The Student Room Group

NEA Fall of Tsarism AQA coursework HELP! finding historians

Hi guys,

The question I'm doing is:

'The collapse of Russian Tsarism was a result of inadequacies at the heart of government between 1825–1917.' Access the validity of this view.

I need to find 2 historians for this, one that agrees and one that disagrees. I have been looking at Richard Pipes and it seems like he agrees with this and suggests that if only Nicholas II reformed autocarcy he would've gained the support of the intelligentsia (well that what I got out of him). Similarly, Orlando Figes also says that autocracy and the government was a long term reason for the fall of Tsarism.

So what I'm finding hard is to find a historian and a text that disagrees with this view.

I'd be really thankful for anyone who has any tips on finding free online interpretations or books to find views against this view also any specific historians that will be useful for my coursework.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Anyone?????
Original post by Zahra_2001
Hi guys,

The question I'm doing is:

'The collapse of Russian Tsarism was a result of inadequacies at the heart of government between 1825–1917.' Access the validity of this view.

I need to find 2 historians for this, one that agrees and one that disagrees. I have been looking at Richard Pipes and it seems like he agrees with this and suggests that if only Nicholas II reformed autocarcy he would've gained the support of the intelligentsia (well that what I got out of him). Similarly, Orlando Figes also says that autocracy and the government was a long term reason for the fall of Tsarism.

So what I'm finding hard is to find a historian and a text that disagrees with this view.

I'd be really thankful for anyone who has any tips on finding free online interpretations or books to find views against this view also any specific historians that will be useful for my coursework.

Thanks in advance.

thomas.jpg
Reply 3
Original post by orushbrook
thomas.jpg

XD and I got excited thinking someone finally replied to my question as even my teacher is taking her time replying to my email....
Well I don’t have my old A level books anymore but I did this as the “special subject in history”
From what I can find
Dominic Lieven- Nicholas wasn’t a hapless fool and was resistant to change to preserve autocracy for his descendants, calling him a fool places too much emphasis on a single individual.

James D White. As workers began to express their grievances, other classes began to step forward to represent own interests, such as soldiers who were desperate not to be sent to fight for a losing war effort.
Acton (same area of relevance) rev was not centrally organised but consciously willed by collective grievances.

Hope this helps

I did 1905-1930 ish btw
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm also doing the collapse of Tsarism for coursework too. You can use Abraham Ascher for war, Sheila Fitzgerald for opposition. There is also Isabella de Madariaga and Paul Bushkovitch. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Kryptonitekid43
Well I don’t have my old A level books anymore but I did this as the “special subject in history”
From what I can find
Dominic Lieven- Nicholas wasn’t a hapless fool and was resistant to change to preserve autocracy for his descendants, calling him a fool places too much emphasis on a single individual.

James D White. As workers began to express their grievances, other classes began to step forward to represent own interests, such as soldiers who were desperate not to be sent to fight for a losing war effort.
Acton (same area of relevance) rev was not centrally organised but consciously willed by collective grievances.

Hope this helps

I did 1905-1930 ish btw

Original post by eden_rose
I'm also doing the collapse of Tsarism for coursework too. You can use Abraham Ascher for war, Sheila Fitzgerald for opposition. There is also Isabella de Madariaga and Paul Bushkovitch. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks a lot! This will be helpful. But do you guys know where I could find their writings and interpretations online for free?
Original post by Zahra_2001
Thanks a lot! This will be helpful. But do you guys know where I could find their writings and interpretations online for free?

Uhhhh, try Jstor?
Reply 8
thx!

Original post by Kryptonitekid43
Uhhhh, try Jstor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending