The Student Room Group

Changing color of alloys

Hi so I want to get the inner rim of my wheel blacked out as i’m dechroming the car. I have never done this before and I want it to look professional. It’s diamond cut alloy and Iv seen 2 methods of getting this done powder coating and just painting, I think powder coating is better but i’m not 100% sure. Can anyone tell me what’s the best option to pick, baring it mind it’s not a full color change just the inner rim from chrome to black?
Original post by G_Singh145
Hi so I want to get the inner rim of my wheel blacked out as i’m dechroming the car. I have never done this before and I want it to look professional. It’s diamond cut alloy and Iv seen 2 methods of getting this done powder coating and just painting, I think powder coating is better but i’m not 100% sure. Can anyone tell me what’s the best option to pick, baring it mind it’s not a full color change just the inner rim from chrome to black?

There's 'plasti-dipping' as well.

I would probably plast-dip if it's just the inner rim. :dontknow:

Out of interest, how much did you insurance company increase the premium by (if any) following the 'chrome delete' modifications?
Reply 3

Are you going to declare this to your insurance company?
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Out of interest, how much did you insurance company increase the premium by (if any) following the 'chrome delete' modifications?

Idk I haven’t insured it yet, i’m looking to get it in 2 or 3 weeks.
Reply 5
Original post by RoyalSheepy
There's 'plasti-dipping' as well.

I would probably plast-dip if it's just the inner rim. :dontknow:

It’s not just the inner rim it’s hard to explain without showing it to you. It’s a 5 spoke alloy and I want the most outer bit as stock but the inner side of the wheel blacked. Would have had it done from factory but they don’t offer this option in the UK for some reason but they do everywhere else in the world. So do you think plasti-dipping could still work for that type as it would require a bit of precision I believe
Reply 6
Idk I haven’t insured it yet, i’m looking to get it in 2 or 3 weeks.

Get a quote first.
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
Get a quote first.

It’s only a wheel color change and a wrap, i’m sure it won’t affect it much

If you're fully de-chroming the car, then won't you be looking to wrap the rest of it?
Reply 9

Right.........
Original post by Reality Check
If you're fully de-chroming the car, then won't you be looking to wrap the rest of it?

No the place I want to go to said they can use a black wrap for the dechrome so I can revert it if needed

Quick Reply

Latest