The Student Room Group

Course choice

Help i want to work in the electric vehicle industry and idk whether to study ‘electrical and electronic engineering’ or ‘mechanical and electrical engineering’ at university
Personally I wouldn't do a joint engineering degree as you won't be taught the same amount of content than in a single engineering course. It's like being the jack of two trades or being a master at one. However it's still your choice and i'd say do mechanical and engineering as a joint engineering course as electrical and electronic isn't really a joint engineering course as most places offer electrical engineering with electronic as a standard, and doing mechanical and electrical will give you a wider knowledge scope.
Original post by yungsiward
Help i want to work in the electric vehicle industry and idk whether to study ‘electrical and electronic engineering’ or ‘mechanical and electrical engineering’ at university

Would you rather work on the electrical components or the mechanical components?
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
Would you rather work on the electrical components or the mechanical components?

The motor and drive train seem pretty interesting to me but surely that is both mechanical and electrical://
You should probably contact someone from University that may be able to advise you about it. Even if you take the wrong course, you will be able to change it soon after if you end up finding out that's not the right one for you. Just make sure you do a lot of research and ask around, the tutors and module leaders will be able to help if you can get a hold of them.
Reply 5
Original post by Uzair787
Personally I wouldn't do a joint engineering degree as you won't be taught the same amount of content than in a single engineering course. It's like being the jack of two trades or being a master at one. However it's still your choice and i'd say do mechanical and engineering as a joint engineering course as electrical and electronic isn't really a joint engineering course as most places offer electrical engineering with electronic as a standard, and doing mechanical and electrical will give you a wider knowledge scope.

Thanks for the reply yeah i am stuck between wanting to be well educated in both fields but it seems joining them together could mean sacrificing detail in both. Maybe doing mechanical and electronic and pursuing more advanced electrical knowledge outside of my course could help idk.
Reply 6
Original post by yungsiward
The motor and drive train seem pretty interesting to me but surely that is both mechanical and electrical://

I think for your area Mechanical Engineering is more suitable. Electrical Engineers might also be working with these parts but during your degree you will mostly focus on circuitry, power, communications/signals sort of stuff and definitely less about moving parts.

However with Mechanical you will have to study some electrical modules as well. If you want to focus more on the electrical side of things you can also do so with your optional modules. Mechanical engineering is very broad on that aspect.

I’d say look at the modules of both and decide which one seems more interesting to you as you will have to study it for 3-4 years. With either degree you will be able to get a job and who knows your interests may change later on.

If you are sure you want to focus on the motor and drivetrain I’d say go Mechanical.

There’s a very good YouTube channel MajorPrep that explains both very well in terms of what you study, projects and job prospects. But definitely look at the modules of the courses you plan to apply to.

Quick Reply

Latest