The Student Room Group

acne, I feel ugly

I've been suffering with acne since I was around 13, so for 5 years now, its just not going away. I would say it's quite mild/moderate, but my skin texture is just horrible too and I'm so self conscious about it, to the point where I cry about my skin and just hate how it looks. I don't remember the last time I went out with no makeup at all because I just can't bare it. I've been on Epiduo for all these years which definitely helped but I still get spots all the time.

I made the choice to stop Epiduo in around June and go on a different plan, so I started duac (clindamycin antibiotic), which cleared up EVERYTHING but this only lasted a few weeks and then it was back to breakouts.
Quite recently, I was on Differin for a month, which made my skin the worst it has EVER been, so I stopped using it 3 weeks ago. I guess I may have been purging but I was even more upset than ever, I couldn't handle it, I still have the scars and they're so bad.
I have been back on duac and Epiduo for 3 weeks, and my forehead has cleared up along with under my eye area, my cheeks a little too but now I'm getting random spots again. I just hate this repeated cycle, I cant find anything that works long term and I hate it so much. It's been so long since I've been confident in my own skin, I just dont know what to do anymore. My GP says its hormonal so will go with time but I haven't got the strength to wait any longer. He recommended me to go on oral antibiotics which I might just have to take, even though it's not ideal. Don't want to go on the pill.

I've also started to use the cerave SA cleanser for my new cleanser a week ago. I just dont know what to do.
Consider Roaccutane if you're offered it. I think I took it for 6 months and it changed my skin completely. I've hardly had any spots since I took it. My acne was mild but the spots would be big and painful and very red but they totally cleared up. Nothing else worked.
I’ve had acne (including bacne, ugh) since I was twelve. I started off with prescription creams like epiduo and duac, but wasn’t really noticing drastic differences, so levelled up to antibiotics, and then stronger antibiotics after the weaker ones failed to show any difference. I’m off antibiotics now as I wasn’t comfortable with the idea of having to take something for such a long period of time, and stronger antibiotics just did not agree with my systems at all (sickness etc). Now I just use topical antibiotic and benzoyl peroxide cream (duac) which keeps my skin in a manageable condition. Mostly I have severely scarred cheeks/chin, and only expensive cosmetological procedures will help that in the future.
My advice is don’t worry (pathetic advice, I know). And no one really gives a toss about your acne (or my acne for that matter). Once you realise this, you won’t feel the need for makeup as much. But of course if makeup makes you feel better, then go for it - just make sure to regularly clean and disinfect/sterilise everything, and use non-comedogenic makeup.
Reply 3
Original post by Precious Illusions
Consider Roaccutane if you're offered it. I think I took it for 6 months and it changed my skin completely. I've hardly had any spots since I took it. My acne was mild but the spots would be big and painful and very red but they totally cleared up. Nothing else worked.

My acne is considered mild so they won’t offer it to me, I’m not sure I want to go down that route as it could definitely be a lot worse but I’m just not happy right now :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by itscourtchicks
I’ve had acne (including bacne, ugh) since I was twelve. I started off with prescription creams like epiduo and duac, but wasn’t really noticing drastic differences, so levelled up to antibiotics, and then stronger antibiotics after the weaker ones failed to show any difference. I’m off antibiotics now as I wasn’t comfortable with the idea of having to take something for such a long period of time, and stronger antibiotics just did not agree with my systems at all (sickness etc). Now I just use topical antibiotic and benzoyl peroxide cream (duac) which keeps my skin in a manageable condition. Mostly I have severely scarred cheeks/chin, and only expensive cosmetological procedures will help that in the future.
My advice is don’t worry (pathetic advice, I know). And no one really gives a toss about your acne (or my acne for that matter). Once you realise this, you won’t feel the need for makeup as much. But of course if makeup makes you feel better, then go for it - just make sure to regularly clean and disinfect/sterilise everything, and use non-comedogenic makeup.

I hope things get better for you, and yeah I do wear makeup only to cover my spots and scars but I couldn’t do without it.
I'm still on Epiduo, and out of interest why did you stop taking it?
Reply 6
Original post by StudyBunny33
I'm still on Epiduo, and out of interest why did you stop taking it?

I felt like it did work but I'd always still get large spots and wanted to try and find a definite alternative that would just clear up everything. I regret stopping it and should have took it alongside other medication because it definitely did help, being on it for years. How you finding it?
Original post by pinkbluex
I felt like it did work but I'd always still get large spots and wanted to try and find a definite alternative that would just clear up everything. I regret stopping it and should have took it alongside other medication because it definitely did help, being on it for years. How you finding it?

I feel like its somewhat helping me actually, but like you I still have like massive spots still appearing and dry skin is also a massive problem for me from using it
Reply 8
Original post by StudyBunny33
I feel like its somewhat helping me actually, but like you I still have like massive spots still appearing and dry skin is also a massive problem for me from using it

that's good, thats mainly the reason I stopped, because I wanted to get rid of the bigger spots. the thing is, I would get less spots definitely but perhaps bigger? yeah definitely make sure you moisturise both morning & night, I used aveeno which was really delicate.
You need to consult a dermatologist. He/she is an expert in handling conditions related to skin. Dermatologist will prescribe you appropriate skin treatment.

Quick Reply

Latest