The Student Room Group

How to revise well for GCSE Religious studies/education

Hi
How does everyone revise for GCSE religious studies I’m doing Christianity and Islam and I’m so bad at revising for Christianity i keep forgetting the information eg the resurrection. Do you make notes or what? Thanks for any replies!!!

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Original post by Ezza1234
Hi
How does everyone revise for GCSE religious studies I’m doing Christianity and Islam and I’m so bad at revising for Christianity i keep forgetting the information eg the resurrection. Do you make notes or what? Thanks for any replies!!!

I make pieces of paper with illustrations of what I learning. With facts condensed, lots of pictures highlighters, silly things to make me remember, changing fonts and colour for emphasis. I also do lots of practice questions and send them to my teacher to mark. The more you do the more likely you are to have the same one appear in your exam. I also write flashcards with 3 mark questions on the front and possible answers on the back. I also make flashcards with bible verses on. (I do this for Islam also). I am a strict Christian from birth so I understand the Bible very well if you would like me to explain/need help with anything. :smile:
Reply 2
Hi

I use revision cards to just learn the basic knowledge and teachings e.g. Ascension - Jesus rose to heaven and lifted man's sin with him 'Love thy neighbour' and then I also before a unit assessment I do a 2 page mind map on the whole unit and make detailed notes e.g. the theme religion and life I did 4 mind maps with exam questions, teaching and 3 different beliefs about each concept
Original post by devon_15
I use revision cards to just learn the basic knowledge and teachings e.g. Ascension - Jesus rose to heaven and lifted man's sin with him 'Love thy neighbour' and then I also before a unit assessment I do a 2 page mind map on the whole unit and make detailed notes e.g. the theme religion and life I did 4 mind maps with exam questions, teaching and 3 different beliefs about each concept

That is similar to what I do but instead of making
Mindmaps I write a4 pages notes is that still as efficient- pls let me know?
Original post by MiriamL

Spoiler

I make pieces of paper with illustrations of what I learning. With facts condensed, lots of pictures highlighters, silly things to make me remember, changing fonts and colour for emphasis. I also do lots of practice questions and send them to my teacher to mark. The more you do the more likely you are to have the same one appear in your exam. I also write flashcards with 3 mark questions on the front and possible answers on the back. I also make flashcards with bible verses on. (I do this for Islam also). I am a strict Christian from birth so I understand the Bible very well if you would like me to explain/need help with anything. :smile:

Condensing seems like a good idea!!! Also, I’ve got a question what is the Word in Christianity I am very confused as it says it Jesus please could you explain? :smile:
Condensing seems like a good idea!!! Also, I’ve got a question what is the Word in Christianity I am very confused as it says it Jesus please could you explain? :smile:

The word is basically an alternate name for Jesus. It is almost only used in John Chapter 1 where Jesus was referred to as the word in creation. ‘In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God’ = ‘In the beginning was Jesus, Jesus was with God (the father) and was God’ I guess it’s used as imagery for Jesus being part of creation. For a 3 mark question such as ‘Describe the role of the word in creation’ I would write:
In the creation story in John Chapter 1 the word was a referral to Jesus and how he was present at the beginning of time and through him God created the world. It shows him as fully God by the fact he was not created but in existence before creation. The use of the word ‘word’ shows how he was present maybe creating the earth from instructions God gave him.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MiriamL
The word is basically an alternate name for Jesus. It is almost only used in John Chapter 1 where Jesus was referred to as the word in creation. ‘In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God’ = ‘In the beginning was Jesus, Jesus was with God (the father) and was God’ I guess it’s used as imagery for Jesus being part of creation. For a 3 mark question such as ‘Describe the role of the word in creation’ I would write:
In the creation story in John Chapter 1 the word was a referral to Jesus and how he was present at the beginning of time and through him God created the world. It shows him as fully God by the fact he was not created but in existence before creation. The use of the word ‘word’ shows how he was present maybe creating the earth from instructions God gave him.

Thank you soooo much that clears my confusion. So Jesus is believed to be in existence before actually becoming Human right?
Original post by MiriamL

I will definitely ask you again for any Christianity’s topics I struggle with!!! Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSES? :smile:
Thank you soooo much that clears my confusion. So Jesus is believed to be in existence before actually becoming Human right?

Yes he is :smile:
I will definitely ask you again for any Christianity’s topics I struggle with!!! Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSES? :smile:

I’m taking R.S this year as well but I have been consistently getting 9’s in tests and practice tests and am predicted an 8 for my mock :smile:
Reply 10
Just order an rs revision guide from cgp and read it thoroughly
Original post by MiriamL
I’m taking R.S this year as well but I have been consistently getting 9’s in tests and practice tests and am predicted an 8 for my mock :smile:

Wow well done! Are you in year 11?
Original post by Sjjdjs
Just order an rs revision guide from cgp and read it thoroughly

Did you find that was helpful?
Original post by MiriamL

Also, Miriam for my RS test do you think I need to know all the quotes for the second account of creation which focuses on humans. Also, could you give me some exemplar d style questions on eschatology urgently if you don’t mind. Thank you!!! :smile:
Hi

kinda late to the thread(as always)
i did the same gcse as you (islam and christianity) and i got a grade 9 so this is how i revised
bought the gcse revision guide only £10 (worth it)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-GCSE-Religious-Studies-Christianity/dp/0198422830/ref=asc_df_0198422830/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310551242326&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18207123837998324237&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046455&hvtargid=pla-574124614257&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
then went to each chapter and made a flash card on that chapter 1 side chritiantiy and one side islam (for themes) and then for beliefs and practices get a flash card and do the same but used different colours
in the revision guide there are 4 marks , take them and turn them into a 12 marker
get different colour revision cards and write key quotes max 2 per chapter
keep practicing and get your teacher to mark them then re do them in a week
also it doesn't matter what you are predicted, (i got a grade 6 predicted and they said i had no chance of getting a 9)
Original post by sleepwalker2011
kinda late to the thread(as always)
i did the same gcse as you (islam and christianity) and i got a grade 9 so this is how i revised
bought the gcse revision guide only £10 (worth it)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-GCSE-Religious-Studies-Christianity/dp/0198422830/ref=asc_df_0198422830/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310551242326&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18207123837998324237&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046455&hvtargid=pla-574124614257&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
then went to each chapter and made a flash card on that chapter 1 side chritiantiy and one side islam (for themes) and then for beliefs and practices get a flash card and do the same but used different colours
in the revision guide there are 4 marks , take them and turn them into a 12 marker
get different colour revision cards and write key quotes max 2 per chapter
keep practicing and get your teacher to mark them then re do them in a week
also it doesn't matter what you are predicted, (i got a grade 6 predicted and they said i had no chance of getting a 9)

Thank you so much I am going to definitely buy it! Also congratulations on the 9!!!!
thank you and good luck with your GCSE
ask me if u need anything
Reply 17
Did you find that was helpful?

Yeppp and also do 12 markers and give them to your teacher to mark. Do 5 markers too. For my mocks in yr11 I got a grade 5. However all throughout the years I was getting good grades on my class exams on individual topics. For gcses I was predicted a grade 7 due to my class tests. I came out with a grade 9.
Reply 18
Yhh good luck with your gcse exams next year!
Also, Miriam for my RS test do you think I need to know all the quotes for the second account of creation which focuses on humans. Also, could you give me some exemplar d style questions on eschatology urgently if you don’t mind. Thank you!!! :smile:

For the second account of creation I think you would need to know how God formed Adam and Eve and why but probably no direct quotes. Know that Adam was formed from the dust to work the land and look after the animals, and Eve was created from his hip bone to be his companion. What is a d style question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending