The Student Room Group

University choices too high?

I was just wondering if I was shooting too high due to my results and predicted grades compared to my choices?

I have an A in History and a C in politics and am predicted a C in sociology though hope to aim much higher, as well as a B in EPQ.

I am applying for Cardiff University, Royal Holloway, Bristol, Birmingham and Warwick (though two of them are really high aspirations).

I was wondering if I would get any offers at all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by klopp
UR vexed cause im smarter than you

No offence man but I'd just like a nice educated response.
Original post by Harold_G
I was just wondering if I was shooting too high due to my results and predicted grades compared to my choices?

I have an A in History and a C in politics and am predicted a C in sociology though hope to aim much higher, as well as a B in EPQ.

I am applying for Cardiff University, Royal Holloway, Bristol, Birmingham and Warwick (though two of them are really high aspirations).

I was wondering if I would get any offers at all?

yeah a little bit tbh. but i reckon you could still get some BBB conditional offers. look at Oxford Brookes and Nottingham Trent.

Beautifully done :smile:

I'm a bit confused as to which grades you've already achieved and which you've yet to take and are predictions. Can you clarify?
Original post by klopp
UR vexed cause im smarter than you

You don’t know me personally 😂 but if that statement your chucking out makes u feel happier then I’m not one to stand infront of your happiness
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
Beautifully done :smile:

I'm a bit confused as to which grades you've already achieved and which you've yet to take and are predictions. Can you clarify?

Thank you :smile:

So I have already achieved an A in History and is what I am applying for at all of the Universities as well as a C in politics. I am currently doing Sociology and EPQ but I am getting consistent grades of around A/B. The only problem with it all now is the fact that I have already sent my UCAS application off at the urgency of my personal tutor. I'm now thinking is there literally any chance of me getting offers from any of my chosen universities?

And sure klopp can PM me if he she it has more to say

So I have already achieved an A in History and is what I am applying for at all of the Universities as well as a C in politics. I am currently doing Sociology and EPQ but I am getting consistent grades of around A/B. The only problem with it all now is the fact that I have already sent my UCAS application off at the urgency of my personal tutor. I'm now thinking is there literally any chance of me getting offers from any of my chosen universities?

You seem smart , have u applied to Russell group unis make sure u do bcoz ur too intelligent for the lower ranked ones

Ah, OK. It's very naughty of tutors to hurry you along like this - there really is no need to do so. Was there a reason why you only took two A levels initially, and are doing the third and the EPQ later? I only ask because most unis like to see three A levels, taken in the same sitting unless there are some unusual or extenuating reasons why you weren't able to take all three together.

There is usually less leniency shown towards achieved, rather than predicted grades. So the A in history is, obviously, super - and the C isn't fatal. I think it would have been much better for the sociology to have been predicted at B rather than C, but what's done is done. I think the important question here is the question of not having sat all three together.
Reply 9
Ah, OK. It's very naughty of tutors to hurry you along like this - there really is no need to do so. Was there a reason why you only took two A levels initially, and are doing the third and the EPQ later? I only ask because most unis like to see three A levels, taken in the same sitting unless there are some unusual or extenuating reasons why you weren't able to take all three together.

There is usually less leniency shown towards achieved, rather than predicted grades. So the A in history is, obviously, super - and the C isn't fatal. I think it would have been much better for the sociology to have been predicted at B rather than C, but what's done is done. I think the important question here is the question of not having sat all three together.

Unfortunately I wasn't entirely focused at GCSE and so didn't gain as many as I had hoped or needed and so had to take some more at college which meant I could only do two A levels in my first year rather than 3 and then took a third in my second year. I do however believe that my application is still to be reviewed by the college and so I may be able to turn the C into an B, though they have been persistent in denying me that option.
Reply 10
Original post by Alina2019
You seem smart , have u applied to Russell group unis make sure u do bcoz ur too intelligent for the lower ranked ones

I have actually applied for four which I now believe to be beyond what I am capable of.
Unfortunately I wasn't entirely focused at GCSE and so didn't gain as many as I had hoped or needed and so had to take some more at college which meant I could only do two A levels in my first year rather than 3 and then took a third in my second year. I do however believe that my application is still to be reviewed by the college and so I may be able to turn the C into an B, though they have been persistent in denying me that option.

I see.

In that case, I'd advise really convincing them to change your C prediction into a B to maximise your chances of receiving offers. I'd also double check with your choices that they are willing to accept this pattern of study, particularly because there aren't any 'extenuating circumstances' to take into account.
Reply 12
I see.

In that case, I'd advise really convincing them to change your C prediction into a B to maximise your chances of receiving offers. I'd also double check with your choices that they are willing to accept this pattern of study, particularly because there aren't any 'extenuating circumstances' to take into account.

I'll have to see about them changing the predicted grade though it may result in begging :frown: thank you for the answer!
I'll have to see about them changing the predicted grade though it may result in begging :frown: thank you for the answer!

Well, good luck with it. But do contact your unis about the study pattern, as I think that's the thing that will immediately stand out in your application without any sort of explanation.

I wouldn't necessarily ask them to change it; if you get an offer because of it and then only receive the C you were initially expected you'll be stuck on results day.

You might be aiming too high, but it depends what you're applying for in all honesty. Bristol is incredibly tough, and accomodation is very expensive.
Reply 15
Original post by ProbablyPallas
I wouldn't necessarily ask them to change it; if you get an offer because of it and then only receive the C you were initially expected you'll be stuck on results day.

You might be aiming too high, but it depends what you're applying for in all honesty. Bristol is incredibly tough, and accomodation is very expensive.

Do you know whether Cardiff would be tough? To be honest that would be my preferred choice.
Do you know whether Cardiff would be tough? To be honest that would be my preferred ch

I suspect Cardiff will make you an offer but it will be based on their entry grades but will probably accept you on results day with ACC and a B In EPQ. I think you have a good chance at Royal Holloway. Doubtful about the others. I would suggest changing 1 to somewhere else to give you a better insurance. As you are looking at Cardiff would Swansea be an option.
Do you know whether Cardiff would be tough? To be honest that would be my preferred choice.

What course do you want to do? Look at the entry requirements and then application/accepted ratio.
Reply 18
Original post by ProbablyPallas
What course do you want to do? Look at the entry requirements and then application/accepted ratio.

I wanted to do Modern Politics and History with entry requirements of ABB-BBB with 500 spaces and 3000 applicants.
Reply 19
Original post by swanseajack1
I suspect Cardiff will make you an offer but it will be based on their entry grades but will probably accept you on results day with ACC and a B In EPQ. I think you have a good chance at Royal Holloway. Doubtful about the others. I would suggest changing 1 to somewhere else to give you a better insurance. As you are looking at Cardiff would Swansea be an option.

I was definitely thinking Swansea and so if I am able to change my application I may just add Swansea in there for better insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending