The Student Room Group

Turnitin Word Count

Help!

I have just recently submitted an assigment via turnitin and I am just within the 10% above my word limit (which is ok) BUT I have been googling turnitin word count and it says turnitin counts URLs as separate words but an actual word document counts it as one word. I did not know this! I’ve been going off of the word document and I have about 4 words before I am over and get a penalty but I did not know aboit URLs being counted separately on turnitin as this would mean I am over!! Is this true? I have emailed my lecturer and explained the situation but I have no idea what he will say he will probably still apply the penalty. Help! Does turnitin really count URL as separate words?

Scroll to see replies

I’m pretty sure your bibliography as a whole wouldn’t count in your word count.

Hasn’t at either of my Unis
Original post by Anonymous
Help!

I have just recently submitted an assigment via turnitin and I am just within the 10% above my word limit (which is ok) BUT I have been googling turnitin word count and it says turnitin counts URLs as separate words but an actual word document counts it as one word. I did not know this! I’ve been going off of the word document and I have about 4 words before I am over and get a penalty but I did not know aboit URLs being counted separately on turnitin as this would mean I am over!! Is this true? I have emailed my lecturer and explained the situation but I have no idea what he will say he will probably still apply the penalty. Help! Does turnitin really count URL as separate words?

You don't need to panic. It's a trifle. Insert the word count alongside the header in your assignment (alongside your student number, probably) - the discrepancy between the Turnitin word count and the 'Word' word count will be obvious now you've emailed your lecturer about it.

As @CTLeafez says, the URLs are probably in the reference list and therefore won't even count towards the word count!
Reply 3
Original post by CTLeafez

He’s a really awkward lecturer and he’s including references within the word count 😩
He’s a really awkward lecturer and he’s including references within the word count 😩

Are you not allowed to resubmit? Or has the deadline passed now?

Are you sure your lecturer doesn’t mean in-text citations eg.

‘As reported by Levers et al. (2019), TSR is a great place for finding University related information.’
Reply 6
Are you sure your lecturer doesn’t mean in-text citations eg.

‘As reported by Levers et al. (2019), TSR is a great place for finding University related information.’

Ooh I’m not sure actually. I’ve just emailed him. I really hope he replies soon and doesn’t penalise me!
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
You don't need to panic. It's a trifle. Insert the word count alongside the header in your assignment (alongside your student number, probably) - the discrepancy between the Turnitin word count and the 'Word' word count will be obvious now you've emailed your lecturer about it.

As @CTLeafez says, the URLs are probably in the reference list and therefore won't even count towards the word count!

I really hope so! He’s just so awkward even asking him a question he won’t reply clearly so I doubt he’ll be nice enough to even let me off, he said references are included in the word count the last time I emailed him, I just hope he realises it’s a genuine mistake 😩
Reply 8
Original post by MidgetFever
Are you not allowed to resubmit? Or has the deadline passed now?

The deadline has passed now so it’s too late 😭
I really hope so! He’s just so awkward even asking him a question he won’t reply clearly so I doubt he’ll be nice enough to even let me off, he said references are included in the word count the last time I emailed him, I just hope he realises it’s a genuine mistake 😩

Seriously - I'm sure it'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
Seriously - I'm sure it'll be fine :smile:

I really hope I am just stressing unnecessarily lol
Ooh I’m not sure actually. I’ve just emailed him. I really hope he replies soon and doesn’t penalise me!

I'm pretty sure he means in-text citations, otherwise half (or more) of the word count wouldn't be essay.

Try to calm down now, as there's nothing you can do now anyway if the deadline has passed.
Guys! My lecturer replied and my word count is fine thank God!!

It sounds like you need to chill a bit. A storm in a tea cup springs to mind.
Reply 14

Does at both places I've worked, and both go off the Turnitin wordcount, too
Original post by adam271
It sounds like you need to chill a bit. A storm in a tea cup springs to mind.

lol a tea cup is definitely something I need

Told you so :smile: Good.
Original post by gjd800
Does at both places I've worked, and both go off the Turnitin wordcount, too

That’s strange, essentially penalised for referencing thoroughly
Reply 18
That’s strange, essentially penalised for referencing thoroughly

There is a method to the madness

it is supposed to stop students relying on quotations and overciting, instead engaging closely with fewer refs and developing their own argument

Works for some of us (definitely did for me, my PhD thesis had fewer than 100 references) but not all.
I have gone over my 750 word limit by 20-30 words sometimes.. nobody seems to care. Plus I think the bigger the word limit, the more lenient it becomes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending