The Student Room Group

need an excuse for missing my seminar

serious replies only pls everyone this is urgent

i'm missing tomorrow's seminar because i have a 3pm deadline tomorrow for an essay i haven't started and then i work at a club from 10pm-6am most nights so i need to catch up on sleep before my shift :/

now obvs i can't give that as a reason for not attending, i've already missed the same seminar once this year because i was genuinely ill but i can't say i'm ill again!

help will be much appreciated thank u xoxo
Original post by Anonymous
serious replies only pls everyone this is urgent

i'm missing tomorrow's seminar because i have a 3pm deadline tomorrow for an essay i haven't started and then i work at a club from 10pm-6am most nights so i need to catch up on sleep before my shift :/

now obvs i can't give that as a reason for not attending, i've already missed the same seminar once this year because i was genuinely ill but i can't say i'm ill again!

help will be much appreciated thank u xoxo

you could say that an elderly family member got ill and you had to stay with them to check up on them or even that a family member had to go to hospital for a broken bone and they kept you waiting
Reply 2
You need to buy a new watering can from B&Q at the utmost urgence.
say youre ill again?? its winter everyones got something
Tell em' yer pet penguin got it's flipper stuck in the toaster and had to be rushed to hospital

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by Charlotteh4
you could say that an elderly family member got ill and you had to stay with them to check up on them or even that a family member had to go to hospital for a broken bone and they kept you waiting

omg good idea, thanks so much for your help haha!! xx
Tell them you have explosive diarheaa

Tell them you need to pack in case you get booted off the course on short notice for not being bothered with it.
Original post by neon1041
Tell them you have explosive diarheaa

Though the packing suggestion is more honest in a way.
Use the cold weather, say car broke down or something
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Tell them you need to pack in case you get booted off the course on short notice for not being bothered with it.

'not being bothered with it' when i'm working two minumum wage jobs alongside uni to pay rent and send money home to help my mum afford to look after my younger sisters + barely have time to do any of the reading or assessments even on around 4 hours of sleep every night. i know i should be doing better with my course but still a really unnecessary comment given the situation i'm in atm :smile:
Do you need an excuse? Is seminar attendance closely monitored? At my university you get nagged if you miss too many seminars but missing a single one will just mean a cross next to a date and not much more.
Can't you go to another group's seminar?
Brexit... and the election! Has worked 3 yrs for the govt.
Reply 14
Original post by Vinny C
Brexit... and the election! Has worked 3 yrs for the govt.

The perfect excuse!
Reply 15
'not being bothered with it' when i'm working two minumum wage jobs alongside uni to pay rent and send money home to help my mum afford to look after my younger sisters + barely have time to do any of the reading or assessments even on around 4 hours of sleep every night. i know i should be doing better with my course but still a really unnecessary comment given the situation i'm in atm :smile:

Well nobody knows how much you are working so that’s just the replies you will get from time to time.
'not being bothered with it' when i'm working two minumum wage jobs alongside uni to pay rent and send money home to help my mum afford to look after my younger sisters + barely have time to do any of the reading or assessments even on around 4 hours of sleep every night.

Ok, if you want a better answer, give better context.

At that level of workload you are very likely going to burn out / fail the year / scrape a 3rd so you need to come up with a better plan than skipping the odd seminar. A decent course will be designed for a fully engaged student who treats it like a job and has just enough time on the side for a bit of sport, some social life and perhaps a part time job for beer money, not to support a family. Its not going to work trying to do 2 other jobs at the same time.

Ok, what to do.

1) Go see your tutor and explain the pressure you are under.

2) Check what your university has available for emergency funding, many institutions and SUs will have bursaries to help students under major pressure. Your tutor can help making a case, or direct you to the right people to talk to.

3) If this really is your situation for the long term, you need to look at going part time or doing an OU degree rather than trying to tough it out.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending