The Student Room Group

Isomer

I need help urgently I dont get any of this. Please guide me through the questions
Reply 1
Screenshot_20191203-211850_Gallery.jpg
What exactly didn't you understand and why do you need help to solve these questions?

To 4:
Butanal is an aldehyde. Do you know the functional group of this organic substance?

To 5:
pentanoic acid is a carboxylic acid. Can't you guess the functional group out?

To 6:
It is an alkene. Do you know the difference between an alkane and alkene? clue: it has to do with a bond. On which carbon atoms can be this bond? name the position of this bond and thus the isomers.

To 7:
That is a halogenalkane, so an alkane with chlorine on it to be exact. On which carbon atoms can this chlorine be placed?

To 8:
Halogenalkane again, but with two bromine atoms as halogen this time. How can those two be distributed on the chemical structure? on which carbon atoms they can be bonded?
Reply 3
Original post by Kallisto
What exactly didn't you understand and why do you need help to solve these questions?

To 4:
Butanal is an aldehyde. Do you know the functional group of this organic substance?

To 5:
pentanoic acid is a carboxylic acid. Can't you guess the functional group out?

To 6:
It is an alkene. Do you know the difference between an alkane and alkene? clue: it has to do with a bond. On which carbon atoms can be this bond? name the position of this bond and thus the isomers.

To 7:
That is a halogenalkane, so an alkane with chlorine on it to be exact. On which carbon atoms can this chlorine be placed?

To 8:
Halogenalkane again, but with two bromine atoms as halogen this time. How can those two be distributed on the chemical structure? on which carbon atoms they can be bonded?

15754113059168601700932525017397.jpg
would this be correct (i dont know if my drawing are right)
Reply 4
Original post by Jshek
15754113059168601700932525017397.jpg
would this be correct (i dont know if my drawing are right)

15754139519473170425461553998963.jpgand this one please
Reply 5
That’s not pentanoic acid you’ve drawn that’s propyl ethanoate which is an ester, which works as a functional group isomer. The carboxylate group is always at the end of the chain so you don’t number it’s position.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
A chain isomer of pentanoic acid would be methylbutanoic acid or dimethylpropanoic acid - label with carbon atoms the methyl groups are on eg 2-methylbutanoicacid, numbering from the carbon of the carboxylate ion as carbon 1.
Reply 7
Original post by Deggs_14
That’s not pentanoic acid you’ve drawn that’s propyl ethanoate which is an ester, which works as a functional group isomer. The carboxylate group is always at the end of the chain so you don’t number it’s position.

I'm confused because pentanoic acid is C5H10O2 which is what I drawer
Original post by Jshek
I'm confused because pentanoic acid is C5H10O2 which is what I drawer

The aldehydes in 4a) and 4c) are wrong too. There is no Aldehyde group (-CHO) drawn for this kind organic substance. And as it is written above, pentanoic acid as a carboxylic acid has a carboxyl group (-COOH), that is what can't be seen in your sketch.
Reply 9
The aldehydes in 4a) and 4c) are wrong too. There is no Aldehyde group (-CHO) drawn for this kind organic substance. And as it is written above, pentanoic acid as a carboxylic acid has a carboxyl group (-COOH), that is what can't be seen in your sketch.

For 4a I have C double bond O and H which gives me COH right?
Reply 10

I've drawn C double bond O single bond O and H at the end of pentanoic acid which gives me COOH? What am I doing wrong?
Original post by Jshek
I've drawn C double bond O single bond O and H at the end of pentanoic acid which gives me COOH? What am I doing wrong?

The functional groups are on the first C-atoms:

For the -CHO on aldehydes, an O double bond and an H are connected on this C atom.

For the -COOH in carboxylic acid, an O double bond and -O-H bond is on the first C-atom connected.

Both are not drawn in your sketches.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
The functional groups are on the first C-atoms:

For the -CHO on aldehydes, an O double bond and an H are connected on this C atom.

For the -COOH in carboxylic acid, an O double bond and -O-H bond is on the first C-atom connected.

Both are not drawn in your sketches.

Like that
15754734042352929391464971280629.jpg
Original post by Jshek
Like that
15754734042352929391464971280629.jpg

Send you some links to aldehyde and carboxylic acid. Look at them and compare.

Aldehyde
http://www.u-helmich.de/che/EF/atom/bilder2018/aldehyd01.jpg

R stands for the chain length of hydrocarbons

Carboxylic acid
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Carboxylic_Acid_General_Structure_V.1.svg/260px-Carboxylic_Acid_General_Structure_V.1.svg.png

The same here: R is the chain length of hydrocarbons.

Quick Reply

Latest