The Student Room Group

Teacher Training: eligibility for Childcare Grant

Hi,

I'm a UK resident looking to start on a Teacher Training course in September 2020. I have two children under the age of 3 and we live in London. I am currently working part-time.

Our childcare costs are £1,800 a month (ridiculous but the cheapest option available in our area!), so I really need the Childcare Grant to cover some of this to even be thinking about becoming a Maths Teacher.

My husband's salary covers the bills and mine covers the childcare costs. Although he is well paid we have an astronomically large mortgage. We have no spare cash after our expenses. What are the thresholds that the Childcare Grant have in place?

Anyone else struggled with this? Surely this would be a blocker for most career-changers based in London. I've even considered moving out of London- but it's my home :frown:

Kind Regards,
Charlotte
Original post by CharlotteM2019
Hi,

I'm a UK resident looking to start on a Teacher Training course in September 2020. I have two children under the age of 3 and we live in London. I am currently working part-time.

Our childcare costs are £1,800 a month (ridiculous but the cheapest option available in our area!), so I really need the Childcare Grant to cover some of this to even be thinking about becoming a Maths Teacher.

My husband's salary covers the bills and mine covers the childcare costs. Although he is well paid we have an astronomically large mortgage. We have no spare cash after our expenses. What are the thresholds that the Childcare Grant have in place?

Anyone else struggled with this? Surely this would be a blocker for most career-changers based in London. I've even considered moving out of London- but it's my home :frown:

Kind Regards,
Charlotte

Hi Charlotte,

Do you know an estimate as to what your husband earned in the 18/19 tax year?

Regards, Duncan
Hi Duncan, it was over £100,000 (including bonus).
Original post by CharlotteM2019
Hi Duncan, it was over £100,000 (including bonus).

Thanks for confirming this Charlotte. Your household income will be to high to receive the childcare grant unfortunately.

Regards, Duncan
Original post by Duncan SFE
Thanks for confirming this Charlotte. Your household income will be to high to receive the childcare grant unfortunately.

Regards, Duncan

Ok, thanks Duncan.
You're welcome Charlotte. If you have any further queries do let us know. Regards, Aisha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending