The Student Room Group

Aiming for five grade 9s

Right so my school is meh and GCSE results for 2019 wasn’t the greatest (slightly underperforming) but I really want to aim for five grade 9s at GCSE. I am currently in year 9 and I’m doing fine in all my subjects except for Chemistry, Physics and a bit of Computing, because they are the only noisy classes so little learning is done. However, I am following the correct exam board for these subjects and self study at home with books but I fear that this may not be enough to get 9s.

Any tips you guys can give? Sorry for the long message.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LN05
Right so my school is meh and GCSE results for 2019 wasn’t the greatest (slightly underperforming) but I really want to aim for five grade 9s at GCSE. I am currently in year 9 and I’m doing fine in all my subjects except for Chemistry, Physics and a bit of Computing, because they are the only noisy classes so little learning is done. However, I am following the correct exam board for these subjects and self study at home with books but I fear that this may not be enough to get 9s.

I'm in Year 11 n I'm not aiming for 5x 9s:tongue:

It's good to know what you want to achieve so far away from it but if you put in the work it will show.

You don't need to worry about what other year group's GCSE results have got because you might get new teachers that are better or worse, and still, it all depends on how one person does that affects the statistics that the school has for GCSE results.

If the classes are noisy, I would recommend trying to learn things at home or going to your teachers at breaks or lunches to try and learn things then. If you want to learn things at home, I would recommend Seneca Learning and Cliffs Notes as those two websites cover most subjects. For Science, Free Science Lessons and Primrose Kitten are also options.

Don't hesitate to ask me more questions if you need!
Reply 2
Thank you so much! How long do you think I should study every day? Also how many subjects?
(edited 4 years ago)
I would recommend that you shouldn’t start studying. Maybe only for your end of topic tests. Maybe start making notes and Flashcards on he stuff you’ve done in class.
Chill out, you’re only in Year 9.
Reply 4
Original post by GCSE_Rockstar32
I would recommend that you shouldn’t start studying. Maybe only for your end of topic tests. Maybe start making notes and Flashcards on he stuff you’ve done in class.
Chill out, you’re only in Year 9.

Meh I dunno I am really aiming for five grade 9s hehe
(edited 4 years ago)
You’re gonna get burnt out real quick 😑
Reply 6
Original post by GCSE_Rockstar32
You’re gonna get burnt out real quick 😑

That’s the thing, right now I kinda do feel burnt out but I worry that by not going all out now will leave me behind people in better schools. Yes I do go over chapters in books but is this really enough?
Reply 7
Original post by LN05

Don’t even know why you’re studying at the moment, just study for the end of topic tests and make sure you understand what you’re being taught. Other than that chill
Reply 8
Original post by ne02d
Don’t even know why you’re studying at the moment, just study for the end of topic tests and make sure you understand what you’re being taught. Other than that chill

Well okay then. Thanks for the tips guys :wink:
You don't need to worry about studying. One thing i will say, is make sure you understand and pay attention to all the content. Because it will save you time when you come to revise. When you get to yr10, start making notes as you go, and start reviewing them ocassionally but you really don't need to do anything until October of yr11
Original post by LN05
That’s the thing, right now I kinda do feel burnt out but I worry that by not going all out now will leave me behind people in better schools. Yes I do go over chapters in books but is this really enough?

Please do not get distracted by negative comments. Choosing to revise at such an early stage of your studies only shows how mature and determined you are. I am going to university next year and i can tell you that i am extremely proud of my choice of choosing to knuckle down with GCSE revision at year 10 and reading ahead of what was being taught at the moment. You will not burn out if you structure and plan a method that will allow you to balance other aspects of your life, such as social life etc... and educational studies. After all, only the very few best of the candidates sitting their GCSEs at your time will achieve a nice sweep of 9s. I am pretty sure these will have chosen the same route as yours, making academic success their main focus and avoiding unnecessary distractions at an early stage. So carry on with what you are doing, make sure you design a plan that caters for a good balance with your extra-curricular activities, and you will achieve what you are aiming for :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Babs_010
Please do not get distracted by negative comments. Choosing to revise at such an early stage of your studies only shows how mature and determined you are. I am going to university next year and i can tell you that i am extremely proud of my choice of choosing to knuckle down with GCSE revision at year 10 and reading ahead of what was being taught at the moment. You will not burn out if you structure and plan a method that will allow you to balance other aspects of your life, such as social life etc... and educational studies. After all, only the very few best of the candidates sitting their GCSEs at your time will achieve a nice sweep of 9s. I am pretty sure these will have chosen the same route as yours, making academic success their main focus and avoiding unnecessary distractions at an early stage. So carry on with what you are doing, make sure you design a plan that caters for a good balance with your extra-curricular activities, and you will achieve what you are aiming for :smile:

Wow these words mean a lot and appreciate you for advising me. Thank you :smile:
Original post by LN05
Wow these words mean a lot and appreciate you for advising me. Thank you :smile:

Sheer pleasure. Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by Babs_010
Sheer pleasure. Good luck!

Good luck in uni too👌:smile:
just out of interest, what grade do you want for each subject? :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by cool_cool
just out of interest, what grade do you want for each subject? :wink:

Maths, Music, History, Chemistry, Biology/Business (depends how well i get on)

maths and music are less stress because i’m goo at them and enjoy. The others i’m also good but at the moment i’m just getting 7 and 8.

thanks for asking :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by LN05
Meh I dunno I am really aiming for five grade 9s hehe

Hello!
I am aiming to leave secondary school with at least 7 9s - any more the merrier. I would not condone excessive revision so early on, I understand your eagerness to achieve highly (which is very impressive!), however, what you can do now is build up HEALTHY revision habits and understand the concepts early on.
I don't wish to iterate the points said early on, but please do heed them!
Original post by LN05
Maths, Music, History, Chemistry, Biology/Business (depends how well i get on)

maths and music are less stress because i’m goo at them and enjoy. The others i’m also good but at the moment i’m just getting 7 and 8.

thanks for asking :smile:

Well, I wish you the best of luck! if you need any help with history, just message me because it's one of my stronger points :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by cool_cool
Well, I wish you the best of luck! if you need any help with history, just message me because it's one of my stronger points :smile:

Thanks! Have you been doing Edexcel?
Reply 19
Original post by ayushquettic
Hello!
I am aiming to leave secondary school with at least 7 9s - any more the merrier. I would not condone excessive revision so early on, I understand your eagerness to achieve highly (which is very impressive!), however, what you can do now is build up HEALTHY revision habits and understand the concepts early on.
I don't wish to iterate the points said early on, but please do heed them!

By healthy habits, you mean like short and regular revisions?

If so what do you suggest? :smile:thanks

Quick Reply

Latest