The Student Room Group

GCSE help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usernamr
yh thanks

No problem, do you have any upcoming mocks? do you feel prepared for them?
Original post by Hazzabear
No problem, do you have any upcoming mocks? do you feel prepared for them?

not yet (in like 3 mnths)
not yet (in like 3 mnths)

That's fair enough, if you need any advice or have any questions, you're welcome to drop me a message! :smile:
Original post by fhughfhd
If anyone is looking for a reliable , high quality tutoring service just PM me! (Received 8 9's and 2 8's at GCSE). I know what you have to do in order to get those top grades.

8's in what subjects???
Reply 24
Original post by Hazzabear
What subjects did you study? More info?

Edexcel Maths(9)
AQA English Language(8)
AQA English literature(8)
AQA Biology (9)
AQA Chemistry (9)
AQA Physics (9)
AQA German(7)
Edexcel B Geography (9)
Computer Science (9) (can't remember the exam board
Edexcel Business studies (9)
AQA Religious studies (9)
Reply 25
Original post by Jimmerm78
Is it possible to increase my history grade form a 2 to a 5, and also English language and literature from a 6 to a 9 in about half a year

Half a year is a lot longer than you may think. If you try hard then you could definitely raise your grades. I'm not sure if you could raise them from a 6 to a 9 but you may be able to :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by hudz1e
hi how did u revise for science? i do combined higher and i'm really struggling. i have mocks for the next 2 weeks and i've tried to revise by using seneca, freescience lessons and making notes from an online and my own textbook but i still feel like it's not enough

To be honest i didn't really revise for science but some good tips that my friends did were seneca and free science lessons. It all depends on what works for you though. For some people notes are great because you can condense all the information and write it in a certain way that helps you remember. Others find it a time waster and prefer flashcards or exam questions. What has worked for you in your other subjects? What grade are you aiming for?
Also if you are struggling, do not be scared to ask the teacher. For maths i would ask my teacher loads of questions and it felt a bit embarrassing at times but remember they are here to help you so if you are struggling with a certain topic/ concept ask them 2,3,4 times if you need to. Do you struggle more with physics, chemistry or biology? If you have any specific questions you are struggling with I could help explain them to you :smile:
Hope that helped x
Reply 27
yo how can I practice for maths edexcel im a yr10

Have you used https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html. They have exam papers and exam questions which are arranged by grade so you can consolidate your knowledge or stretch yourself with grade 8-9 questions.
Reply 28
Original post by Emily~3695
What did u get in English lit it was the only mock grade I was unhappy with (6) as I would like an 8 and was looking for some advice 😊

I got an 8. Advice on what in particular, revision, essays, context ?
Reply 29
yh i have used mathsgenie but its not always useful :frown:

Try hegarty maths or Dr Frost. They are a bit different to maths genie.
Do u still have ur notes for triple and history because it would help me a lot
Original post by stephsmhb
Edexcel Maths(9)
AQA English Language(8)
AQA English literature(8)
AQA Biology (9)
AQA Chemistry (9)
AQA Physics (9)
AQA German(7)
Edexcel B Geography (9)
Computer Science (9) (can't remember the exam board
Edexcel Business studies (9)
AQA Religious studies (9)

Did you enjoy those subjects?
Original post by anamazingperson
8's in what subjects???

History and English Language
I got an 8. Advice on what in particular, revision, essays, context ?

I think I struggle most with essays and knowing what to revise, how did you revise for English?
Reply 34
Original post by Sanya 14
Do u still have ur notes for triple and history because it would help me a lot

I didn't do history and I didn't write any notes for triple
Reply 35
I think I struggle most with essays and knowing what to revise, how did you revise for English?

Are you talking about language or lit?
Are you talking about language or lit?

Literature I’m doing well in language at the moment I’m just not really sure how to revise lit to get a good grade 😊
Reply 37
Literature I’m doing well in language at the moment I’m just not really sure how to revise lit to get a good grade 😊

For literature I did 1 timed essay per month depending on what I felt weakest on. So at the beginning my poetry essays were the weakest so my first 2 essays (September and October) were for poetry. If you are motivated and want to get even higher grades then you could do them once a week ,or twice a month but for me that was enough as I started on September so that meant 9 timed essays on top of the 2 mocks my school provided. Make sure they are timed, this method doesnt really work otherwise because it's meant to be a bit like an exam practice

The second thing I did is go over context. So i spent 5 minutes writing down all the context I could remember for that book/poem etc. If I looked at it and I had a sufficient amount of context (for me that was half a page but it could be more for you). I would keep that paper and just look at it whenever I had a spare minute (e.g. on the bus, when eating breakfast etc.) Therefore I was actually revising context but it didnt really feel like it because I was doing it in 1 minute chunks.
If the context isnt sufficient then do some research, go to your old class books and write out context you think you will be able to use. The reason i suggest to try and do it using what you can remember first, is because if you has already managed to remember it at that moment then all you have to do is go over it every month or so to maintain that knowledge rather than learning the context and remembering it.

I didnt do anything for unseen poetry because for me it felt the same as analysing the extracts in English Language which I was already quite good at

That is what I did. Was there any specific parts of lit you were struggling with because I could tell you my tips for your specific difficulty rather than just the general thing I did.
Hi, I took my gcse's in summer 2019 and received 1 7, 2 8's and 8 9's. So if you need any help with exam questions or mocks or are trying to push yourself to those higher grades, feel free to ask.
I did triple science, maths, English lang, English lit, German, geography, computer science, business studies and religious studies.

How on earth did u revise for english lit!! i’m in year 11 and i have no idea how to revise for it. i would want to get a grade 7 at least but at the moment i’m getting 5 as the highest. i’ve never really been good at writing essays. i’ve tried writing out mindmaps for characters, themes etc but idk how to learn them. when i come to the exam, i never remember anything and i end up using the same 2 quotes over again. i do so badly :frown:
Reply 39
Original post by leannesmith
How on earth did u revise for english lit!! i’m in year 11 and i have no idea how to revise for it. i would want to get a grade 7 at least but at the moment i’m getting 5 as the highest. i’ve never really been good at writing essays. i’ve tried writing out mindmaps for characters, themes etc but idk how to learn them. when i come to the exam, i never remember anything and i end up using the same 2 quotes over again. i do so badly :frown:

How many quotes are you trying to learn because I find quite often people are trying to remember too many

Quick Reply

Latest