The Student Room Group

People who put in no effort - A levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ectover_
True but surely at this point you’d expect grown year 13s to know when the time for content is and when the suitable time for questions is without the need of somebody telling them.

:laugh: some of them don't know this at first year undergrad, and that's with a gap yah under their belts!
Reply 41
Original post by safia.2002
In every single class there are some studenta who put in their 100% and some who don't . not everyone has that much time to do all the pre reading - you see unlike you we have a life . I don't do pre reading all the time . sometimes i come into class and i have no idea whats going yet I get straight A's. Not everyone is like you . I don't like how you put it as if you're superior to them .

So if I pre-read before a lessons I have no life?

No.....Don't insult people who pre-read/do extensive studying. I use my spare time wisely, which involes pre-reading before lessons so I have a better grip on the part of the subject i'm studying in lesson. Saying "we have a life" is just you telling us your too lazy to study in your spare/free time or don't have the skills to manage your spare time to dedicate hours to pre-reading/extra study.
op needs to chill.
sixth form can be boring - people want to have fun.
a lot of people struggle with independent learning because of motivational issues and stuff. and a lot of people can't pay attention and are disruptive because they have attention problems like adhd.
i don't pre-read because I don't have the motivation or the attention span or the time so the teacher going through it is the only way i can learn it. people like you expecting everyone to spend as much time as you do on stuff is definitely being unreasonable.
just chill a little bit
Reply 43
I did sod all for my a levels, preferred being in the pub and gigging in bands
God forbid you ever have to do group projects at uni, you're going to have to get used to it. :lol:
Don’t expect the lesson to be centrered around you. That’s just plain arrogant, even though I’m guessing you don’t intend to be one.
If your teacher had to adjust lessons for people in your class who aren’t as advanced as you are in their studies, then you need to be the one to keep up your own hard work and continue your own studies. If you’re stuck or anything then seek help from your teacher privately.
If fellow students ask you for help then help them and consider it as a revision instead them dragging you down.
Being an arrogant lone wolf fool won’t get you far in life no matter how smart you are. I can tell you that as someone been in the workforce for almost a decade and meet some idiots who never learnt that. No one in the adult world likes these people and you don’t want people to isolate you.
Original post by _gcx
I really don't think this is a fair comment.

I don't why negative attitudes towards academics/learning are basically normalised nowadays and people with positive attitudes made fun of...

They dont have a positive attitude though.
Original post by 999tigger
They dont have a positive attitude though.

eh i'd disagree in the sense that they seem motivated and interested, which is above and beyond most a-level students...
Original post by CyrusW
So if I pre-read before a lessons I have no life?

No.....Don't insult people who pre-read/do extensive studying. I use my spare time wisely, which involes pre-reading before lessons so I have a better grip on the part of the subject i'm studying in lesson. Saying "we have a life" is just you telling us your too lazy to study in your spare/free time or don't have the skills to manage your spare time to dedicate hours to pre-reading/extra study.

Pre reading is pretty much useless . stopped doing it in year 12 . I wouldn't say I'm lazy because I go over the text book without writing notes .Pre reading is just copy and pasting . Majority of students mindlessly copy and you're most likely one of them - copying out the whole text book WITHOUT A LIFE. I should probably calm down .
Original post by safia.2002
Pre reading is pretty much useless . stopped doing it in year 12 . I wouldn't say I'm lazy because I go over the text book without writing notes .Pre reading is just copy and pasting . Majority of students mindlessly copy and you're most likely one of them - copying out the whole text book WITHOUT A LIFE. I should probably calm down .

It's not really pre-reading if you copy it down without understanding. If the OP did that, they wouldn't understand the content themselves and so probably wouldn't complain about other people not knowing it...

Though I think at the point of pre-reading, you might as well self-teach the course and use lessons as a chance to validate/check your knowledge.
Original post by chem.queenp
What exactly do you mean ?! Are you trying to say not everyone is able to pre-read ? LOL

Someone else has already mentioned that people could have learning difficulties and so struggle more but as well as that there are so many things people could be going through that mean they don't pre-read or prepare. They could have had a rough week, a death in the family, not been very well, etc. Personally I struggle a LOT with my mental health and fall behind with work sometimes because getting out of bed can be difficult let alone doing work. Having seen your previous replies I imagine you'd say something like 'well I have problems too but I manage' and I'd urge you to remember that not everyone has the same resilience, capacity to manage stress or the same support system as you. The education system can be so so difficult for lots of people. Try to have a little empathy. You're obviously very intelligent and hard-working so I don't imagine having a few people in your class who aren't as fortunate as you will hold you back too much. To answer your original post, yes it would annoy me if people were deliberately, consistently holding up the class - but I imagine this is the minority of cases.
Original post by chem.queenp
What exactly do you mean ?! Are you trying to say not everyone is able to pre-read ? LOL

if they dont understand the work through pre-reading are they not allowed to ask the teacher to teach it to them? After all the teachers there and getting paid to teach
Reply 52
Original post by Zeeshan16
if they dont understand the work through pre-reading are they not allowed to ask the teacher to teach it to them? After all the teachers there and getting paid to teach

Post edited automatically

Quick Reply

Latest