The Student Room Group

Is 3.6 a normal blood sugar level?

Title

Scroll to see replies

If you are a diabetic in the UK then it’s a little low. Maybe have a slice of toast or something small to keep in range (4-7).
Original post by Anonymous
Title

Low blood sugar is considered anything below a reading of 4mmol/L. Are you a diabetic? Is this a regular occurrence of having low blood sugars? I would advise eating a sugary snack if this happens again, and if you're worried have a chat with your GP.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/low-blood-sugar-hypoglycaemia/
The fact that you have the ability to check suggests to me that you already know the answer to the question.
Yes. That’s considered a hypo if you’re diabetic.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
The fact that you have the ability to check suggests to me that you already know the answer to the question.

Lovely :smile:
Reply 6
I’m not diabetic, a person on TSR told me they are healthy and they get a reading of 3.6 too.
Reply 7
Why is the person saying they feel fine when it goes down to 3? I don’t feel fine if it’s that low.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Hazzabear
Low blood sugar is considered anything below a reading of 4mmol/L. Are you a diabetic? Is this a regular occurrence of having low blood sugars? I would advise eating a sugary snack if this happens again, and if you're worried have a chat with your GP.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/low-blood-sugar-hypoglycaemia/

Not diabetic, could be because after having one sugary sweet (glucose sweet) and carb meal it goes up to 11.7. Yes it’s a regular reading after I wake up from sleep.
Not diabetic, could be because after having one sugary sweet (glucose sweet) and carb meal it goes up to 11.7. Yes it’s a regular reading after I wake up from sleep.

Have you gone to your GP about this?
Yes. That’s considered a hypo if you’re diabetic.

Not just for a diabetic, it's a hypoglycemia episode that anybody can have.

If your blood sugar goes that high after food, you need to see a doctor. Sorry for the bad news.
Diabetes doesn’t cause low blood sugar.

3.6 can be be seen in normal healthy people pre-meal.

It also doesn’t mean you have RSS.
How do you even have access to a blood sugar machine? 11.7 is high. You need to visit your gp. You may be at high risk of getting diabetes.
Original post by FingersXed84
If your blood sugar goes that high after food, you need to see a doctor. Sorry for the bad news.

Why is that considered bad news?
How do you even have access to a blood sugar machine? 11.7 is high. You need to visit your gp. You may be at high risk of getting diabetes.

She has a relative who is diabetic. Though it's pretty easy to buy one, they are not very expensive.

Also, 11.7 straight after a meal is not high...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by black tea
She has a relative who is diabetic. Though it's pretty easy to buy one, they are not very expensive.

Also, 11.7 straight after a meal is not high...

It definitely is. It shouldn’t be like that for a non diabetic. That’s basically 12 and 12 for a non diabetic is out of the ordinary and certainly is high.
Original post by Etomidate
Diabetes doesn’t cause low blood sugar.

3.6 can be be seen in normal healthy people pre-meal.

It also doesn’t mean you have RSS.

Well you don’t know me personally and if you saw my face you would see it’s round like a triangle and I look different to everyone else. All symptoms of RSS fit with me and would explain why I am not growing beyond 4 ft 7, that’s not normal for an 18 year old
It definitely is. It shouldn’t be like that for a non diabetic. That’s basically 12 and 12 for a non diabetic is out of the ordinary and certainly is high.

It takes some time for insulin to work and for blood sugar to go down to normal levels after a meal.

Well you don’t know me personally and if you saw my face you would see it’s round like a triangle and I look different to everyone else.

This doesn't even make sense...
It takes some time for insulin to work and for blood sugar to go down to normal levels after a meal.

This doesn't even make sense...

Straight after a meal? Maybe 10 mins after eating an extremely high carb meal but straight after is concerning

Quick Reply

Latest