The Student Room Group

How to revise for GCSE

How did you revise for GCSEs especially sciences ie did u make notes how did you do them or anything else? Also what about religion studies im doing the Islam and Christianity topic. Do you think my current method of revising is effective: I basically have a a4 notebook and i write all my notes gathered from school, textbook, free science lessons and highlight important information. Then I re read the notes and use the scribble technique and write it over and over again until it has stuck in my brain. Thanks in advance for the replies 🙃🙃. Also, if you don’t mind me asking what grades did you get in all your subjects due to your revisions techniques?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ezza1234
How did you revise for GCSEs especially sciences ie did u make notes how did you do them or anything else? Thanks

When I studied my GCSEs, specifically science, I created mind maps for all the required practicals. They include hypotheses, results, a method, and a diagram so I knew facts about each practical. After doing this, I then created flashcards on the other topics, for example, cells. It did create a big pile of flashcards though! but I found this quite helpful for myself.

Once all my revision resources were made I then completed past papers from the exam boards website, I held the past papers in a separate folder from everything else.
Thank you so much for the helpful advice; I think making mindmaps for practicals is a really good idea. Also is writing notes in a notebook the same as making flash cards as they are a4? Also, if you don’t mind me asking what did you get in your GCSEs?
I would advise flashcards for science subjects! Make sure you get someone to test you on them or, if nobody is available, write what you can remember of a topic onto a blank piece of paper then fill in what you missed out in a different colour. Then make flashcards on this colour only. I did this for science and history and it really helped :wink: also make sure you’re doing lots of practice questions after you’ve revised a topic. Give yourself regular breaks but don’t procrastinate - I’d recommend the forest app or Pomodoro technique for this.
Good luck & I hope this helped! :smile:
for science look up freesciencelessons on YouTube
Original post by RebeccaB_x
I would advise flashcards for science subjects! Make sure you get someone to test you on them or, if nobody is available, write what you can remember of a topic onto a blank piece of paper then fill in what you missed out in a different colour. Then make flashcards on this colour only. I did this for science and history and it really helped :wink: also make sure you’re doing lots of practice questions after you’ve revised a topic. Give yourself regular breaks but don’t procrastinate - I’d recommend the forest app or Pomodoro technique for this.
Good luck & I hope this helped!

Thank you sooooo much I will try the forest app 🙃. Also, what information do you use to make your flashcards do you use free science lessons, textbooks (if so which ones) or teacher notes...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by holly6901
for science look up freesciencelessons on YouTube

Yep I do that already 😂
I think Mindmaps are the number one tool for the bulk Science revision. One major mistake people make with this tool is they put too much information on them. Mindmaps are meant to be triggers for your mind and not an information dump. Most people copy the information they have from the text book on to the mindmap. What you want to do is put down the bare minimum so that when you next look at it your brain is doing the hard work, and your not just reading it! Targeting you revision is also an important technique. You may be interested in my Revision YouTube channel (literally just started but new episodes out every Tuesday that cover stuff like this). Let me know if its helpful / any other topics you may want to know. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W_Di2VPXGg
Thank you sooooo much I will try the forest app 🙃. Also, what information do you use to make your flashcards do you use free science lessons, textbooks (if so which ones) or teacher notes...

I used the CGP guides, they’re amazing! However, I copied the definitions and some of the explanations from the specification as the science mark schemes as so specific and sometimes you have to word it the way they have worded it on the spec. :smile:
Original post by Btblackboard
I think Mindmaps are the number one tool for the bulk Science revision. One major mistake people make with this tool is they put too much information on them. Mindmaps are meant to be triggers for your mind and not an information dump. Most people copy the information they have from the text book on to the mindmap. What you want to do is put down the bare minimum so that when you next look at it your brain is doing the hard work, and your not just reading it! Targeting you revision is also an important technique. You may be interested in my Revision YouTube channel (literally just started but new episodes out every Tuesday that cover stuff like this). Let me know if its helpful / any other topics you may want to know. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W_Di2VPXGg

Thank you very much I will definitely watch ur channel and subscribe. Do you think my current method of revising is effective: I basically have a a4 notebook and i write all my notes gathered from school, textbook, free science lessons and highlight important information. Then I re read the notes and use the scribble technique and write it over and over again until it has stuck in my brain. Thanks in advance for the reply
Original post by Btblackboard

Btw just watched ur channel and it is extremely helpful will stay tuned.. :smile:
How did you revise for GCSEs especially sciences ie did u make notes how did you do them or anything else? Also what about religion studies im doing the Islam and Christianity topic.

Hi. What about my preps for Science and Maths: Ive sticked to youtube sources Math genie and for Science. But also I've found one interesting offer from one guy here on forum. Youtuber and a math teacher Daniel Dallas. He gives a chance to subsribers on his youtube channel Math Science by Daniel Dallas to ask to clarify any MATHs topic subs want. You can drop as a Subscriber a questions in comments on the channel for maths and he will explain U and even may be create a video. Try and tell me pls if it works.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RebeccaB_x
I used the CGP guides, they’re amazing! However, I copied the definitions and some of the explanations from the specification as the science mark schemes as so specific and sometimes you have to word it the way they have worded it on the spec. :smile:

thanks I use CGP tooo
Original post by wild_card_2005
Hi. What about my preps for Science and Maths: Ive sticked to youtube sources Math genie and for Science. But also I've found one interesting offer from one guy here on forum. Youtuber and a math teacher Daniel Dallas. He gives a chance to subsribers on his youtube channel Math Science by Daniel Dallas to ask to clarify any MATHs topic subs want. You can drop as a Subscriber a questions in comments on the channel for maths and he will explain U and even may be create a video. Try and tell me pls if it works.

Good idea I will try it out :smile::smile:
How did you revise for GCSEs especially sciences ie did u make notes how did you do them or anything else? Also what about religion studies im doing the Islam and Christianity topic. Do you think my current method of revising is effective: I basically have a a4 notebook and i write all my notes gathered from school, textbook, free science lessons and highlight important information. Then I re read the notes and use the scribble technique and write it over and over again until it has stuck in my brain. Thanks in advance for the replies 🙃🙃

Hi there @Ezza1234

Revision at any level (GCSE or degree) is so much easier if you know what type of learner you are!

Study SMART Not Long: It's much easier to implement a regular and successful study schedule if you are studying SMART.
o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinaesthetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself. This was the big point for me. Once I knew this, I organised my revision much more successfully. The best method of revision is individual to you.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

I hope this helps and please feel free to message any questions we can help answer.

Fi :horse:
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there @Ezza1234

Revision at any level (GCSE or degree) is so much easier if you know what type of learner you are!

Study SMART Not Long: It's much easier to implement a regular and successful study schedule if you are studying SMART.
o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinaesthetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself. This was the big point for me. Once I knew this, I organised my revision much more successfully. The best method of revision is individual to you.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

I hope this helps and please feel free to message any questions we can help answer.

Wow thank you so much for the detailed answer I really appreciate it!!! However how do I know what learner I am?
Wow thank you so much for the detailed answer I really appreciate it!!! However how do I know what learner I am?

Hi there @Ezza1234

You're very welcome! You'd need to take a VARK test such as this one and can then look for the tips on how to learn/revise.

How did you revise for GCSEs especially sciences ie did u make notes how did you do them or anything else? Also what about religion studies im doing the Islam and Christianity topic. Do you think my current method of revising is effective: I basically have a a4 notebook and i write all my notes gathered from school, textbook, free science lessons and highlight important information. Then I re read the notes and use the scribble technique and write it over and over again until it has stuck in my brain. Thanks in advance for the replies 🙃🙃

the YouTube channel "free science lessons" was a life saver
Good idea I will try it out :smile::smile:

I wasn't sure about biquadratic and other exotic questions, now I know. He explains good. Want more topics on his channel. Maybe advise him which video to create. He has no many Subs, may be it might work :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there @Ezza1234

You're very welcome! You'd need to take a VARK test such as this one and can then look for the tips on how to learn/revise.

Thanks sooo much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending