The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because he is gonna make Britain great again
Original post by Cheesychips2
please explain

Do you know what any of the words liberal, Marxist or oxymoron mean?
Original post by tubphonecase
Do you know what any of the words liberal, Marxist or oxymoron mean?

yeah
Reply 23
Majority will vote for Boris only because he is a conservative and the belief that he will get Brexit 'done'. There's some interesting data on it. They don't care about his negative characteristics or scandals.
because one is not an edgelord or a communist
may I ask what party you support
A lot of people I know who are voting Conservative, despite Boris Johnson being leader, is purely because they don't want Jeremy Corbyn in charge - and the only realistic way to stop Labour winning is to make the Conservatives win.

They don't like Jeremy Corbyn because he's a weak leader and his ideas are unrealistic - he has all these economic policies which may sound great on paper but in real life, they simply wouldn't work in practise. There isn't enough money for him to do it all - as people keep saying, where is this magical money tree? Also, with all the problems with anti-semitism and Labour, a study found that around 40% of Jews would seriously consider leaving the UK if Labour came to power - which is a terrifying thought.

I think it comes down to what it more important to you - social policies or economic policies. People weigh up the pros and cons and decide what they think is the lesser evil.

Also, for the record, not all Conservatives are rich, white people. Some people, even if they are in the groups which receive prejudice from people like Boris Johnson, just decide they'd rather deal with that than face the consequences of having Corbyn in power. Some strong-Conservatives I know are "terrified" of what would happen with Corbyn in power.

(Obviously everyone has their own views so you might argue that the economy would be better under Corbyn, but this is the opinion of a lot of Conservatives.)

Oh, and people who strongly agree with Johnson's "let's get Brexit done" attitude are voting for that reason.

But I also think that a lot of people are voting 'for the Conservatives' rather than 'for Boris Johnson'...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ray_Shadows
Because he is gonna make Britain great again

Ironic how tories have been in power for the last 9 years lol.
Original post by DosNex
I live in a family which hates Boris and am in a friend group that hates Boris Johnson, we have always wondered why would people support him. So those of you who do, why?

You should not allow friends and family to dictate your political opinions.

To answer your question though, Boris was only my 4th choice in the leadership contest however the choice here is between Brexit and the economic status-quo vs making a man who believes in republicanism, pacifism, withdrawal from NATO, allies with Russia and admits to increasing taxes by at least 83bn per year the Prime Minister. His worst crime to me being that he is apathetic at best towards the union.

Both men are poor but Boris does not represent any political ideology, let alone a dangerous one like the radical left.
(edited 4 years ago)
yeah

Marxism aims to end capitalism as the overarching economic and political system, seeing it as the root of economic and social problems.
Liberals believe social and economic problems do not derive from capitalism, and, therefore, do not seek to end capitalism.
A person cannot be simultaneously want to maintain and destroy capitalism, making liberal Marxist an oxymoron.
Corbyn is neither liberal nor an overt Marxist.
Marxism aims to end capitalism as the overarching economic and political system, seeing it as the root of economic and social problems.
Liberals believe social and economic problems do not derive from capitalism, and, therefore, do not seek to end capitalism.
A person cannot be simultaneously want to maintain and destroy capitalism, making liberal Marxist an oxymoron.
Corbyn is neither liberal nor an overt Marxist.

He is a leftie which is practically the same thing as a liberal
It'll be the first time I vote for the Conservatives, having previously voted Labour. I dislike Boris, but I disagree with the Brexit approach of other parties, and that's the most important short-term issue for me.
He is a leftie which is practically the same thing as a liberal

How is wanting to end capitalism practically the same thing not wanting to end capitalism?
liberal= radical views leftie= radical views. both out of their minds

You think liberals are radical? Are you serious? What radical policies do liberals have?
can I just point out that the OP is in year 10 and their views therefore dont have any weight. Anyone under the age of 18 shouldnt have an opinion on politics.
oh do you think i mean liberal democrats?

No I mean liberals generally. You don't seem to know what a liberal is.

can I just point out that the OP is in year 10 and their views therefore dont have any weight. Anyone under the age of 18 shouldnt have an opinion on politics.

You don't know what a liberal is. Teenagers should absolutely have political opinions, that's the worst take I've ever heard.
No I mean liberals generally. You don't seem to know what a liberal is.

You don't know what a liberal is. Teenagers should absolutely have political opinions, that's the worst take I've ever heard.

okay whats a liberal? Enlighten me.
And I think my take is fairly reasonable. Teenager's brains havent developed yet, and they're more prone to brainwashing.

this coming from someone who cannot even differentiate liberalism and marxism... I guess this is the mind of an average boris voter
okay whats a liberal? Enlighten me.
And I think my take is fairly reasonable. Teenager's brains havent developed yet, and they're more prone to brainwashing.

How did you entirely miss my point?
You're saying teenagers should not have political opinions, yet you don't know what you're talking about by calling Corbyn a liberal Marxist.

And defining a liberal is difficult because 'liberal' can mean many things, hence why I didn't ask you for a definition. But, in British politics the closest to a liberal party we have is the libdems. They believe in maintaining the economic system that we have and not nationalising major industries - doesn't sound very leftie to me (they're basically tories with sprinkles on top).
So, what radical ideas, views, or policies do liberals have?
Cause he is actually pretty good tbh

He came in fighting for something he believes in unlike poor Theresa who was fighting herself and even when she got pretty much the softest brexit deal possible she was still voted against and shouted at

anyway yeah he has come in with a can do attitude and he is a leader, he has got himself a cabinet with people who will work with him and not against him and he wants change, it's a lot different to the type of change others want but it's change that fits his views and well they are also a bit more realistic as well than others.

Oh and he isn't a terrorist supporter unlike a certain Mr Corbyn. Oh and he doesn't want to **** off with our national defense as well, or bankrupt the country. Oh and he doesn't mislead the country unlike Corbyn with his 'look I've got proof' stuff he came out with recently which was actually just a load of crap.

Basically his really good and I don't get why people don't like him really, I hear lots of labour, lib dem, etc supporters that chat a lot of **** about him and the conservative party in general but don't actually ever give a reason for it, and when they do it's irrelevant. Like the people that say the NHS is gonna collapse or whatever under a Tory government yet they are literally throwing money at it and have mad plans to improve it, and building new hospitals will be huge. It doesn't matter how much money you give them that won't improve it as much as people think it will

Basically he is amazing especially compared to the competitive from the other parties .

I could talk for hours about it, also the thought of Corbyn being in power is terrifying. Jo anti-democracy Swindon is the only person worse than him but she ain't never getting it do we all cool.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending