The Student Room Group

Too late to change sixthforms?

I've decided that I want to repeat year 12 (details in my last post) and in the event that my school doesn't allow me to do so I've thought about asking other colleges.

Would they be willing to , this lateninto the school year?
Original post by mmmmmmh
I've decided that I want to repeat year 12 (details in my last post) and in the event that my school doesn't allow me to do so I've thought about asking other colleges.

Would they be willing to , this lateninto the school year?

They wont let you do it now, but maybe Sept 2020 . Contact them now and ask. It depends on age, space and whether you are a decent applicant.
Original post by 999tigger
They wont let you do it now, but maybe Sept 2020 . Contact them now and ask. It depends on age, space and whether you are a decent applicant.

Oh I see. Would it make a difference that I'm already in year 13 so if I do repeat year 12 at a different school it's not like I'll be behind?
Original post by mmmmmmh
Oh I see. Would it make a difference that I'm already in year 13 so if I do repeat year 12 at a different school it's not like I'll be behind?

Yes you are likely to be too old fort a school, but a college may take you. Ask them but that is what I would expect.
Yes you are likely to be too old fort a school, but a college may take you. Ask them but that is what I would expect.

Oh okie but I'm actually still 17 and not turning 18 until next August so still the same age as people in year 12 anyway so that might make a difference but I guess I'll just ask. Thanks
Original post by mmmmmmh
Oh okie but I'm actually still 17 and not turning 18 until next August so still the same age as people in year 12 anyway so that might make a difference but I guess I'll just ask. Thanks

But you will be an 18 year old asking to go into year 12. Education ceases to be free when you are 19.
But you will be an 18 year old asking to go into year 12. Education ceases to be free when you are 19.

No, I meant if I can transfer this year so to go into year 12 perhaps after half term when I'm 17 and continue from there rather than waiting a whole year.
no, unless you transfer at the end of year 12 they won't take you. even at that point, most schools are hesitant because you only get 2 years funding. if you transfer now you will essentially be asking for them to educate you for 2 years without any funding
Original post by mmmmmmh
No, I meant if I can transfer this year so to go into year 12 perhaps after half term when I'm 17 and continue from there rather than waiting a whole year.

They will not take you. On what basis would they take you so late into the year? Imo it isnt going to happen.
Iv just recently restarted year 12.
I was in year 13 up untill abiut 2 weeks ago where I decided to drop Physics as I was failing and do biology instead
My school we’re fine with me retaking as they know it was the best thing to do.
If you speak to the collage they might allow because of certain circumstances
Original post by yoch_wint
no, unless you transfer at the end of year 12 they won't take you. even at that point, most schools are hesitant because you only get 2 years funding. if you transfer now you will essentially be asking for them to educate you for 2 years without any funding

Oh I see. I thought you got funding until you're 19. I wouldn't be 19 until August 2021 hence it wouldn't matter in that case if I did repeat a year. Thanks for letting me know.

Quick Reply