The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Biosciences Applicants/Offer Holders 2018!

:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Im just looking to help, if you have any questions I am currently a 1st year student on the course you have been accepted on. :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by eyyyooo98
Im just looking to help, if you have any questions I am currently a 1st year student on the course you have been accepted on. :smile:

That's really kind - thank you very much! :smile:
Helllo,

Congrats on your offer for Lancaster! I'm currently a third year student studying Natural Sciences there, but I started life at Lancaster studying Biological Sciences and still focus on Biology and Environment Centre modules now.

If you have any questions about the course, facilities, campus or anything to do with life at Lancaster, please don't hesitate to give me a message - I'd love to help :smile:
Reply 4
Hello, congrats on your unconditional offer! I also have an unconditional offer from lancaster but for psychology :smile:
Original post by OceanGirl
Helllo,

Congrats on your offer for Lancaster! I'm currently a third year student studying Natural Sciences there, but I started life at Lancaster studying Biological Sciences and still focus on Biology and Environment Centre modules now.

If you have any questions about the course, facilities, campus or anything to do with life at Lancaster, please don't hesitate to give me a message - I'd love to help :smile:

Thank you so much, that's very kind of you! 😊
Original post by Beth.hil
Hello, congrats on your unconditional offer! I also have an unconditional offer from lancaster but for psychology :smile:

Thank you very much - many congratulations to you too, that's fantastic! 😁
Dont go to Lancaster for any bio related degree. There are far far better universities out there.

Ex Biological Science Lancaster Alumnus
Original post by Beth.hil

Ah me too! I'm super excited!!
Can anyone share your experience of being a biomedical science student in Lancaster? The ranking is high but how about the real life there? Many thanks
Original post by Candiceswyip
Can anyone share your experience of being a biomedical science student in Lancaster? The ranking is high but how about the real life there? Many thanks

Hello,
I just finished 2nd year studying Biological Sciences with Biomedicine (very similar to Biomed but more flexibility).
Since Biomedical Science is an accredited course there won't be any choice until 3rd year. In first year you'll do 15 modules total (3 per 5 weeks) with an end of module test at the end of the 5 weeks. The modules will have coursework going with it and the end of year exams will be multiple choice. You'll study a Biochemistry stream (genetics, protein biochemistry, cell biology etc) and a Biomedicine stream (anatomy and tissue structure, infection and disease, hormones and development etc) as well as a stream aimed at Biomedicine students covering ethics and data analysis (don't think these modules have exams). You'll have 12 lectures a week and 3 workshops/practicals. If you want more info on second and third year then let me know but I don't want to overwhelm you with info! In terms of living on campus, you'll be in your college so everyone you live with will study various degrees but you'll all be in the same college. You won't be more than 15 minutes from any of your lectures or the library. Wednesday afternoons are the 'society afternoons' that you'll have free in theory to do sports of any other activities. Wednesday nights are the nights that societies get into Sugar (the club) for free. Sugar is also open on Fridays and the Sugar bus takes you there and back for free. There's also a bus on Wednesdays that takes you to Sainsburys and back for free, but a lot of students get deliveries to their accommodation. There's a society on campus that screens that latest films on campus, and there's often a lot of activities going on at the bars.
Let me know if you have any questions that can help you get an idea!
Charlotte :smile:
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Thanks for your reply. BTW, do you think Lancaster U is good? Difficult to find a placement in yr 3 or not? Many thanks again.
Thanks for your reply. BTW, do you think Lancaster U is good? Difficult to find a placement in yr 3 or not? Many thanks again.

I personally think Lancaster is good, there's a good mix of learning the theory and learning the practical skills. Most of the lecturers are good and will help you out & the content covered tends to cover nearly everything you'd want to know (and more). I didn't apply for a placement but lots of people did and a lot of them got it! I think people applied to ones in Lancaster but also in their home town as well. You'll get supported through a placement application though.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
I personally think Lancaster is good, there's a good mix of learning the theory and learning the practical skills. Most of the lecturers are good and will help you out & the content covered tends to cover nearly everything you'd want to know (and more). I didn't apply for a placement but lots of people did and a lot of them got it! I think people applied to ones in Lancaster but also in their home town as well. You'll get supported through a placement application though.

thanks
Original post by BioBelle
Hello! I'm over the moon that I received an Unconditional Offer from Lancaster University for Biological Sciences! I received a letter confirming this, which was personalised towards my personal statement which I thought was very thoughtful and it was very thorough. I've started this discussion for applicants/offer holders for degrees within the Biosciences department to join. Good luck to applicants, and also, congratulations to those of you fortunate enough to have an offer! :smile:

2 years late to the party 😳!
How is Lancaster? I’m also applying with the same course- but I’m nervous.
What were your predicted grades if you don’t mind me asking?
What factor do you think had the biggest role in you receiving an unconditional?

Original post by Itsnotaphasemom
2 years late to the party 😳!
How is Lancaster? I’m also applying with the same course- but I’m nervous.
What were your predicted grades if you don’t mind me asking?
What factor do you think had the biggest role in you receiving an unconditional?

Hello,
Don't be nervous!
Feel free to drop a reply to this/message if you have any questions.
Unconditionals now have to go through the interview process.
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
hello,
Will Lancaster arrange interview to the candidates applying for Biomedical science? Will they offer unconditional offer too?

Many thanks!😄
hello,
Will Lancaster arrange interview to the candidates applying for Biomedical science? Will they offer unconditional offer too?

Many thanks!😄

Hello,
If it's the same as last year, you will get sent conditional offers out without interview. Some candidates will be offered an interview to change their offer to unconditional. I don't know what the criteria is but that's how it ran last year. Not everyone was invited to an interview.
Hi Charlotte,
May I know when will issue the conditional offer if I will send application in this few days and the application is sucessful?

Thanks
Hi Charlotte,
May I know when will issue the conditional offer if I will send application in this few days and the application is sucessful?

Thanks

Hello,
I'm sorry but there's no way for me to tell! Our term ends next Friday 13th so if you don't hear back by then, it might not be until mid-January. However, from my experience a few years ago, I got an offer after 2 weeks. The interview dates are mostly in March though, so don't worry if you don't get one for a while!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending