The Student Room Group

Feeling isolated in the unis LGBT society

So my uni has an LGBT society like most do, I joined it in first year and became an official member the year after that. I'm now in third year and have found it disappointing to be honest. I feel like I don't fit in as the focus is so much on gender rather than sexuality.
I don't have a problem with that at all, obviously trans people are apart of the acronym too but I'm not exaggerating when I say everyone in the facebook chat has their pronouns set to they/them or they/he etc.
I joined in the first place as a possible place to find a girlfriend (am a lesbian) but there appears to be no actual girls in the group so what's the point. I wish there was more focus on other things other than gender, it should at least be 50/50 gender and sexuality covered
by the societies activities and conversations. Again am not trying to hate on trans people at all, they need spaces to relate to people but so do other letters in the community.
Original post by Anonymous
So my uni has an LGBT society like most do, I joined it in first year and became an official member the year after that. I'm now in third year and have found it disappointing to be honest. I feel like I don't fit in as the focus is so much on gender rather than sexuality.
I don't have a problem with that at all, obviously trans people are apart of the acronym too but I'm not exaggerating when I say everyone in the facebook chat has their pronouns set to they/them or they/he etc.
I joined in the first place as a possible place to find a girlfriend (am a lesbian) but there appears to be no actual girls in the group so what's the point. I wish there was more focus on other things other than gender, it should at least be 50/50 gender and sexuality covered
by the societies activities and conversations. Again am not trying to hate on trans people at all, they need spaces to relate to people but so do other letters in the community.

Trans people can also come under the 'LBG' part of the acronym - it's not mutually exclusive. It could be that the gender focus has come from them struggling more with that particular area, and therefore want to talk about it more than their sexuality. Have you asked any of them whether it would be okay to discuss sexuality too?
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Trans people can also come under the 'LBG' part of the acronym - it's not mutually exclusive. It could be that the gender focus has come from them struggling more with that particular area, and therefore want to talk about it more than their sexuality. Have you asked any of them whether it would be okay to discuss sexuality too?

Yeh I know I just meant that someone isn't very likely to be a lesbian if they don't identify as a girl (the majority are non binary)
I have tried a few times but people just ignore me and carry on discussing packers/binders etc
Yeh I know I just meant that someone isn't very likely to be a lesbian if they don't identify as a girl (the majority are non binary)
I have tried a few times but people just ignore me and carry on discussing packers/binders etc

Try not to make presumptions - a MtF trans person could identify as lesbian for instance.

Have you spoken to anyone on the society's committee about how you feel?
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Try not to make presumptions - a MtF trans person could identify as lesbian for instance.

Have you spoken to anyone on the society's committee about how you feel?

I understand that, however it's not assuming when there are about 2 identified girls in the group and the rest have they them pronouns.
No I didn't know it was possible to do that
I understand that, however it's not assuming when there are about 2 identified girls in the group and the rest have they them pronouns.
No I didn't know it was possible to do that

I'd say the society president would be your first port of call - they would have the most say in how the society is run. They may also have ideas on how to bring a wider demographic to the society.

Quick Reply