The Student Room Group

Anyone who is not an English nationalist should vote Labour

An English electorate blindly voting Tory and forcing their government on Scotland has a very high chance of destroying the UK swiftly. Scotland followed by NI. People in England are politically myopic and seemingly oblivious or unconcerned about this.

I should rephrase the title more accurately, anyone who cares about preserving the UK should DEFINITELY not vote Tory. That is paramount.

I just ask anyone who cares about the UK, and doesn't want to be left alone as just England, to think very carefully what they do this election. The only way to keep the union is to display to the Scots we are capable of voting progressively and for change.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The day Scotland becomes the most important issue in my list of reasons to vote for a party is the day I'll vote for the Church of the Militant Elvis, because my life will be so empty by then that I'll see no alternative.
Reply 2
I'm curious, what makes you think you're right and everyone else is simply a dull-witted buffoon?
Original post by Agentsnace
Yet you yourself are creating division by saying "If you do not do this, the world will end."
Why not encourage people to research for themselves instead of telling them who to vote for like blind sheep?
Why is being a nationalist a bad thing? I encourage you to research nationalism and what it actually is.
The Union has been a thing for centuries, this country has gone through a multitude of constitutional crises - in my opinion the Union is not threatened, though of course, others will disagree with good reason.

Don't take me too literally. It was more about the general point. People should not underestimate how much a Tory vote could facilitate imminent destruction of the union. They are hated in Scotland, that is the side and tendency of England that Scots most dislike. Never mind the DUP(they've rejected Boris anyhow) but if Scotland goes there is no union.
Original post by Neilos
The day Scotland becomes the most important issue in my list of reasons to vote for a party is the day I'll vote for the Church of the Militant Elvis, because my life will be so empty by then that I'll see no alternative.

So you don't care about the union at all?
English nationalists who would be happy to live under endless Tory rule with the union dead. In a deluded 51st state lapdog, too. I expected to find them. You people would create the most hellush narrow minded country. If anything could make me a remainer it's English Tories.
Couldn’t care less. I’d rather they stayed but if they want to go they will be worse off (in my opinion).

This is less certain for N.Ireland but you should not vote labour because of this.
Original post by SteveyStack
Couldn’t care less. I’d rather they stayed but if they want to go they will be worse off (in my opinion).

This is less certain for N.Ireland but you should not vote labour because of this.

They won't be worse off than Tory governments because they bleed all money to London. NI will inevitably follow them out of the Union. Being British by heritage and a Tory hater, I find an independent England with Tory English electorate a hellish prospect.
Reply 9
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
So you don't care about the union at all?

Making sucking up to left-wing Scottish people the primary reason for casting my vote =/= caring about the union.
Original post by Neilos
Making sucking up to left-wing Scottish people the primary reason for casting my vote =/= caring about the union.

It's not sticking up, it's preserving the union by not voting for regressive horsedung. Many of the English don't have the intellect or curiosity not to vote for reactionary, regressive horsedung. The success of their patrician masters in manipulating them and their votes depends heavily on anti-intellectualism, has done historically and is doing so to a tragic degree right now. More politically progressive people will choose a different direction and choose the rest of humanity, in this case Europe.
Thats your framing of it. I'm talking about objective evidence that England is politically to the right of the whole of Europe on many many issues. I'm talking about where I am on spectrum as regards Europe and England. Even the Americans are progressive in certain ways England can't embrace. I never said I was above everyone, I said I am not politically allied to Tories in England, I share more in common with Europe, Ireland, Scotland who are more progressive. Its England that is politically anomolous, and I even feel more in common with Americans as regards class issues and egalitarianism. England in general is just very Conservative, anti intellectual culture. And people from this ilk display the same smugness towards the rest of the planet who it seems to be taken as a given, never with an argument required, why they are better and nothing needs to change.its just a type if English Conservative thought I cant stand.
Original post by Napp
I'm curious, what makes you think you're right and everyone else is simply a dull-witted buffoon?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Thats your framing of it. I'm talking about objective evidence that England is politically to the right of the whole of Europe on many many issues. I'm talking about where I am on spectrum as regards Europe and England. Even the Americans are progressive in certain ways England can't embrace. I never said I was above everyone, I said I am not politically allied to Tories in England, I share more in common with Europe, Ireland, Scotland who are more progressive. Its England that is politically anomolous, and I even feel more in common with Americans as regards class issues and egalitarianism. England in general is just very Conservative, anti intellectual culture. And people from this ilk display the same smugness towards the rest of the planet who it seems to be taken as a given, never with an argument required, why they are better and nothing needs to change.its just a type if English Conservative thought I cant stand.

No thats how you framed it? You cant present your opinion as being fact without ipso facto saying everyone else is wrong...

Pray tell in what regard the US is progressive vis-a-vis Britain though? Equally how England is 'anti intellectual' ? I mean just to scratch the surface of that comment that fact England holds some of the worlds best universities would seem to fly in the face of your sentiments.

And what type of this? As you seem to have just attempted to generalise tens of millions of people through a rather bizarre rant about them being evil conservatives, again, something basic maths would tell you is categorically wrong.
Original post by Napp
No thats how you framed it? You cant present your opinion as being fact without ipso facto saying everyone else is wrong...

Pray tell in what regard the US is progressive vis-a-vis Britain though? Equally how England is 'anti intellectual' ? I mean just to scratch the surface of that comment that fact England holds some of the worlds best universities would seem to fly in the face of your sentiments.

And what type of this? As you seem to have just attempted to generalise tens of millions of people through a rather bizarre rant about them being evil conservatives, again, something basic maths would tell you is categorically wrong.

The first bit, youre being pedantic, let's get to the other stuff. The US was the most revolutionary country, it is inherently less Conservative than England. Hence why English people care so much about the minutae of class distinctions, while America is doing things like pushing through groundbreaking tech. England is 'empiricist' to be complementary, relying on tradition even when we have dysfunction and change is needed. Anti intellectualism has been relied upon to keep people Conservative and under the thumb of the establishment and people who own swathes of land. Its ingrained, there has been no revolution in 800yrs and this is a political anomaly. It does have great Universities but they rely on overseas talent and have antiquated class rituals. They discriminate in favour of private schools massively. But I'm talking about the intellectualism and political engagement across the whole populace, not top unis. I didn't generalise millions, nor use no evidence, England is, over the whole population averaged, more Conservative and right leaning than anywhere in Europe.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
The first bit, youre being pedantic, let's get to the other stuff. The US was the most revolutionary country, it is inherently less Conservative than England. Hence why English people care so much about the minutae of class distinctions, while America is doing things like pushing through groundbreaking tech. England is 'empiricist' to be complementary, relying on tradition even when we have dysfunction and change is needed. Anti intellectualism has been relied upon to keep people Conservative and under the thumb of the establishment and people who own swathes of land. Its ingrained, there has been no revolution in 800yrs and this is a political anomaly. It does have great Universities but they rely on overseas talent and have antiquated class rituals. They discriminate in favour of private schools massively. But I'm talking about the intellectualism and political engagement across the whole populace, not top unis. I didn't generalise millions, nor use no evidence, England is, over the whole population averaged, more Conservative and right leaning than anywhere in Europe.

If you call pointing out you denying your own words, well, guilty as charged.
If you think that the fact America has a booming tech industry makes it 'less conservative' then i suggest you have a much deeper look at your basis of facts. Nevermind the rather odd comment about it being 'revolutionary', maybe a few centuries ago but not now. Note how it is trying to maintain its empire?

I do wish youd stop uttering these ridiculous sound bites with no qualification.

Uhuh and what is this 'evidence' you claim to have?

You literally just did generalise them, then did it again :lol:

Anywhere in Europe aye? And what basis do you have for such a claim?
Original post by Napp
If you call pointing out you denying your own words, well, guilty as charged.
If you think that the fact America has a booming tech industry makes it 'less conservative' then i suggest you have a much deeper look at your basis of facts. Nevermind the rather odd comment about it being 'revolutionary', maybe a few centuries ago but not now. Note how it is trying to maintain its empire?

I do wish youd stop uttering these ridiculous sound bites with no qualification.

Uhuh and what is this 'evidence' you claim to have?

You literally just did generalise them, then did it again :lol:

Anywhere in Europe aye? And what basis do you have for such a claim?

I keep telling you, the most unequal economy and class and education system in Europe by a mile, and a gullible populace of working class Tories brainwashed by Maxwell, Dacre and Murdoch. It is clearly the most right leaning, economically speaking, and Conservative (no revolution in 800yrs)in Europe. But what a surprise that the same smug reinforces of the status quo always say on here that we have no problem, shouldn't look to Europe or anywhere, and that ACTUALLY we are really progressive.
Reply 16
I keep telling you, the most unequal economy and class and education system in Europe by a mile, and a gullible populace of working class Tories brainwashed by Maxwell, Dacre and Murdoch. It is clearly the most right leaning, economically speaking, and Conservative (no revolution in 800yrs)in Europe. But what a surprise that the same smug reinforces of the status quo always say on here that we have no problem, shouldn't look to Europe or anywhere, and that ACTUALLY we are really progressive.

I'm still waiting for evidence as opposed to your opinion on the matter...
Equally, no revolution does not equal 'conservative'.
Well you're more than entitled to bugger off somewhere else to carry on your incessant complaining if you find TSR and the UK far to draconian for your tastes.
uhhhhh no. Rather not give the SNP power.
If we haven't had a revolution in 800 years, surely it means we're doing something right rather than wrong.
They are hated in Scotland, that is the side and tendency of England that Scots most dislike.

Currently they are the second largest party in scotland behind the SNP (westminster seats). 29% of scots voted for them in the last election, electing 12 MPs, double that of Labour.

But yes, all of scotland hates them...

---

If the voteshare in scotland warrents indipendance than London has a much bigger claim.. Proportionally The torries do much worse there seat wise. They clearly hate the torries more than Scotland does.

Also the majority of scots don't want indipendance, and are happy as part of the UK. Even despite having majority tory-rule for the past 100 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending