The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by philipo99
Unless you are a millionaire/billionaire you are actually shooting yourself in the foot by voting Conservative.

Really?

As someone on £70k with £200k in savings, living in Scotland why would voting Tory be shooting myself the the foot?
Original post by Quady
Really?

As someone on £70k with £200k in savings, living in Scotland why would voting Tory be shooting myself the the foot?

So, you are one of the many voters in the UK today that would see the four million kids living in poverty, 14 million people in poverty, 1.5 million food bank parcels last year alone, more on the streets than ever, a police shortage, education in crisis, NHS on it knees with a REAL possibility of privatisation under Johnson, especially if he gets his brexit?

Everything I say above is true and can be checked, so WHY would you vote for that? Also, under Corbyns plan, you would have to pay virtually nothing for those public services to be great again and for poverty to end.

If Labour do inject all that money into the nation it will help to rebuild our broken society. Look at the Attlee Government just after WWII. They said they were going to build the NHS, the Welfare system AND a million council houses. That was met by Tory politicians at the time with similar propaganda from certain newspapers calling the then labour Government, Trotsky, Commies etc etc Just like today!

Yet, they did it and the economy improved massively, even though the debt at that time was greater than after the financial crash. The money was going to all areas and sectors, not straight into the pockets of a few selected Corporations.

The Tory's have given us 10 years of austerity and where has it gotten us? By cutting every council in the country in half, cutting 20,000 police, cutting thousands of other public sector workers including prison guards, nurses, teachers and others.

They have made the many millions of the remaining public sector workers poorer. They have had their wages frozen a 1% for over 7 years!! Those workers where a lot of businesses customers, which is why so many businesses are going bust because the public sector is the largest employer in the country. By attacking it with such ferocity, they have destroyed the very fabric of the country.

It makes perfect sense to me!

I also believe that the Tory's DO want to privatise the NHS. They have made no secret of it in the past and didn't want it when labour created it! There are Tory ministers who receive money from pro privatisation company's and lobbyists. There are lots of actual statements from various ministers saying we would be better with a private health care system. Hunt wrote a book on how to dismantle the NHS!! The major problem is people don't realise that once brexit happens, we will be in a position that sees the very cash rich lobbyists coming over from the states and offering ministers 'donations' just like the rifle association, private health insurance companies and big pharma Corps do in the USA now! Why do you think they cannot get congress to change gun laws even after the sheer amount of mass shootings in America?

Once we take this path, we are stuck on it and I fear massively for my kids futures being put at risk by selfish people who do not want to pay a little extra tax!! FFS
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by philipo99
So, you are one of the many voters in the UK today that would see the four million kids living in poverty, 14 million people in poverty, 1.5 million food bank parcels last year alone, more on the streets than ever, a police shortage, education in crisis, NHS on it knees with a REAL possibility of privatisation under Johnson, especially if he gets his brexit?

Everything I say above is true and can be checked, so WHY would you vote for that? Also, under Corbyns plan, you would have to pay virtually nothing for those public services to be great again and for poverty to end.

If Labour do inject all that money into the nation it will help to rebuild our broken society. Look at the Attlee Government just after WWII. They said they were going to build the NHS, the Welfare system AND a million council houses. That was met by Tory politicians at the time with similar propaganda from certain newspapers calling the then labour Government, Trotsky, Commies etc etc Just like today!

Yet, they did it and the economy improved massively, even though the debt at that time was greater than after the financial crash. The money was going to all areas and sectors, not straight into the pockets of a few selected Corporations.

The Tory's have given us 10 years of austerity and where has it gotten us? By cutting every council in the country in half, cutting 20,000 police, cutting thousands of other public sector workers including prison guards, nurses, teachers and others.

They have made the many millions of the remaining public sector workers poorer. They have had their wages frozen a 1% for over 7 years!! Those workers where a lot of businesses customers, which is why so many businesses are going bust because the public sector is the largest employer in the country. By attacking it with such ferocity, they have destroyed the very fabric of the country.

It makes perfect sense to me!

I also believe that the Tory's DO want to privatise the NHS. They have made no secret of it in the past and didn't want it when labour created it! There are Tory ministers who receive money from pro privatisation company's and lobbyists. There are lots of actual statements from various ministers saying we would be better with a private health care system. Hunt wrote a book on how to dismantle the NHS!! The major problem is people don't realise that once brexit happens, we will be in a position that sees the very cash rich lobbyists coming over from the states and offering ministers 'donations' just like the rifle association, private health insurance companies and big pharma Corps do in the USA now! Why do you think they cannot get congress to change gun laws even after the sheer amount of mass shootings in America?

Once we take this path, we are stuck on it and I fear massively for my kids futures being put at risk by selfish people who do not want to pay a little extra tax!! FFS

I clearly pointed out I'm a voter in Scotland. How can Boris privatise then NHS? It's a devolved matter. Unless you think he'll bring NHS S Scotland back under Westminister control then privatise it?

Corbyn would provide almost no public services to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending