The Student Room Group

Me and my parents can't afford to pay for my a levels

Hey so rn I'm in a bit of a pickle cus I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford to sit three a levels this summer

I plan on sitting a level Maths, chemistry and accounting I'm self teaching and I have tutors in maths and chemistry so I'm a private candidate and at my local exam centre the total cost is just under £3000 no cap

My parents are on benifits atm and I'm just doing modelling rn but it's not that regular like last month I didn't get any modelling work at all but usually on a good month I can get about £700 a month but I spend a lot of this on my appearance, protein supplements and amino acids, food, gym membership, Facebook for buying likes, promoting my pages and posts which in turn gets me more followers and views on my vlogs, clothes and technology and the rest goes on my social life cinema, bowling, sometimes alcohol and stuff

So realistically it looks like I'll have to do chemistry next summer and do maths and accounting this summer. I will try and get another job when ii turn 18 perhaps a warehouse or factory job I'll try and graft it out and study hardcore

Atm I'm not sure if I should be focusing on my maths and accounting more and chemistry not as much and smash chemistry next year or study all three at the same rate as I've been doing till lately my future is quite uncertain rn and I do feel a bit down but I'm tryna get through it my eyes are still on getting into uni even though sometimes I don't feel that motivated

Scroll to see replies

*bump*
There really is no need to bump a post after two minutes.

One thing struck me in your expenditure: 'buying facebook likes'? What does that mean?
Are you under 19 years old?
Original post by Mixedraceguy
Hey so rn I'm in a bit of a pickle cus I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford to sit three a levels this summer

I plan on sitting a level Maths, chemistry and accounting I'm self teaching and I have tutors in maths and chemistry so I'm a private candidate and at my local exam centre the total cost is just under £3000 no cap

My parents are on benifits atm and I'm just doing modelling rn but it's not that regular like last month I didn't get any modelling work at all but usually on a good month I can get about £700 a month but I spend a lot of this on my appearance, protein supplements and amino acids, food, gym membership, Facebook for buying likes, promoting my pages and posts which in turn gets me more followers and views on my vlogs, clothes and technology and the rest goes on my social life cinema, bowling, sometimes alcohol and stuff

So realistically it looks like I'll have to do chemistry next summer and do maths and accounting this summer. I will try and get another job when ii turn 18 perhaps a warehouse or factory job I'll try and graft it out and study hardcore

Atm I'm not sure if I should be focusing on my maths and accounting more and chemistry not as much and smash chemistry next year or study all three at the same rate as I've been doing till lately my future is quite uncertain rn and I do feel a bit down but I'm tryna get through it my eyes are still on getting into uni even though sometimes I don't feel that motivated

Look for a different centre - that sounds very expensive.
Original post by OR321
You spend a lot on your appearance and buying likes???? You’re not poor, you’re stupid :smile:

These elements are frequently encountered within the modelling industry.
He's earning money as a model; using social media to boost his profile and broaden his professional portfolio of paid photo-shoots.
Original post by londonmyst
These elements are frequently encountered within the modelling industry.
He's earning money as a model; using social media to boost his profile and broaden his professional portfolio of paid photo-shoots.

Ohhh okay. I have a bad habit of skim reading lmao. But thanks :smile:
Sorry to op for being a rude **** 😂
Original post by Reality Check
There really is no need to bump a post after two minutes.

One thing struck me in your expenditure: 'buying facebook likes'? What does that mean?

You pay money to sponsor a post and ppl se it like for example If I pay £20 to sponsor a post it will be seen by 20k ppl and it depends what kinda selfie it is put say its showing my abs I would get around 500 likes if I pay £20 for a vlog sponsor I would get between 3k and 8k views
Original post by Muttley79
Look for a different centre - that sounds very expensive.

I could look for some further a field but I used it last summer for my AS exams it's the chemistry that's expensive it costs over1K for the practical lessons and the exams just cost around £600 so if I just did maths and accounting this summer it would be £1200
(edited 4 years ago)
You pay money to sponsor a post and ppl se it like for example If I pay £20 to sponsor a post it will be seen by 20k ppl and it depends what kinda selfie it is put say its showing my abs I would get around 500 likes if I pay £20 for a vlog sponsor I would get between 3k and 8k views

Oh I see - thanks for explaining that. And do facebook 'views' mean something? From a financial point of view?
Original post by londonmyst
Are you under 19 years old?

Yes I'm 17 rn ill be 18 in January
Original post by OR321
You spend a lot on your appearance and buying likes???? You’re not poor, you’re stupid :smile:

That's what some ppl think but it's my lifestyle I've chosen iand hopefully it will be a success story that I'm broadcasting
Original post by OR321
Ohhh okay. I have a bad habit of skim reading lmao. But thanks :smile:
Sorry to op for being a rude **** 😂

Its cool 😅
Original post by Reality Check
Oh I see - thanks for explaining that. And do facebook 'views' mean something? From a financial point of view?

I wouldn't say it means a great deal financially,as I don't have any merchandise iand so far it's not been very profitable it increases my fanbase and gets me more known on a fame and clout sort of thing but some modelling agents and ppl in the industry I assume follow some of my vlogs specifically the ones which are model themed and could potentially contact my agent if they felt they wanted me for a shoot or summat for example this guy who is launching some clothing merchandise saw one of my sponsored modelling social media posts and follows my vlogs dmed me about a shoot and he needs models
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm not sure about the cost of private a levels but are you sure thats right? maybe have a look at other centres? or even better, phone the exam boards? are there bursaries available for you?
I get paid to go on dates, hun.

It's an effective way to fund your Uni tuition as well as your A-Level fees.
Original post by OR321

respectful much
Original post by cheerIeader
I get paid to go on dates, hun.

It's an effective way to fund your Uni tuition as well as your A-Level fees.

Meh I'm not that kinda guy like I have a gf and i don't kiss other girls though don't think I would do it even if I was payed too assuming my date wants a kiss 😁

Are you a cheerleader for uni or sixth form?
Meh I'm not that kinda guy like I have a gf and i don't kiss other girls though don't think I would do it even if I was payed too assuming my date wants a kiss 😁

Are you a cheerleader for uni or sixth form?

Well it's time you start kissing other girls because I'm on the market and I get what I want, hun.

And neither. I'm from the UK and cheerleaders don't run here.
why does it cost money if ur under 18? cant u just go to a school and explain ur situation and join the sixth form there? and it would be free?

if not then you could always take another year out
Original post by Skeletonclique21
I'm not sure about the cost of private a levels but are you sure thats right? maybe have a look at other centres? or even better, phone the exam boards? are there bursaries available for you?

Yh it's defo right it's the 12 chemistry practical lessons needed that cost over 1k the exams are just 600 per subject now cus I'll be a late entry just gotta enter by March 15th I'm not sure about other exam centres this one is 30 miles from my gaf there's only one school that takes private candidates in my county and that doesn't do accounting or aqa chemistry
I think any private candidate has to pay that fee that's what I was told at my exam centre last summer as I noticed there were some 16 and 17 year olds in my exams so I asked

Me and my parents have reached out for bursaries but haven't found anything we're at loss ends but we could phone up aqa we emailed them but they didn't seem to get back to us
Original post by anonymous230
why does it cost money if ur under 18? cant u just go to a school and explain ur situation and join the sixth form there? and it would be free?

if not then you could always take another year out

That's just the fee for any private candidate I also payed for my gcses when I was 16 well my parents did but yh

I'm thinking just do chem next year and see if i can get a better grade or summat and it will defo be affordable that way
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest