The Student Room Group

Should I do an AS with my A-Levels or not?

Apparently you don’t need to do an AS (so I don’t need to drop a subject) at A-Levels if you want to fully focus on your 3 subjects. Should I do an AS or is it not worth it?
P.S in year 11 right now doing pretty well in my GCSE’s so far, going to sixthform next year
Nah don't bother. AS don't mean $hit nowadays so just stick to 3 A Levels. What A Levels are you doing out of interest?
Reply 2
Original post by Gold Panda
Nah don't bother. AS don't mean $hit nowadays so just stick to 3 A Levels. What A Levels are you doing out of interest?

oh okay phew I needed to here that. I’m predicted quite high grades in my GCSEs but I don’t want to do maths or any sciences because I know i’ll hate it. So i’m probably going to do criminology, sociology (soft subject, ik) and graphics. I will likely go on to study Law at university :\
Original post by shobnaam x
oh okay phew I needed to here that. I’m predicted quite high grades in my GCSEs but I don’t want to do maths or any sciences because I know i’ll hate it. So i’m probably going to do criminology, sociology (soft subject, ik) and graphics. I will likely go on to study Law at university :\

If you're predicted high grades and will probably want to study Law, I would pick one traditional academic subject at least by which I mean English, History, RS etc. I'm the first person to point out that you don't need any particular subjects for Law but at the same time it is a competitive subject .... it is risky in my opinion to do 3 subjects like criminology and graphics when you could choose more academic subjects.

It might not matter for less prestigious unis but it will matter for some who have too many applicants
Original post by harrysbar
If you're predicted high grades and will probably want to study Law, I would pick one traditional academic subject at least by which I mean English, History, RS etc. I'm the first person to point out that you don't need any particular subjects for Law but at the same time it is a competitive subject .... it is risky in my opinion to do 3 subjects like criminology and graphics when you could choose more academic subjects.

It might not matter for less prestigious unis but it will matter for some who have too many applicants

I totally agree with that Law, especially at top unis, is hella competitive and I don't believe that criminology (is that an actual for real A-Level subject? damn!), sociology and graphics is a good mix for you @shobnaam x. I personally agree with @harrysbar, especially since you seem to be predicted good grades for GCSEs. I would personally do at least 2 essay subjects, like English Lit or History as Law requires lots of reading. if I were a prospective law student, I would do English lit, history and maybe something like sociology to balance it out. you might be really ambitious and try a foreign language for A Level if you wanted to do law in a foreign country!
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar

Ohh okay thank you so much! This is helpful, probably going to pick English too or swap it in
Ohh okay thank you so much! This is helpful, probably going to pick English too or swap it in

That will look much better in combination with the other subjects :smile:
Reply 7
I totally agree with that Law, especially at top unis, is hella competitive and I don't believe that criminology (is that an actual for real A-Level subject? damn!), sociology and graphics is a good mix for you @shobnaam x. I personally agree with @harrysbar, especially since you seem to be predicted good grades for GCSEs. I would personally do at least 2 essay subjects, like English Lit or History as Law requires lots of reading. if I were a prospective law student, I would do English lit, history and maybe something like sociology to balance it out. you might be really ambitious and try a foreign language for A Level if you wanted to do law in a foreign country!

Thank you so muchhh!! I will probably swap criminology with English Lit. Although i’ve always disliked history and for GCSE’s I didn’t choose it. I know for sure that I wouldn’t enjoy it and would probably get a bad grade in it :0 Do you recommend any other subjects that could take its place?
English, Sociology and one other would be good - something like Criminology/Law/RS
Thank you so muchhh!! I will probably swap criminology with English Lit. Although i’ve always disliked history and for GCSE’s I didn’t choose it. I know for sure that I wouldn’t enjoy it and would probably get a bad grade in it :0 Do you recommend any other subjects that could take its place?

Literally anything else. English, sociology and another essay based subjects. Or you can balance it out with a science or maths or a foreign language if you’re up for the challenge. There isn’t really any specific subjects you have to do for law. What GCSEs are you doing and what are your roughly predicted grades? Also tell me if you enjoy/tolerate/dislike them. A Levels is a painful 2 year slog so you have to be able to handle that subject.
Literally anything else. English, sociology and another essay based subjects. Or you can balance it out with a science or maths or a foreign language if you’re up for the challenge. There isn’t really any specific subjects you have to do for law. What GCSEs are you doing and what are your roughly predicted grades? Also tell me if you enjoy/tolerate/dislike them. A Levels is a painful 2 year slog so you have to be able to handle that subject.

I’m so sorry for the late reply, i didn’t see this earlier!! Also i’m currently doing
-Combined science, higher tier (my school sent me a letter saying I should be doing triple as I can get good grades in it, but I chose not to)
-Maths
-English
-Geography
-Health & social care (we did the exam in year 10 and i got Distinction*)
-Graphics
-IT
We have mocks in 2 weeks which is when we will be getting our predicted grades and as of right now i'm not really sure. Also i’m very artistic so graphics is my most liked subject which is why I will continue with it at sixthform.
Just to point out Law is an option we can take in sixthform too but idk if it will be pointless or not.
Ok, so English, geography and maybe a science could be a good option.
Ok, so English, geography and maybe a science could be a good option.

okay thank youuu
okay thank youuu

do let me know what you intent to go with in the end! Hope I helped xx

Quick Reply

Latest