The Student Room Group

why do people shoot animals for fun??

i just don’t get it, i’m no animal rights activist but there’s this girl i know who moved colleges and does some gamekeeping course and idk it baffles me coz it’s all just those kind of people who kill animals for no reason which first of all isn’t great, and then they go on post pics on instagram of their dead animals like ???? how is that a flex

Scroll to see replies

tory voters are heartless
Reply 2
On the psychopathic spectrum I’d assume. I’m surprised there’s many people that don’t find it disturbing.
Original post by izzychloe247
i just don’t get it, i’m no animal rights activist but there’s this girl i know who moved colleges and does some gamekeeping course and idk it baffles me coz it’s all just those kind of people who kill animals for no reason which first of all isn’t great, and then they go on post pics on instagram of their dead animals like ???? how is that a flex

family tradition. often justified as legitimate population control/land management. i always make fun of veggies but these guys are the opposite extreme
it is really pathetic.
Apparently chasing a tiny terrified fox with a pack of dogs and twenty men on horses is what counts as a wholesome masculine activity in some circles
i will never understand anyone who gets enjoyment out of shooting animals for fun. would definitely avoid them.
Original post by WilliamBest
I explained this to you on Facebook my healthy African friend. Men hunt, men breed horses and train dog's, this ability for men to do this is very important. As when you have to cull and animal stock or hunt without guns, the best and most logically difficult way to do it is Fox hunting. It shows a mans ability to coordinate on such a level in war. It is training for war. This is what the Aristocracy does, it builds men to rule the Kingdom. Plebs don't understand this.

I would neg this if I could.
Reply 8
Animals are killed for food, tradition or for culling because of overpopulation. Assuming you mean people who hunt purely for fun and no other reasons, then no, I cannot explain it well. Perhaps it is to satisfy some sort of desire. But I do not understand its need and I think it is wrong.
Reply 9
To see who has the biggest ****, it seems to be particularly fun for those corporate sorts. The true irony being most of them couldnt hit the side of a barn door.
Original post by izzychloe247

I don't get it either. You get rich people paying to kill animals in Africa, so that they can get photos with them dead and put its head on their wall, or pelt on their floor. I don't understand what any well individual could possibly get from this.
I really don't understand the mentality behind this. If we were talking about people hunting animals to eat them I still might not like the idea of it but at least there'd be an obvious reason why they were doing it and I actually see this as a lot less morally objectionable than factory farming and industrial mass slaughter. But killing purely for the sake of it and posing in photos with the animals they've killed to show off- I find it disturbing that anyone would do this and be proud of it, or that anyone else would be impressed by it.
The enjoyment is typically derived from the skill involved in taking down an animal quickly and sometimes at long range. It not quite as simple as point and shoot. It takes years of practice to be able to drop a hit a moving target or drop larger animals with a single round.

I personally see little point in killing for the sake of killing. However I have no issues with killing to eat whatever it might be or for the purpose of culls which can be required to maintain a balanced ecosystem.
(edited 4 years ago)
Gamekeeping isn't about shooting animals for fun. My father was a gamekeeper for a number of years and taught me to shoot. I have never hunter for sport. It's about pest control and population management. I have shot rabbits before. Every one I shot have that blind disease of the long name beginning with m I can never spell lol.
Original post by Guru Jason
Gamekeeping isn't about shooting animals for fun. My father was a gamekeeper for a number of years and taught me to shoot. I have never hunter for sport. It's about pest control and population management. I have shot rabbits before. Every one I shot have that blind disease of the long name beginning with m I can never spell lol.

The rabbits likely had myxomatosis.

The primary purpose of a gamekeeper is to keep the "game" whether it be birds or deer to be shot by someone normally a paying customer or landowner. They can go about this is variety of ways whether it be maintaining the environment to foster wild animals or introducing new animals to be raised for the purpose of shooting. The latter is more common on driven shoots.

Regardless of the methods used it would be absurd to suggest that gamekeeping had nothing to do with shooting as a blood sport.
to later eat them or use it for decoration.
Then again people eat animals
From an evolutionary stand point this is what we used to do: Hunt and gather it isn't psychotic like everyone else seems to think.
Foxes are a pest though
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Foxes are a pest though

To chicken keepers yes, but clearly not to the average person on the street or else they’d be one of the species on the General License

Quick Reply

Latest