 111 didn't pick up). I think it fair to say services have got worse. Out local library is now shut on a Saturday. But yes, I am a few hundred quid better off in tax so as long as nothing bad happens everything is great.
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. And therein lies the million dollar question. Why do people vote as they do?

I think a lot of it is so many people being so anti-immigration, and people being paranoid about benefit fraud - two areas they think voting for the 'bad guys' will help with.
Original post by ByEeek
Fair dos. However I work in a school and my kids are in school. Things are really tight there and last week when it took 5 hours to see a doctor in A+E (no appointments at local GP and 111 didn't pick up). I think it fair to say services have got worse. Out local library is now shut on a Saturday. But yes, I am a few hundred quid better off in tax so as long as nothing bad happens everything is great.

In fairness I don’t think much would change under labour. The issue we have is care for the elderly is costing probably £50 billion a year which means other services are being cut.
Maybe.
I'm going to be casting my best friend and her brother's proxy votes for the Conservatives.

I've voted Conservative before.
I tend to vote based upon national security, criminal justice policy, taxation, the economy and some London local issues.
But I'm no fan of the PMs brexit deal or his proposed public spending spree.
Original post by ax7fold
because any other vote for the other main partys is a vote for a terrorist sympathiser and anti-semite.

Corbyn organised the Apr. 1977 defence of Jewish populated Wood Green from a Neo-Nazi march
EDM3933 7 Nov. 1990: Corbyn signs motion condemning the rise of antisemitism
EDM634, 11 Apr. 2000: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion condemning Datuvid Irving for being a Holocaust Denier
EDM1124, 6 Nov. 2000: Jeremy Corbyn praised the ‘British Schindler’, Bill Barazetti, for his WW2 kindertransport
EDM742, 28 Jan. 2002: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion praising football clubs for commemorating Holocaust Day
EDM1233 30 Apr. 2002: Corbyn was a primary sponsor on a motion condemning antisemitism
11 May 2002: Jeremy led a clean up of Finsbury Park Synagogue after an anti-Semitic attack
EDM1691, 23 July 2002: Corbyn condemned attacks on a synagogue in Swansea
EDM123 26 Nov. 2003: Corbyn officially condemns attacks on 2 Istanbul synagogues
EDM298, 16 Dec. 2003: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion commemorating International Holocaust Day
2004: Jeremy condemned news that anti-Semitic hate crimes had risen for yet another year
EDM461, 21 Jan. 2004: Jeremy Corbyn condemned the French government’s moves to ban the Jewish Kippa in French Schools
EDM717, 26 Feb. 2004: Jeremy signed a motion praising Simon Wiesenthal for bringing Nazi perpetrators of the Holocaust to justice
EDM1613, 8 Sept. 2004: Corbyn co-sponsored a bill expressing fears for the future of the United Synagogue Pension Scheme
EDM1699, 11 Oct. 2004: Jeremy Corbyn condemned arbitrary attacks on civilians in Israel and Palestine
EDM482, 12 Jan. 2005: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion commemorating International Holocaust Day
EDM343, 16 June 2005: Jeremy condemned the desecration of a Jewish cemetery in east London
EDM1343, 11 Jan. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion commemorating International Holocaust Day
EDM1774, 8 Mar. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn led condemnations of an Iranian Magazine soliciting cartoons about the Holocaust
EDM1267, 16 Apr. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn condemned Bryan Ferry for anti-Semitic remarks
EDM2414, 26 June 2006: Jeremy Corbyn praised British war veterans for their efforts to combat the Holocaust
EDM2705, 10 Oct. 2006: Jeremy signed a motion marking the 70th anniversary of Cable Street
EDM271, 14 Nov. 2007: Jeremy co-sponsored a motion lamenting the poverty and social exclusion East London Jews suffered
EDM153, 12 May 2008: Corbyn praised the efforts of the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto during the uprising of 1944
EDM2350, 27 Oct 2008: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion marking the 70th anniversary of the horrors of the holocaust
EDM173, 8 Dec. 2008: Jeremy condemned the Press Complaints Commission for refusing to sanction The Times for antisemitism
EDM461, 14 Jan. 2009: Jeremy Corbyn condemned a wave of recent anti-Semitic incidents targeted
EDM605, 27 Jan. 2009: Corbyn signed John Mann’s motion condemning antisemitism on university campuses
EDM917 26 Feb. 2009: Jeremy signs a motion condemning antisemitism on the internet
EDM1175 24 Mar. 2009: Corbyn signs a motion praising the heroism of British Jews during Holocaust
EDM337, 2 Dec. 2009: Jeremy Condemned Iran’s treatment of Jewish minorities in Iran
EDM850 9 Feb. 2010: Jeremy joins in calls for Facebook to do more to fight antisemitism
EDM891: 22 Feb 2010: Corbyn co-sponsors a motion calling for Yemen’s Jews to be given refugee status to the UK
EDM908 27 Oct. 2010: Corbyn praises work of late Israeli PM in his pursuit of a 2 state solution
EDM1360, 27 Jan. 2011: Corbyn co-sponsored a motion praising the ‘never again for anyone initiative’
EDM1527, 3 Mar. 2011: Corbyn backed Ian Paisley's motion condemning the anti-Semitic remarks of Dior's lead fashion designer
EDM2870, 14 Mar. 2012: Jeremy Corbyn condemned the sale of Nazi memorabilia at an auction in Bristol
EDM2866, 14 Mar 2012: Jeremy Corbyn co-sponsored a bill condemning the rise of antisemitism in Lithuania
EDM2899, 20 Mar. 2012, Jeremy Corbyn condemned a terrorist attack on a Jewish school in Toulouse
EDM168, 12 June 2012, Jeremy co-sponsored a motion condemning anti-Semitic attacks during EURO 2012 in Poland
EDM 195 13 June 2012: Jeremy attacks BBC for cutting Jewish programmes from Its schedule
EDM 1133 1 Mar 2013: Corbyn joins a chorus of calls condemning antisemitism In sport
1 Oct. 2013: Corbyn was one of the few MPs who defended Ralph Miliband from Daily Mail antisemitism
EDM 932 9 Jan 2014: Jeremy praises Holocaust Memorial's work on antisemitism education
EDM 165 22 June 2015: Jeremy condemns a Neo-Nazi rally planned for a Jewish area of London
Sat 4 July 2015: Jeremy co-planned a counter-fascist demo in defence of Jewish residents at Golders Green. The march was re-routed
18 Nov. 2015, Corbyn used one of his first PMQs to challenge Cameron to do more on antisemiUsm
9 Oct 2016: Corbyn, close to tears, leads commemoration of the Battle of Cable Street
3 Dec. 2016: Corbyn visits Terezin Concentration Camp to commemorate Holocaust victims
In 2017-19 Jeremy introduced 20 new measures to combat antisemitism in the Labour Party
Corbyn has already received extensive support from Orthodox Jewish leaders. Thirty-four leading rabbis signed a letter praising Labour's "respected leader" and describing attacks on him as "irresponsible". The letter was attacked as a fake by Corbyn's critics, who were later forced to withdraw the claim when evidence was revealed by the SKWAWKBOX that they were aware of its authenticity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending