Talking about death in person statement

Watch
fluffy_2000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am applying for a healthcare course and I was wondering whether it’s appropriate or not to talk about my mothers death. I was doing to talk about what qualities I have gained and how it has changed me as a person but I don’t want it to come across looking like I’m trying to get sympathy or using it as a pity vote to get into the course.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fluffy_2000)
I am applying for a healthcare course and I was wondering whether it’s appropriate or not to talk about my mothers death. I was doing to talk about what qualities I have gained and how it has changed me as a person but I don’t want it to come across looking like I’m trying to get sympathy or using it as a pity vote to get into the course.
Does it make you a better candidate as to someone who wants to become a nurse? It depends. If you use it, then be clear and make relevant points about how it helps give you motivation or skills needed to become a nurse. They key is not your life story, but how it makes you a better candidate for the course. If you do 100 posts someone form the ps team will review it.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
not worth it, it will prob make the person who reads it feel awkward. seems unnecessary in any case
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Generally your personal experiences aren't something you should spend a long time talking about if you do choose to include them. The key issue with this is that you need to demonstrate understanding that there are huge differences between caring for a close relative and providing a professional level of care as an employee.

We have more detail about this in the healthcare PS guidance article which may be useful to you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5550452

(Original post by 999tigger)
Does it make you a better candidate as to someone who wants to become a nurse? It depends. If you use it, then be clear and make relevant points about how it helps give you motivation or skills needed to become a nurse. They key is not your life story, but how it makes you a better candidate for the course. If you do 100 posts someone form the ps team will review it.
Just for info there is no minimum number of posts for PS review (although we do prioritise reviews from more established members). We find telling people they need to get to 100 posts just encourages them to spam
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)

Just for info there is no minimum number of posts for PS review (although we do prioritise reviews from more established members). We find telling people they need to get to 100 posts just encourages them to spam
Sure that used to be the rule.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Sure that used to be the rule.
It may have been once, however it hasn't been the case as long as I can remember. I'm co-running the service so I can assure you that we don't have a posting limit currently and have no plans to bring this in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (40)
5.96%
Uncertainty around my education (78)
11.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (85)
12.67%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.51%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (37)
5.51%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (72)
10.73%
Financial worries (42)
6.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (29)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (40)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (21)
3.13%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (65)
9.69%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (53)
7.9%

Watched Threads