The Student Room Group

Further Maths

Hey, I’m currently in year 11 and I’m choosing my options to take at A Level. I’m unsure whether to take maths, economics and further maths, or maths, economics and one of either geography or history. Do universities consider maths and further maths less competitive? Thanks
it depends on which subject you want to study at uni, furthermath is essentially compulsary if u want to study math or to a lesser degree engineering or physics. but universities certainly dont consider math and further math less competitive
Reply 2
Original post by burntcherrio
it depends on which subject you want to study at uni, furthermath is essentially compulsary if u want to study math or to a lesser degree engineering or physics. but universities certainly dont consider math and further math less competitive

I want to study a finance or economics related subject, preferably at a Russel group university would further maths be advantageous? Or would it be considered insufficiently broad?
Original post by JayJ16
I want to study a finance or economics related subject, preferably at a Russel group university would further maths be advantageous? Or would it be considered insufficiently broad?

further math would definetly be advantageous , in fact to study econ at cambridge you need 2 interviews one of them is an econ one and the other is with the math department. so further math would be better than history or geo to study econ or finance. also how does your school do further math, do they do a level math in year 12 and further in 13 or do they do math and further math at the same time so as math and as further in year 12 and the a levels in year 13. you could always pick 4 and drop one whenever you want during year 12
Reply 4
Original post by burntcherrio
further math would definetly be advantageous , in fact to study econ at cambridge you need 2 interviews one of them is an econ one and the other is with the math department. so further math would be better than history or geo to study econ or finance. also how does your school do further math, do they do a level math in year 12 and further in 13 or do they do math and further math at the same time so as math and as further in year 12 and the a levels in year 13. you could always pick 4 and drop one whenever you want during year 12

In my school if you opt to take further maths you start both the maths and further maths course in year 12. Is it worth doing 4 a levels then including maths and further maths? Or would the work load be too overwhelming?
Reply 5
Original post by teinal
Doing further maths guarantess you an A* in maths. Universities arent allowed to ask for it as a requirement since some schools dont offer it but it is essential for maths-related degrees.

Would doing further maths, maths and economics be too narrow?
Reply 6
Original post by JayJ16

No but if u wanna do STEM subjects you woud need physics too.
Original post by JayJ16
In my school if you opt to take further maths you start both the maths and further maths course in year 12. Is it worth doing 4 a levels then including maths and further maths? Or would the work load be too overwhelming?

you dont have to do 4 entierly, you could just sample 4 for a month or 2 at the start at year 12 and drop which ever one you dont like if you find it too hard( this is what i would suggest as it essentially pushes the decision to after you tried everything) . it would seem your school picked the harder option tho, im in year 13 rn and my school picked the other option so im allready done with math a level, and im doing fm now.
Original post by JayJ16

not for econ or finance

Quick Reply

Latest