The Student Room Group

mental health support at uni

what is it like? Would I get like a personal tutor or like weekly therapy? I have multiple mh issues and have declared these on. Ucas and would apply for DSA. I'm looking at Chester Uni, Liverpool Uni , Manchester Uni, Durham Uni, Keele Uni and Loughborough Uni
1) Support depends on uni. For me, at UCL it was awful, and I hope @The_Lonely_Goatherd won't mind me tagging them to say that Oxford was a bit crap as well. My masters uni (non RG) was fantastic
2) Support wise, there are uni services (drop ins and appointments with mental health trained wellbeing staff), DSA (equipment, help with transport if needed for mental health reasons and DSA funded mentor whom you would meet 1:1 every week or so)
It's quite difficult to assess for a number of reasons. Mostly talking about non-DSA related things in this post.

An MP put in a freedom of information request recently and published the results (some here) https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/mp-norman-lamb-calls-for-student-mental-health-charter-to-end-support-postcode-lottery-1-6272075 the parts of this article are one reason why it's hard to make comparisons - others have questioned the relevance of this.

It does seem to be extremely variable between institution (look at the table in the link above for funding differences) and within institution (person to person).

A person may be under CAMHS and then going to university there is going to potentially going to be a very large difference unfortunately.

Student Minds are going to launch a charter for university student mental health called the university mental health charter. In future this may give an idea of a comparison between services at different universities.

You could write off to each university by e-mail to get an idea and then maybe post on individual university forums to see if it attracts some replies. Universities do list services that can be read up on without a university login in many cases, it's just somewhere slightly less visible on their websites.

At my latest institution the focus seems to be on drop-ins. One of the things I'm very sceptical about is the university seems to refer a lot of people to outside bodies which I really question whether that's appropriate for people on such a large scale.
@Noodlzzz my experience with UCL support has also been awful, definitely isn’t a place for someone with mental health issues
Original post by frankenstein275
@Noodlzzz my experience with UCL support has also been awful, definitely isn’t a place for someone with mental health issues

Out of interest how did they deal with your mental health?
@noodlzzz sure! So I’ve always made them aware, and at one point I was particularly struggling so I came forward and asked for help which is something I found extremely hard to do(I emailed my department tutor). I was referred to UCL student wellbeing services and had to sign up and make them aware of my mental health issues. I had to email them which then led to them giving me certain hours of the week I can pop in to see them. The drop in session hours themselves all clash with my lectures so it would be impossible for me to go because I always have to hand in graded work (which gets marked down if handed in late), also the email they sent me just seemed like a general, automated email, so I just gave up. To someone suffering from mental health issues and has to balance 24 hours of lectures per week as well as constant graded assignments and tests, the drop in sessions would be extremely hard to fit in anyway because of the constant pressure on tests and assignments. It just seems like they don’t care at all.
It definitely feels like to me they throw you in the deep end to try and filter out the people that just can’t cope, it’s very dog eat dog. But obviously, this is just my experience so it may not be like this for everyone, this is just what I’ve experienced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending