The Student Room Group

Are my university choices too high?

Hi, I'm being in a real dilemma about my UCAS application as I fear the universities I have down are a bit too high for my current grade.

Current grades (A Levels)
History - A (I was originally predicted a B but they moved it up considering how well I performed in mocks, coursework and class work.)
Business - A
Law - B

GCSEs: 987766554B

I'm applying for:
UCL (History with a Year Abroad) - Offers start at ABB due to having a contextual offer
SOAS (History & Chinese) - AAB-ABB
Loughborough (History & Politics) - ABB
QMUL (History with a Year Abroad) - ABB
And I was thinking perhaps Royal Holloway for my last choice.

My parents are keen on me getting into UCL which is a huge feat in itself and I have a feeling I'm going to be rejected. My godparents and family are really pressuring me to get in, which I'm not even sure is possible but it's only because they want me to be in a university in the top 10 rankings.

Besides that, looking at my overall grades and potential choices, would it be wiser to look for a BBB choice or something even lower? I'm really struggling in Law and I'm worried I won't even make the B grade that is needed. Just looking for a straight answer and some advice, don't worry about buttering things up!
If you have contextual factors, then I think those are perfectly reasonable options. Having one "aspirational" choice is pretty common, and the rest of your options would be reasonable choices even if you didn't have contextual factors. I think your choices are quite reasonable as is, and you could even use your last one as a second "aspirational" choice if you have contextual factors and you know the university makes reduced offers for those.
My major concern is seeing Loughborough in amongst a group of London Universities. Loughborough is a small town and totally different to you r other choices. Do you think you will settle there. Given you are entitled to contextual offers I would suggest looking at Bristol which is a fairly big city and something similar to UCL or alternatively Exeter which is very strong for History and also offers many contextual offers although it is a fairly small city but double the size of Loughborough Royal Holloway again is some way out of Central London and is a very green semi rural environment. I would suggest looking at somewhere like Cardiff which is more of a city experience and tend to be more flexible with grades.
Purely from a grades perspective, I think these are perfectly sensible choices. There will be lots of History programmes available in Extra/Adjustment/Clearing so there's not as much risk in being a little more aspirational at this stage.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
If you have contextual factors, then I think those are perfectly reasonable options. Having one "aspirational" choice is pretty common, and the rest of your options would be reasonable choices even if you didn't have contextual factors. I think your choices are quite reasonable as is, and you could even use your last one as a second "aspirational" choice if you have contextual factors and you know the university makes reduced offers for those.

Hi, thanks for the reply! Since all my grades required for universities have an A, would it perhaps be a wiser choice to go for one with BBB, just in case I cannot secure an A for any of my subjects? UCL is probably my aspirational choice as the grades to get in is AAA but have been lowered to ABB for the contextual offer, and it doesn't seem likely for me to achieve AAA in my A-Levels in August. Therefore AAB/ABB is the type of standard I need. I've been looking at Manchester, Leeds, York, Kings, etc, and they seem to all be AAA and I think at the end of the day I rather go to UCL if it's possible. Just worried that I might not get an A in at least one of my subjects and end up being rejected.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
My major concern is seeing Loughborough in amongst a group of London Universities. Loughborough is a small town and totally different to you r other choices. Do you think you will settle there. Given you are entitled to contextual offers I would suggest looking at Bristol which is a fairly big city and something similar to UCL or alternatively Exeter which is very strong for History and also offers many contextual offers although it is a fairly small city but double the size of Loughborough Royal Holloway again is some way out of Central London and is a very green semi rural environment. I would suggest looking at somewhere like Cardiff which is more of a city experience and tend to be more flexible with grades.

Hi, thanks so much for the reply! I'm actually from an area that is fairly small but is about an hour commute to London, and I've always preferred to stay in the city, hence most of my choices are in London. Moreover, I'm not too worried about the nightlife, and probably the biggest factor in why I want to study in London is because I'd like to be close to a Chinese population since I'm Chinese. My parents are really big on the rankings and prefer anything in the top 20-ish, and Loughborough seemed quite high with only ABB requirement which seemed reasonable for my current standing in terms of grades. I was looking at Bristol, and in fact they do offer my SF lower grade boundaries for some weird reason, have absolutely no idea why but it's probably something to do with the demographics. Not sure about Cardiff though... But thank you so much for the help!
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Purely from a grades perspective, I think these are perfectly sensible choices. There will be lots of History programmes available in Extra/Adjustment/Clearing so there's not as much risk in being a little more aspirational at this stage.

Thanks for the reply! I hear that there are quite a lot, but I'm only worried that I've also heard that History fills up quite quickly in both applications and clearing. Problem is with choosing another aspirational university, I don't really think I'll be able to achieve AAA in my final grades and UCL is already my aspirational as they have lowered the entrance requirements from AAA to ABB. Might just be because I'm a bit of a pessimist and I don't think I could probably get the grades needed.
But thank you so much for the help!
Reply 7
Original post by chunyang
Thanks for the reply! I hear that there are quite a lot, but I'm only worried that I've also heard that History fills up quite quickly in both applications and clearing. Problem is with choosing another aspirational university, I don't really think I'll be able to achieve AAA in my final grades and UCL is already my aspirational as they have lowered the entrance requirements from AAA to ABB. Might just be because I'm a bit of a pessimist and I don't think I could probably get the grades needed.
But thank you so much for the help!

I’d suggest Newcastle uni but you seemed have to gone for unis in the south of England
Reply 8
Original post by chunyang
Hi, thanks so much for the reply! I'm actually from an area that is fairly small but is about an hour commute to London, and I've always preferred to stay in the city, hence most of my choices are in London. Moreover, I'm not too worried about the nightlife, and probably the biggest factor in why I want to study in London is because I'd like to be close to a Chinese population since I'm Chinese. My parents are really big on the rankings and prefer anything in the top 20-ish, and Loughborough seemed quite high with only ABB requirement which seemed reasonable for my current standing in terms of grades. I was looking at Bristol, and in fact they do offer my SF lower grade boundaries for some weird reason, have absolutely no idea why but it's probably something to do with the demographics. Not sure about Cardiff though... But thank you so much for the help!

I would also have suggested Bristol as it meets all your criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending